border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-15, 06:17 PM   #31
Zelg

Re: Rattlesnake killed by feeder squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Mangroves are a slender, semi-arboreal to arboreal large rear-fanged snake. They easily reach sizes of 10 feet. Are notably defensive especially in the evening/night when they are known to be active.

I fully believe people should treat them just like a venomous snake and hook them just the same. Nothing should be taken lightly when it has the potential to injure/harm you.

Crazy. They get quite a bit bigger than I thought then.
Old 02-11-15, 07:53 PM   #32
pet_snake_78

Banning all rear fanged snakes seems extreme to me. There are a few researchers gathering information on the subject and I see a couple of lists have been published classifying rear fanged snakes into categories based on likelihood of danger to humans. Although the information its based on are incomplete, it's certainly a better starting point for laws than saying all rear fanged snakes are illegal. By that standard, wouldn't ringneck snakes be "too dangerous" and I've only personally handled about 10,000 of those in my life. Miracle I am still breathing! May as well ban earthworms and butterflies at that point.
Old 02-12-15, 03:52 AM   #33
Kuamata

Yeah, False Water Cobras were another rear fanged on my list. As far as hoggies, if you let them chew, all that may happen is some mild pain associated with swelling. Somewhere I read nausea and a light fever may also occur... In cases of an allergic reaction, death can occur.. kind of russian roulette if you don't know if you're allergic or not. Mangroves definitely pack a more powerful punch. Agree that just because they're rear fanged doesn't mean they should be taken lightly.
Old 02-12-15, 07:37 AM   #34
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuamata View Post
Yeah, False Water Cobras were another rear fanged on my list. As far as hoggies, if you let them chew, all that may happen is some mild pain associated with swelling. Somewhere I read nausea and a light fever may also occur... In cases of an allergic reaction, death can occur.. kind of russian roulette if you don't know if you're allergic or not. Mangroves definitely pack a more powerful punch. Agree that just because they're rear fanged doesn't mean they should be taken lightly.
There's a thread by a member named 'Jaleely". She was bitten by her hognose and took pics and logged the history of the bite and the pain. It certainly was more than "mild pain" and swelling.

You'll live and most likely keep your limbs however I don't know why anyone would want this unpleasant feeling. Or be okay with the possibility of it happening.
Old 02-12-15, 07:38 AM   #35
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet_snake_78 View Post
Banning all rear fanged snakes seems extreme to me. There are a few researchers gathering information on the subject and I see a couple of lists have been published classifying rear fanged snakes into categories based on likelihood of danger to humans. Although the information its based on are incomplete, it's certainly a better starting point for laws than saying all rear fanged snakes are illegal. By that standard, wouldn't ringneck snakes be "too dangerous" and I've only personally handled about 10,000 of those in my life. Miracle I am still breathing! May as well ban earthworms and butterflies at that point.
No one said everything should be banned.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-12-15, 09:04 AM   #36
yeloowtang

I agree about the mangrove !! took me a while to find this info.. but regarding the venom:
quote"
A Note On Venom Although very little is known about the venom's affect on humans, it is comparable to that of a death adder. Poorly evolved fangs and a poor delivery system make this snake's bite likely less than life threatening. Since they have a primitive means of venom delivery, they are not likely to pose a threat to a healthy adult.
quote"

in my collection, the way i see it, if i could combine my red female ATB who's a complete b###h nasty as can be with the size of my SD reticulated pyuthon female and add the venom part... it gives me a good idea how a mangrove would be like...
no way would that be at all legal where i live. plus, even if i would love to have one and they were legal !!! having kids at home, not sure that i would take the risk .. accidents do happen.

but on the venom, bearded dragons have a mild venom and are sold to anyone, of course nothing compared to a mangrove but if they were to start going crazzy on reptiles, many could possibly be banned too.

again, where i live, the municipal by-law is purposly vague, this gives the animal control officer a case by case option and can do what he wants depending on how he feels that day..
i've contacted him directly (hidden ID of course) and he confirmed that..

i also like baron racers (also venemous), rhino rat snakes (believe not venemous or maybe verry mild ) but both rear fanged.. and since he wasn't clear on his position regarding rear fangs or small hogs !!!!!
it's best to not keep them ( in my case anyways) just because if some day they knock on my door , i want all my snakes to be legal..
even if they are, i still don't trust them and stay under the radar as much as possible.
simply because they could walk in to see all my animals in the reserved climat controlled room for them with closed door, locked cages, clean, healty and say all is ok here no worries, only to come back a few days later with a warrant and the media band wagon for a sensational news day...
Old 02-12-15, 09:47 AM   #37
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfreak View Post
I have been keeping snake for over 20+ years and have never heard of any one feeding squirrels.

