border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Rhacodactylus

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-20, 07:43 PM   #1
arnoldosu1

Crestie Shed Issues Normal?

My little buddy Treeco, a 7 year old Crested Gecko has always been a healthy guy. He doesn't eat a whole lot, but he does eat consistently (Pangea Complete w/Insects). Though only hand fed at this point lol--a bad habit we got into after he had a hard time acclimating to a new enclosure. I am fine with it, because this way he can't step in his food and smear it on the glass and he enjoys the attention lol.

He has always had issues with the shed on the bottom of his toes. I will usually give hime a "bath" and then use tweezers to peel it off as best I can. I was wondering if others experience this too? I mean he has had issues with more than just his toe pads a couple times before, but not usually that bad.

He has what should be about ideal an environment, with thriving live plants and regular nightly mistings. Any suggestions? This just normal?
Login to remove ads
Old 12-16-20, 10:27 AM   #2
Herpin' Man

Re: Crestie Shed Issues Normal?

It's common, but not normal. Shed stuck on toes is indicative of too dry an environment. I would suggest increasing the humidity in the enclosure, or providing a hide box with a damp substrate,
Old 12-16-20, 01:50 PM   #3
chairman

I agree with raising humidity, especially substrate humidity. Giving them moist substrate to walk through helps.

You could also look at the toenails and see if they're too long. You can trim them like you would a bird's or dog's nails, just be sure not to cut the quick.
Old 12-16-20, 08:25 PM   #4
arnoldosu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin' Man View Post
It's common, but not normal. Shed stuck on toes is indicative of too dry an environment. I would suggest increasing the humidity in the enclosure, or providing a hide box with a damp substrate,
Ok see I wouldn’t think it would be too dry, because aren’t they supposed to be between 65% and 85% humidity? I mean the room outside the enclosure is typically about 60% and the inside of the enclosure should be at least 5-10% higher after drying out after misting. Is it possible that too high of humidity could produce stuck shed as well?
Old 12-16-20, 08:33 PM   #5
arnoldosu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman View Post
I agree with raising humidity, especially substrate humidity. Giving them moist substrate to walk through helps.

You could also look at the toenails and see if they're too long. You can trim them like you would a bird's or dog's nails, just be sure not to cut the quick.
I currently use New England herps substrate with leaf litter that is pretty well broken down at this point. Maybe I will add fresh leaf litter to help. Though the substrate keeps moisture very well. The sphagnum moss that is reached by indirect sunlight is green. This is a bio active set up with drainage layer. He doesn’t spend much time on the ground so maybe he isn’t taking advantage of the humidity.

Maybe because he chooses to sleep under the grow light in dense umbrella plant foliage, he dries himself out more than he should?
Login to remove ads
Old 12-17-20, 09:32 AM   #6
Herpin' Man

Stuck shed on the toes is a sign of insufficient humidity. Try not to overthink it. The easiest thing to do would be to reduce airflow, dampen part of the substrate, and/or add a humid hide.
Very excessive humidity and wetness can cause shed issues in some cases, but that isn't what's happening here.
Old 12-17-20, 03:43 PM   #7
arnoldosu1

Quote:
Stuck shed on the toes is a sign of insufficient humidity. Try not to overthink it. The easiest thing to do would be to reduce airflow, dampen part of the substrate, and/or add a humid hide.
Very excessive humidity and wetness can cause shed issues in some cases, but that isn't what's happening here.
Thanks. I do tend to overthink things lol. I’ll work towards increasing humidity.
Old 12-18-20, 02:52 PM   #8
arnoldosu1

Quote:
One more thing. The reason I have been hesitant to increase humidity is that he sneezes some when I have the humidity higher. Does that indicate something other than it being too humid?

I'm thinking I'll add a rock (or maybe rock-like) water dish that he could sit in if needed and possibly figure a way to put some plexiglass on the back end of the enclosure's mesh top to decrease air flow. Also I will look for a tall cork hollow to replace a bamboo one.
Old 12-19-20, 09:25 PM   #9
chairman

To my knowledge, field observations of crested geckos shows a preference for areas with 80% humidity or greater. They can tolerate drier air but they don't seem to prefer it.

I keep my crested geckos' substrate moist, use magnolia leaves to help trap the humidity, provide a water dish, and mist daily. My geckos seem to be doing well; my oldest gecko is 15 years old (youngest is 7, it is the grandchild of the oldest).
Old 12-20-20, 03:15 PM   #10
arnoldosu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman View Post
To my knowledge, field observations of crested geckos shows a preference for areas with 80% humidity or greater. They can tolerate drier air but they don't seem to prefer it.

I keep my crested geckos' substrate moist, use magnolia leaves to help trap the humidity, provide a water dish, and mist daily. My geckos seem to be doing well; my oldest gecko is 15 years old (youngest is 7, it is the grandchild of the oldest).
Thanks. I am going to add a small repti rock dish and have started doing a few things to lead to more consistent humidity and slightly warmer temps. I actually use magnolia leaves too, and have some extra left over I will boil and put in as a lot of them have broken down over the past few years.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
crested gecko, help and advice, stuck shed, vivarium