border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-15, 10:15 AM   #16
knox

Re: Rattlesnake killed by feeder squirrel

Don't feed the trolls, guys. Come on, we are smarter than that on this forum.
Old 02-10-15, 11:15 AM   #17
reptiledude987

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
So, one post with kind of an odd story...no responses from OP? Seems strange. Further...OP knew about "infection" on snake's head...no treatment mentioned..no vet (don't know what venomous laws are in the Great White North)...just seems weird.
In Canada hots are legal federally so they are legal to import to the country for the sake of zoos and such. However there are no municipal exceptions allowing them to be owned (as far as I could find). I looked into this months back after a chat with Aaron re adding a hot to my collection. After doing some research theres nowhere I could find to have one legally unless you have a zoo type permit. The research I did was primarily for Ont but as far as I remember laws were very similar for the rest of the country.
Old 02-10-15, 01:12 PM   #18
yeloowtang

I agree, and that was my first question when i saw he was from canada..
last i heared , only a few remote places in ONT allowed hots, the rest of Canada ??
i'm in Quebec and they are totaly iilegal here and most other provinces too.

I tend to think Throll as well, who would even think of catching a wild animal to feed a captive snake ??
would never even trust rats,mice from outside !! who know what they ate or desease they can carry..
sad story if this really happen..
Old 02-10-15, 01:22 PM   #19
reptiledude987

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloowtang View Post
I agree, and that was my first question when i saw he was from canada..
last i heared , only a few remote places in ONT allowed hots, the rest of Canada ??
i'm in Quebec and they are totaly iilegal here and most other provinces too.

I tend to think Throll as well, who would even think of catching a wild animal to feed a captive snake ??
would never even trust rats,mice from outside !! who know what they ate or desease they can carry..
sad story if this really happen..
What remote areas of Ont are they legal? I looked and found nothing. I'm moving soon and would be willing to travel to work if legally owning hots was an option. I belive this is a troll as well but hey if usefull info can come of the thread why not?
Old 02-10-15, 02:06 PM   #20
yeloowtang

let me see if i can track that info down, i read about it in another forum not to long ago... some were saying that it may not be long before they too ban them, that it would be best to get them before that so they are granfathered in !!!

haven taid much attention since they are illegal in my province, hell i would like to have a mangrove snake , but the fact they are rear fanged and somewhat venemous, i can't risk it
Old 02-10-15, 02:18 PM   #21
reptiledude987

Exactly what I'm thinking. I dont want anything lethal but there are alot of really cool rear fanged species with mild venom like hoggies that I'd love to add to my collection. As far as I know hoggies seem to be the only "exception" to the rule. As there were many for sale at the most recent expo in toronto but there are several similar spesies like the mangroves that fall into a similar catagory.
Old 02-10-15, 10:54 PM   #22
Kuamata

I'm not even in Canada and in the same boat. Kentucky bans all rearfanged 'venomous' species except the hognose. Otherwise I would definitely add a Mangrove.
Old 02-11-15, 11:17 AM   #23
reptiledude987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuamata View Post
I'm not even in Canada and in the same boat. Kentucky bans all rearfanged 'venomous' species except the hognose. Otherwise I would definitely add a Mangrove.
This is what I dont get why say hoggies are ok but mangroves arent when theyre both equally "dangerous"???
Old 02-11-15, 02:26 PM   #24
Zelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptiledude987 View Post
Exactly what I'm thinking. I dont want anything lethal but there are alot of really cool rear fanged species with mild venom like hoggies that I'd love to add to my collection. As far as I know hoggies seem to be the only "exception" to the rule. As there were many for sale at the most recent expo in toronto but there are several similar spesies like the mangroves that fall into a similar catagory.

I'm pretty lacking in knowledge when it comes to snakes but my gut reaction to this is wondering why you think that mangroves and hoggies are similar. I mean other than the obvious rear fanged classification.

I'm going to assume that you've read about rear fanged snakes needing to "chew" in their venom as opposed to a viper that injects the venom directly into you in one swift bite. You mention mild venom hoggies but then in your next post, wonder why hoggies are ok but mangroves are not AND stating that they are equally as dangerous.

Again, I'm not the most knowledgeable guy but it sounds like you need to do a lot of reading up on the snakes you're interested in. Like book reading or article reading. Learn a little bit about rear fanged snakes IN GENERAL and then move on to your specific interests and learn as much as you can about the risks of owning and caring for the snake of your interest. Dont just assume that because hoggies are sold to kids as starter snakes that it means that mangroves should be treated the same. Also, compare the size of the two. I know we're talking about venom the size difference shouldnt be ignored either.
Old 02-11-15, 02:39 PM   #25
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelg View Post
I'm pretty lacking in knowledge when it comes to snakes but my gut reaction to this is wondering why you think that mangroves and hoggies are similar. I mean other than the obvious rear fanged classification.

