border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-12, 09:24 AM   #61
mo9e64

Re: Monitor enclosure discussion thread

Raising baby monitors in an adult enclosure as a beginner is that really a responsible thing to be encouraging.The reason i heard to use smaller enclosure is it's easier to control conditions and feeding.Not that the monitors can't find the food but that it is more accessible.A small cage isn't too small for a small monitor-who has heard of there being a problem using smaller enclosures for baby monitors.They can get plenty of exercise and stimulation in a smaller cage-if you want to do it, fine-but is it better?
Old 05-07-12, 10:07 AM   #62
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo9e64 View Post
Raising baby monitors in an adult enclosure as a beginner is that really a responsible thing to be encouraging.The reason i heard to use smaller enclosure is it's easier to control conditions and feeding.Not that the monitors can't find the food but that it is more accessible.A small cage isn't too small for a small monitor-who has heard of there being a problem using smaller enclosures for baby monitors.They can get plenty of exercise and stimulation in a smaller cage-if you want to do it, fine-but is it better?
One of the worst "human" traits we posses is procrastination, everyone does it sooner or later.

So why tempt a beginner with a small cage they are going to have to rebuild, improve on or upgrade every few months?

Why not start right out from day one with the proper box??

then that "I'll get around to it sooner or later" bug can't bite.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 05-07-12, 05:04 PM   #63
red ink
Wandering Cricket

Any Odatria keepers out there? It has nearly been a decade since I have kept them and I'm looking to getting back into it...

I just offered my V. gillenis a standard 4x2x2 and I would like to know if any thing has been improved on or if there's new husbandry techniques out there these days.
Old 05-07-12, 05:27 PM   #64
Bradyloach
Uncle Brady

I have a question and dont feel like making another thread. Umm I got these 2 big logs for cassies new cage whenever it gets here. hopefully sooner than later. But ive seen a couple ants in these logs, should i do anything to these logs before i put them in? or are they good? i have a feeling cassie will eat all of the ants anyways. no pesticides were used in the area
Old 05-07-12, 05:28 PM   #65
varanus_mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradyloach View Post
I have a question and dont feel like making another thread. Umm I got these 2 big logs for cassies new cage whenever it gets here. hopefully sooner than later. But ive seen a couple ants in these logs, should i do anything to these logs before i put them in? or are they good? i have a feeling cassie will eat all of the ants anyways. no pesticides were used in the area

personalyl brady id just chuck a load of boiling water over em.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-07-12, 05:36 PM   #66
Bradyloach
Uncle Brady

Alrighty i will deff do that! thank you any tips for my new enclosure? it will be 8x4. what should i use for the water bowl? and whats an easy method for changing it?
Old 05-08-12, 06:30 AM   #67
mo9e64

Wayne I know where you coming from.But starting with the smaller cages is easier,in the planning stages the adult cage should be in the works.The reality is most beginners will tire quickly and get out of monitors,those that will stay will do the right things.The philosophy that i was taught is to make things less complicated so you enjoy your monitor more,I know that having your Sav's in the large cage for you is enyoyable,and working for you so far-but thats from a bit more understanding how elements work together.If you take some of the shy species like mine,they'll just hide and not be such a positive experience.
Old 05-08-12, 07:35 AM   #68
infernalis

These little ones do their share of hiding..

Just like any coin, there is always two sides.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 05-11-12, 06:33 AM   #69
Little Wise Owl

Quote:
.The reality is most beginners will tire quickly and get out of monitors,those that will stay will do the right things..
In the slight chance that a beginner may actually read caresheet like Wayne's and see a young monitors' requirement for such a large enclosure may discourage their will to buy a monitor in the first place... Or maybe that's just wishful thinking

Most would not want to buy a monitor if the recommendation for a starting enclosure be the adult product.

I personally don't see an issue with such a large enclosure in the first place. I think the animal would be more comfortable with the large space offering plenty of hiding spots rather than a smaller one offering 1-3 hiding spots.

Quote:
If you take some of the shy species like mine,they'll just hide and not be such a positive experience.
If the animal wants to hide, then why take that away from them?

Just my two cents, I guess.
Old 05-11-12, 06:38 AM   #70
mo9e64

Brady, options for a water bowl are endless,you can use a small one that is easier to clean and change or a larger one that a monitor can get into.My opinion is Sav's don't sit in their cage and think they need a large water container,they will just use it if it's there.I use a smaller container that i can clean quickly and easily ,the size of a medium dog dish.There is no right or wrong size as long as they have access to clean fresh water.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-11-12, 07:21 AM   #71
mo9e64

Little Wise Owl,irresponsible people are going to buy monitors.Those that are serious need good advice to get them started with their baby monitors-Wayne is giving bad advice to beginners-you get practice on the smaller cage to see how things work.Unlike what Wayne will imply you can't just build an adult cage without first hand experience and expect it to be adequate.What proof is there that beginners should start with an adult cage,let's start there.
Old 05-11-12, 07:55 AM   #72
infernalis

Quote:
What proof is there that beginners should start with an adult cage,let's start there.
Proof is named "Littlefoot" and "Cera" who's lives are chronicled daily via photography.

Now to prove otherwise rests with you.. submit YOUR proof.

Where is your daily chronicle proving that a large cage is detrimental to raising babies??

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/varan...-pictures.html

320 posts, 4,951 views..... Front page of the Reptile Report TWICE

So please submit yours. What you don't have one??

Your theory is nothing more than conjecture otherwise.

Savannahmonitor.net

Last edited by infernalis; 05-11-12 at 08:03 AM..
Old 05-11-12, 01:04 PM   #73
BarelyBreathing
Varanus Queen

I have to agree here. There is no proof saying that monitors shouldn't be in larger enclosures, even as babies. As long as the enclosure is well set up
Old 05-11-12, 07:51 PM   #74
Gregg M
Squamata Concepts

Send a message via Yahoo to Gregg M

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
Where is your daily chronicle proving that a large cage is detrimental to raising babies??
Wayne, I love what you have provided for your little savs. You have gone way beyond what even some seasoned varanid keepers provide for juviniles.

I do not think anyone is say it is detrimental to provide large cages like that for young animals. In my opinion it is not a must.
Old 05-12-12, 08:29 AM   #75
varanus_mad

Moe

wayne.

This is one of those things... thats fully debatable and while there are some good points its kind of irrelevant so long as... the enclosure fully supports the monitors needs be it baby or adult.

Which quite frankly... we can all agree most fail miserably.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread