sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-14, 11:05 AM   #1
nazanova

Send a message via Skype™ to nazanova
Conflicting advice. HELP!

Hey everybody I'm in a bit of a pickle. So I'm due to get my corn snake by next week or the week after and I have had a lot of conflicting advice that I thought you guys could help me with. From the research I have done Ive been told that your supposed to feed your baby Corn Snake pinkies every 5 days, should keep them in a smallish vivarium until they are about 6-12 months old and that they should have a hide in both heated and cool sides of the tank & a hide in the middle of the vivarium that covers both heated side and cool side. But today I went into the pet store and the worker there told me that she feeds her Corn Snakes every 3 days and sometimes she feeds them more then one mouse, that one of her Corn Snakes is 6 ft but lives in a 4ft long vivarium and that they don't need a lot of hides just one in the cool area and abit of artificial plants so I really don't know what to think now? Especially when it comes to the feeding because I read that Corn Snakes are prone to obesity. Help?
Login to remove ads
Old 06-21-14, 11:11 AM   #2
Kera

Send a message via Skype™ to Kera
Re: Conflicting advice. HELP!

What you said first is preferred, every 3 days seems a bit much to me. You should have at least 2 hides and some corns like to burrow. Tank size isn't too big of an issue as long as the snake has plenty of cover and hides to feel secure
Old 06-21-14, 11:40 AM   #3
virtuousvixen

Definitely don't listen to what the pet shop suggested. Every 3 days is too often. you'll end up over feeding. Plus you would never get to handle your snake. i would go with your first thought of every 5 days to start. Tank size isn't too much of an issue so long as you have a hide at both hot and cool ends. if you do go for a bigger tank i would definitely fill it out with more hides and cover as this will be a lot less stressful for your snake.

Good luck. Look forward to pics.
Old 06-21-14, 11:44 AM   #4
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Welcome to the forum nova. I feed my colubrid hatchlings 1-2 pinks every 5 days. The Munson feeding plan for corns is a pretty good reference point for hatchlings and juveniles. I also agree that at least 2 hides should be provided and to make sure your heat source is controlled by a thermostat. I think it's perfectly fine to start a hatchling in an adult sized enclosure as long as you provide plenty of hides and lots of cover. Best wishes with your corn.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 06-21-14, 03:42 PM   #5
nazanova

Thanks a bunch everyone for the help! I feel much more secure about what needs to be done to look after him/her now.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-21-14, 03:58 PM   #6
CosmicOwl

An enclosure cannot be too be unless it isn't properly filled with hides and cover. You can use pretty much anything for cover, too. I like cardboard tubes for low humidity enclosures. For cover, I'll lay out paper towels or strips of newspaper over things, to simulate something like leaf litter.

All that being said, you don't have to go out and buy a huge enclosure. A baby corn snake will be very happy in a 20 gallon tank or similarly sized plastic tub.
Old 06-21-14, 06:12 PM   #7
nazanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOwl View Post
An enclosure cannot be too be unless it isn't properly filled with hides and cover. You can use pretty much anything for cover, too. I like cardboard tubes for low humidity enclosures. For cover, I'll lay out paper towels or strips of newspaper over things, to simulate something like leaf litter.

All that being said, you don't have to go out and buy a huge enclosure. A baby corn snake will be very happy in a 20 gallon tank or similarly sized plastic tub.
Yeah the enclosure I'm getting for my baby corn is 39x26x16.5cm and I already have 3 hides so I'm sure he/she will feel pretty secure (hopefully) but thanks a lot for the advice I'll bear all that in mind
Old 06-21-14, 07:02 PM   #8
CornSnakes

3 hides should be great!
Old 06-21-14, 07:12 PM   #9
Mikoh4792

In an enclosure that size i would also use some sort of bedding in which they can burrow into(pretty much anything besides paper substrate). The bedding will also act as a hide.
Old 06-21-14, 07:58 PM   #10
IW17

I use newspaper as bedding for most of my snakes, with my Juvenile corn being one of the exceptions. I use Aspen and find that 99% of the time he is burrowed under the Aspen rather than in a hide. I would still include them as you were, but you might try Aspen at first as well and see how it goes. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-21-14, 09:07 PM   #11
CosmicOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
In an enclosure that size i would also use some sort of bedding in which they can burrow into(pretty much anything besides paper substrate). The bedding will also act as a hide.
My snakes will burrow under paper towels. I don't know if there is a psychological difference, though
Old 06-21-14, 09:29 PM   #12
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOwl View Post
My snakes will burrow under paper towels. I don't know if there is a psychological difference, though
Bedding is probably more secure. They get more coverage.
Old 06-22-14, 05:49 AM   #13
nazanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
Yeah I've got aspen as the substrate as I know they like to bury in it and it's pretty easy to spot clean/clean out
Old 06-22-14, 10:35 AM   #14
sharthun

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
Welcome to the forum nova. I feed my colubrid hatchlings 1-2 pinks every 5 days. The Munson feeding plan for corns is a pretty good reference point for hatchlings and juveniles. I also agree that at least 2 hides should be provided and to make sure your heat source is controlled by a thermostat. I think it's perfectly fine to start a hatchling in an adult sized enclosure as long as you provide plenty of hides and lots of cover. Best wishes with your corn.
I agree with EZ's comments. I will be housing a hatchling eastern king snake in a 48 in wide, 24 inch deep, 15 inch tall enclosure. Plenty of cover is the key. And a thermostat controlled heat source is a must. Welcome btw! Keep us posted.

Steve
Old 06-22-14, 01:19 PM   #15
nazanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharthun View Post
I agree with EZ's comments. I will be housing a hatchling eastern king snake in a 48 in wide, 24 inch deep, 15 inch tall enclosure. Plenty of cover is the key. And a thermostat controlled heat source is a must. Welcome btw! Keep us posted.
I've ordered a Habistat thermostat to keep my heat mat in check and I've been told they're the best brand. Thank you will do!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, corn snakes, newbie