I am think troll to.
Attachment 31137Attachment 31138
there's folk over here who feed DEAD wild squirrels to their snakes mate

don't know how big your squirrels are in the States though Chuck ?

as long as the prey has not been exposed to pesticides,etc...

over here folk will feed wild prey if they have access to them,most folk shoot the prey,then use a medical metal detector to find the bullet or pellets used,then remove them

free food if you have permission to shoot on unfarmed countryside type land

cheers shaun
Old 02-12-15, 09:51 AM   #38
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloowtang View Post
let me see if i can track that info down, i read about it in another forum not to long ago... some were saying that it may not be long before they too ban them, that it would be best to get them before that so they are granfathered in !!!

haven taid much attention since they are illegal in my province, hell i would like to have a mangrove snake , but the fact they are rear fanged and somewhat venemous, i can't risk it
over here Mangroves were taken off the DWA list,so are no longer classed as hot's

one day i fancy keeping a few Mangroves,beautiful snakes,intelligent fast and feisty,they be

i agree with Aaron,that you should not under estimate these snakes and always use hooks when dealing with them

cheers shaun

P.S. I'm not feeding the troll,merely high jacking their thread to talk to you folks
Old 02-12-15, 10:14 AM   #39
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunyboy View Post
over here Mangroves were taken off the DWA list,so are no longer classed as hot's

one day i fancy keeping a few Mangroves,beautiful snakes,intelligent fast and feisty,they be

i agree with Aaron,that you should not under estimate these snakes and always use hooks when dealing with them

cheers shaun

P.S. I'm not feeding the troll,merely high jacking their thread to talk to you folks
The mod team is keeping an eye on the troll. Good things have come from this thread so it can stay.
Old 02-12-15, 06:36 PM   #40
Kuamata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
There's a thread by a member named 'Jaleely". She was bitten by her hognose and took pics and logged the history of the bite and the pain. It certainly was more than "mild pain" and swelling.

You'll live and most likely keep your limbs however I don't know why anyone would want this unpleasant feeling. Or be okay with the possibility of it happening.
I guess it really depends on how much you swell. Obviously if you have a lot of swelling, you're going to have more skin tension, which means more pain... Still, just because you may get off the hook with swelling, pain, nausea, and/or a small fever, doesn't mean it's not a cause for concern. As I said, allergic reactions can definitely prove fatal if not treated ASAP. More severe swelling may cut off circulation and cause loss of limbs like fingers, but it's rare when it comes to hoggies. Others? Yeah, you're probably more likely to lose a finger, maybe even more, just depends.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-12-15, 10:57 PM   #41
MDT

The pain is caused by much more than skin "tension". Components of the venom itself induce pain (bradykinins, etc...), other components allow for increased vascular permeability, which leads to the giant sausage finger....as far as allergies go...you're not gonna be allergic to it just "de novo". You gotta be exposed to whatever protein first, then become sensitized...so it's the second bite that will be the issue if you develop an allergy to any component of the venom. Frankly, with envenomation, allergies are the last thing I'd worry about.....

Weren't we talking about some goofball feeding a squirrel to a rattlesnake ???
Old 02-13-15, 12:01 AM   #42
Kuamata

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
The pain is caused by much more than skin "tension". Components of the venom itself induce pain (bradykinins, etc...), other components allow for increased vascular permeability, which leads to the giant sausage finger....as far as allergies go...you're not gonna be allergic to it just "de novo". You gotta be exposed to whatever protein first, then become sensitized...so it's the second bite that will be the issue if you develop an allergy to any component of the venom. Frankly, with envenomation, allergies are the last thing I'd worry about.....

Weren't we talking about some goofball feeding a squirrel to a rattlesnake ???
Ah, thanks for shedding light on that. I don't know all yhe really specific stuff like bradykinins and stuff. I jist know envenomation is no good.
Old 02-13-15, 01:25 PM   #43
D Grade

Lets not forget about Coral Snakes as far as rear fanged venomous snakes go. If you're willing to handle a Mangrove , you'd might as well handle a Coral as well (sarcastic, not recommending).
Anatolius - 1.0 Honduran Milk (Lampropeltis Triangulum Hondurensis) Valentina - 0.1 Sonoran Gopher (Pituophis Catenifer Affinis) Medusa - 0.1 Black-Tailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus Molossus Molossus) Bubba - 1.0 AZ Mountain King (Lampropeltis Pyromelana)
Old 02-13-15, 02:30 PM   #44
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Grade View Post
Lets not forget about Coral Snakes as far as rear fanged venomous snakes go. If you're willing to handle a Mangrove , you'd might as well handle a Coral as well (sarcastic, not recommending).
North American Coral snakes have front fangs. Fixed, small and weak fangs, with lethal venom.
Old 02-13-15, 05:24 PM   #45
D Grade

Really? I thought I read they were rear fanged. :/ I swear I learn something new everyday here.

Thanks for the clarification.
Anatolius - 1.0 Honduran Milk (Lampropeltis Triangulum Hondurensis) Valentina - 0.1 Sonoran Gopher (Pituophis Catenifer Affinis) Medusa - 0.1 Black-Tailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus Molossus Molossus) Bubba - 1.0 AZ Mountain King (Lampropeltis Pyromelana)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
death, feeder, rattle, snake, squirrel