border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Reptile Clubs / Societies > General Information

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-13, 11:28 PM   #1
lash

Question wants to move to states. questions?

just trying to find out about moving from aus to the states. as i would love to live in the united states and i adore boas and corns,pretty much all the exotics and if i can't own 1 legally here in aus then i will have move to the states.
My Question is- what should i be expecting?
etc.is it hard for young people (im 23) to get jobs/accomodation what states would you's recommend or is there states i should avoid?? and is it hard to become an american citizen? sorry for the incredibly noobish questions and sorry if these q's have been asked before... lol i would love to own some leopard geckoes!!!or a ball python
Login to remove ads
Old 09-04-13, 03:54 AM   #2
Zoo Nanny

Re: wants to move to states. questions?

There really aren't any bad states to live in just bad areas in each state to avoid. Unemployment right now is pretty tough but there are jobs out there. It really is going to depend on what you are looking for. Each state has different laws regarding exotics and what can be owned. For an example in Massachusetts you can't own any crocodilians, monitors and a few of the big snakes. Here's a link to Ma Fish & Wildlife with a listing of animals that require a permit. Wildlife as Pets | MassWildlife Unemployment rate in MA is around 7%. Rents will run you any where from $750 to $2000 a month for a one bedroom apartment depending on where in the state you are. In Rhode Island their laws on exotics is much looser, some of their rents lower and unemployment rate is around 8-9%. You're going to want to do some careful research on employment opportunities, crime statistics, cost of living and laws on exotics for each state before making a decision.
Becoming a citizen isn't too difficult. A few of my friends have become citizens in recent years. Be sure you have no criminal record and study some US history.
Old 09-04-13, 04:04 AM   #3
smy_749

its hard for us to get jobs hahahaha dont come here bro, you have it good in aus and we are on the decline. If we can trade spots Im ready to leave now
Old 09-04-13, 05:44 AM   #4
MDT

The coasts (think Calif and New England) cost of living will be higher than most of the interior states. What Zoo Nanny said about rent is true...the same $2000/mo would rent a VERY nice 3 bedroom house in Oklahoma/Arkansas/Missouri/Kansas, etc....
What are your job skills? Depending on your training and skills, finding a job may not be terribly difficult. Crime issues are also very population density dependent. Your chances of being crime victim in Chicago is a lot higher than in Branson, Missouri. Obviously, there is a lot more to do in the larger urban areas, so you gotta weigh costs (living/crime/job avail, etc)....personally, I like to visit the cities, but I like to live in the country. Good luck on coming to the states, we hope it all works out for you!
Old 09-04-13, 06:32 AM   #5
smy_749

I live in CT which is VERY expensive state to live in. My apartment is in a decent sized town, not rich but no distinct 'bad areas'. I pay like 1100 a month for a very small one bedroom apartment in a complex. A 2 bedroom will run you 13-1400 here. Cities are going to be absolutely ridiculous, my sister has a 2 bedroom house outside boston that she pays 2200 a month for. Don't forget the herp community in new england sucks and so does the weather and we have only a handful of species to find while herping.

Definitely consider some place with nicer weather and cheaper living conditions, like the ones that MDT listed.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-04-13, 06:38 AM   #6
franks

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy_749 View Post
its hard for us to get jobs hahahaha dont come here bro, you have it good in aus and we are on the decline. If we can trade spots Im ready to leave now
Me too... I would move to Van Diemen's land.
Old 09-04-13, 06:43 AM   #7
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

I have the answer. Come to Canada!

But seriously....WHY would you NOT want to live in Aus?!?!
Instagram: pareeeee17
Old 09-04-13, 06:47 AM   #8
Stewjoe

+1 for Canada! I would move to Australia before the States, I don't like the heat though (Canadian Blood).

I love Aussie Pythons and would take your selection over ours any day.
Old 09-04-13, 07:13 AM   #9
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewjoe View Post
I don't like the heat though (Canadian Blood).
Just your blood, LOL. I hate the cold and love the heat! I could live in the desert any day.
Instagram: pareeeee17
Old 09-04-13, 07:17 AM   #10
smy_749

I would move to canada if it wasn't crappier weather than New England.....and you might want to leave oz if you are super into herps and limited to about 10% of them, many you can find by taking a hike. You wouldn't be able to keep anything in your signature if you lived there :P Stewjoe would only have to get rid of the cresty though haha

I will be leaving the US soon it seems, just saving up for now.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-04-13, 11:12 AM   #11
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Iowa's a pretty decent place to live. Cost of living is reasonable, unemployment low, prevailing wages higher, crime rate lower and the people friendlier. If you don't mind extreme weathe (hot muggy summers, cold snowy winters), it certainly beats where I'm from (California). That said, state herp laws ban Retics, Anacondas, African Rocks, all venomous snakes and all Crocodilians. Everything else us fine if you end up in the right city. Good luck in your possible move.
Old 09-04-13, 11:17 AM   #12
pdomensis

If you want to work, try North Dakota. Loads of jobs up there at the moment for energy production. The downside is, it's North Dakota. I don't know what their herp laws are or anything about the logistics of getting a work visa. Good luck!
Old 09-05-13, 01:05 AM   #13
lash

thank you everyone for your help wow i have a lot to look into.its a big decision for me as i have to think about my reptiles i love them dearly argh
lol i honestly didnt think people from the states would want to move to aus
i dont have many skills i've worked in a few petstores though and have worked in the hospitality industry(aprrentice,dishy,fastfood etc), i love leopard geckoes,ball pythons ,cornsnakes when i first recieved my license i thought i was gonna be getting a cornsnake,ball python or bci or bcc until i asked about them a big no-no over here due to government rules an whatnot,don't get me wrong i love my aussie reps but you guys have them there too it seems and i would absolutely love to go to a reptile show we have them here but no-where near as big or as many people
Old 09-05-13, 02:28 AM   #14
ErikBush97
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lash View Post
thank you everyone for your help wow i have a lot to look into.its a big decision for me as i have to think about my reptiles i love them dearly argh
lol i honestly didnt think people from the states would want to move to aus
i dont have many skills i've worked in a few petstores though and have worked in the hospitality industry(aprrentice,dishy,fastfood etc), i love leopard geckoes,ball pythons ,cornsnakes when i first recieved my license i thought i was gonna be getting a cornsnake,ball python or bci or bcc until i asked about them a big no-no over here due to government rules an whatnot,don't get me wrong i love my aussie reps but you guys have them there too it seems and i would absolutely love to go to a reptile show we have them here but no-where near as big or as many people
What?! No corn snakes or ball python?! Get your butt to the states! Lol
Old 09-05-13, 04:06 AM   #15
smy_749

Erik wake up and smell the coffee. To lash, try to find a roomate who will split rent with you once you get here and is somewhat down to earth. Will make it much easier to get by. Why not europe? They have pretty huge expos, and just about everything we have here. Dont wanna upset all the patriots here but america is on the decline. Google a few lists of best countries to live in, most are in europe and aus is always on there.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread