border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-22, 07:02 PM   #1
Lips McGee

Question Baby snake stressing out new owner

Forgive me if this is a bit long but as I mentioned in the title I am a new snake owner and want to make sure I get all the information and I am doing my best with my corn snake. He is still a baby but already has so much personality.

I got my new snake around February 20th and his first feeding with me was around the 25th. That went smoothly and so did his second feeding on March 3rd. However, during his first feeding I noticed a little black bug crawling around on his head. I had to wait until the 7th so I could take him back to the reptile store to confirm my suspicions. Turns out he has mites so they treated him that day and I took him home to treat his enclosure, his hides are in the freezer and have been since I confirmed mites. He's now on paper towel substrate with no hides. His next feeding day was supposed to be the 9th however he didn't eat and I took it as stress from the treatment and new enclosure environment. So I tried to feed the day after and was told that was a no-no and to try during the weekend. Well during the weekend he shed and that basically gave me my answer as to why he didn't feed. I gave him a couple of days and waited until today(3/15) to try and feed him yet he would not take. I also found him outside of enclosure hiding in my backpack inside my closet. Little man is stressing me out because I feel like he just wants a decent hide to get comfortable in and he hasn't eaten in a couple of weeks.

I have read a lot about brumation but I am not sure if this applies to him or it is the stress from the treatments and not having his normal hides to hide in.

Do clear Tupperware containers make good hides even though they're clear? The main thing I want to know is what I am doing good and/or can I do better?
Login to remove ads