sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-13, 09:03 PM   #1
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Burmese Pyhton Natural History

Despite their popularity in the trade and prevalence in the news, not much attention is given the natural history of this fascinating giant; Range, prey, breeding etc covered here Burmese Pythons in the Wild - the Natural History of a Giant Snake That Reptile Blog
Login to remove ads
Old 01-16-13, 11:17 PM   #2
limey

Re: Burmese Pyhton Natural History

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxzoofrank View Post
Despite their popularity in the trade and prevalence in the news, not much attention is given the natural history of this fascinating giant; Range, prey, breeding etc covered here Burmese Pythons in the Wild - the Natural History of a Giant Snake That Reptile Blog
Excellent article Frank, and superb advice to the young man in the comments section beneath the article.

I really like Burms, the normal "wild" phase and the albino. But there's not a massive amount of info "out there", especially compared to other species.

What I've always had difficulty finding too is beautiful burm photos with naturalistic backgrounds... I collect snake photographs/images and have yet to find a stunning (professional grade) photo of one in a natural looking setting.
Old 01-17-13, 05:36 AM   #3
Jack C

Good read, eating porcupines must take some care though ha ha.
Old 01-17-13, 11:10 AM   #4
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post
Good read, eating porcupines must take some care though ha ha.
Thanks very much..I've never quite figured out how they eat porcupines..or pass the quills, as they are not digested - yikes! But plenty of documented observations. I've seen caiman injured by catfish spines, anaconda killed from infections after being cut swallowing deer with small antlers, large turtle (Podocnemis) shells, so perhaps there are losses..

Best, Frank
Old 01-17-13, 11:17 AM   #5
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Excellent article Frank, and superb advice to the young man in the comments section beneath the article.

I really like Burms, the normal "wild" phase and the albino. But there's not a massive amount of info "out there", especially compared to other species.

What I've always had difficulty finding too is beautiful burm photos with naturalistic backgrounds... I collect snake photographs/images and have yet to find a stunning (professional grade) photo of one in a natural looking setting.
Now that you mention it, same here - I went through some books last night, good habitat photos scarce as you say; thought perhaps in Pope's Giant snakes, but no. I don't recall if there were any in the more recent Tales of Giant Snakes, do not have it on hand, Best regards, Frank
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
burmese python