border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-14, 01:22 PM   #1
cornsnake1109

Exclamation New England winter

Hello everyone,

I recently got an albino corn snake. I am 14 so i recently got my own room but its in our attic and its really cold. currently i have a black light on one side and a red one on the other, and a heat mat on the bottom (its a 20 long). Right now its like 70 degrees in his tank. I've considered moving him to a rubbermaid tub but i don't think i can move the heat pad because its stuck to the bottom of his glass tank. So does any one have any ideas on any products or things i could do to keep him warm. (ive tried a space heater but its expensive and makes my room really hot to keep him warm)
Login to remove ads
Old 11-24-14, 01:53 PM   #2
sharthun

Re: New England winter

Hey and welcome! How are you measuring temps in the cage? You can can put some kind of insulation on three sides of the tank. I use 1/8" cork tiles and works great on my 2 glass vivs. The warm side of the tank needs to be around 85 degrees measured on top of whatever substrate you are using. Also do you have a thermostat to control your heat pad? Necessary equipment for regulating heat and safety for you and your reptile. You can also tape thin foam board insulation to three sides of your tank and cover most of the top as well. Pics and more details of your setup would help.

Steve
Old 11-24-14, 01:59 PM   #3
pdomensis

I'm going to guess you have a screen lid. This is your biggest problem. A tote with the heat pad will be better.

Other option is to build a more insulated tank with front opening glass with wood sides and top.
Old 11-26-14, 08:47 PM   #4
cornsnake1109

thanks for the suggestion
Old 11-27-14, 10:35 AM   #5
pet_snake_78

What temperature is the room itself? Glass doesn't really hold heat. Could you get some bubble wrap and tape it around the back and sides of the cage? Maybe if you combine that with covering part of the screen top with something like a piece of glass, it would hold heat a little better.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
corn snake, heating, help please, newbie