I'm going to assume that you've read about rear fanged snakes needing to "chew" in their venom as opposed to a viper that injects the venom directly into you in one swift bite. You mention mild venom hoggies but then in your next post, wonder why hoggies are ok but mangroves are not AND stating that they are equally as dangerous.

Again, I'm not the most knowledgeable guy but it sounds like you need to do a lot of reading up on the snakes you're interested in. Like book reading or article reading. Learn a little bit about rear fanged snakes IN GENERAL and then move on to your specific interests and learn as much as you can about the risks of owning and caring for the snake of your interest. Dont just assume that because hoggies are sold to kids as starter snakes that it means that mangroves should be treated the same. Also, compare the size of the two. I know we're talking about venom the size difference shouldnt be ignored either.
I don't think he meant a mangrove viper, I think he meant a mangrove snake. Mangrove snakes are a rear fanged colubrids, as opposed to the mangrove viper which is a viper and not rear fanged.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-11-15, 02:46 PM   #26
Zelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopySnake View Post
I don't think he meant a mangrove viper, I think he meant a mangrove snake. Mangrove snakes are a rear fanged colubrids, as opposed to the mangrove viper which is a viper and not rear fanged.
I should have been a littler clearer I think. I WAS referring to the mangrove snake, not the viper. I was just trying to highlight that theres a difference between the two delivery systems (rear fanged vs vipers or other snakes that inject) and that just because snakes are rear fanged and dont require a hot license, doesnt mean that the snake is not dangerous (a little research for the OP sounds absolutely neccesary. As I understand it, mangroves bites can be fairy dangerous, at least more dangerous than hognose bites. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 02-11-15, 02:52 PM   #27
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelg View Post
I should have been a littler clearer I think. I WAS referring to the mangrove snake, not the viper. I was just trying to highlight that theres a difference between the two delivery systems (rear fanged vs vipers or other snakes that inject) and that just because snakes are rear fanged and dont require a hot license, doesnt mean that the snake is not dangerous (a little research for the OP sounds absolutely neccesary. As I understand it, mangroves bites can be fairy dangerous, at least more dangerous than hognose bites. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Oh okay I got confused because you mentioned vipers. I don't know anything about their venom. I have also heard their bites aren't too pretty, though. I agree that they can still be dangerous even if they're rear fanged.
Old 02-11-15, 03:06 PM   #28
Zelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopySnake View Post
Oh okay I got confused because you mentioned vipers. I don't know anything about their venom. I have also heard their bites aren't too pretty, though. I agree that they can still be dangerous even if they're rear fanged.
No worries friend. I dont know exactly how mangrove bites are but everything i've heard people say is that they're not to be taken too lightly.

One other thing OP might want to do is check out youtube videos of people handling these snakes(misc. rear fanged). People handling their hognoses do so without worry. The few videos i've watched of people handling their mangroves, its been with great care and a careful eye on where that head is at all times. Not to mention I constantly hear that they are aggressive/easily agitated so handling isnt always easy with them.

Again, I dont own any rear fanged but the limited research I've done on them when looking into new snakes to keep has shown that people are often mislead into thinking or at the very least simply misunderstand the rear fang classification as being harmless across the board.
Old 02-11-15, 03:39 PM   #29
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Mangroves are a slender, semi-arboreal to arboreal large rear-fanged snake. They easily reach sizes of 10 feet. Are notably defensive especially in the evening/night when they are known to be active.

I fully believe people should treat them just like a venomous snake and hook them just the same. Nothing should be taken lightly when it has the potential to injure/harm you.
Old 02-11-15, 05:17 PM   #30
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Mangroves are a slender, semi-arboreal to arboreal large rear-fanged snake. They easily reach sizes of 10 feet. Are notably defensive especially in the evening/night when they are known to be active.

I fully believe people should treat them just like a venomous snake and hook them just the same. Nothing should be taken lightly when it has the potential to injure/harm you.
Aaron again I find myself agreeing with you, some thing must be wrong here. LOL

I do own a mangrove snake and Aaron is right on the money with what he has stated. I also own a mangrove pit viper, which is also a nasty snake. Don't for get the false water cobras, which are rear fang as well. In NY all rear fang snakes except for the hog nose require a venomous license. And years ago my hog noses were listed on my licenses.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
death, feeder, rattle, snake, squirrel