border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-22, 12:47 PM   #1
BuddyTheSnake

Hello there, advice?

Hey there, corn snake owner of 10 years. Really just trying to post a thread asking for advice. Corn snake is bleeding from the sides of the vent and it looks like it may be missing a scale. It shed 2 nights ago (I noticed the blood right beforehand), and has been bleeding slowly ever since.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-11-22, 08:43 PM   #2
chairman

Re: Hello there, advice?

Wish I'd noticed this sooner, a vet visit would have been a good start. Keeping the snake in a sterile setup, with paper towel substrate, is also a good idea until the vet can be seen.

Is the snake still having issues?
Old 04-12-22, 11:20 PM   #3
BuddyTheSnake

I did end up taking the snake to the vet. First vet office I went to deemed it non-emergency and made me wait hours before telling me they were too busy. Second vet couldn’t figure out what was wrong, but said the snake was in no immediate danger and sent it home with me to schedule some diagnostic appointments. Unfortunately Buddy died the next day. Bled out in the enclosure at home. At least he’s not suffering any more. Lesson learned, though; don’t trust the vets when they say a “little” bleeding is no emergency!

Anyway, thanks for your reply. There was just no saving him I guess.
Old 04-13-22, 11:44 AM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyTheSnake View Post
I did end up taking the snake to the vet. First vet office I went to deemed it non-emergency and made me wait hours before telling me they were too busy. Second vet couldn’t figure out what was wrong, but said the snake was in no immediate danger and sent it home with me to schedule some diagnostic appointments. Unfortunately Buddy died the next day. Bled out in the enclosure at home. At least he’s not suffering any more. Lesson learned, though; don’t trust the vets when they say a “little” bleeding is no emergency!

Anyway, thanks for your reply. There was just no saving him I guess.
Sorry to hear and that sucks.

If it helps at all, I don't think there was much you or anyone could have done at that point. Internal bleeding is usually a symptom of something terribly wrong. Could have been cancer or tumours or whatever, so it wasn't or wouldn't have been your fault.
Closed Thread