border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-16, 08:09 PM   #1
Adem2660

Boa

I have a 40 cm (16 inch) BCI which has respiratory infection.

I took her to the vet and the vet said I came early 'cause people usually go to the vet when the snake is severely affected by the infection. Apparently she has mucus in her upper lung which causes her to open her mouth to breath a couple of times per minute (when she's out of her enclosure - I rarely see her open her mouth to breath when she's inside the enclosure ).

Her mouth is pink and bubble-free and she does not show any other symptoms of RI infection (not even mucus at the nostrils).

She's been on antibiotics for 5-6 days now. My vet told me to call her if my little boa does not get any better after a week. So I'll do that in a day or two.

Should I be worried? She's only gotten a tiny bit better :/
Login to remove ads
Old 12-17-16, 09:57 AM   #2
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Re: Boa

I'd call the vet if she doesn't better, did you do anyting besides giving her antibiotics? Like raise her temperatures or anything? P.s your topic title is not very descriptive, a good title allows the right people to find your topic more easily.
Old 12-17-16, 06:05 PM   #3
Adem2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
I'd call the vet if she doesn't better, did you do anyting besides giving her antibiotics? Like raise her temperatures or anything? P.s your topic title is not very descriptive, a good title allows the right people to find your topic more easily.
Raised the temp, yes. My vet told me to bump it up a few degrees (37 degree Celsius in the warm side). Also tried giving it a few baths.

Yea, sorry about the title. I was too quick and now I don't know how to edit the title haha
Old 12-17-16, 06:48 PM   #4
toddnbecka

I've never tried this myself, but ran across it and bookmarked thinking it may be useful sometime:
Guide to Home Treatment of Snake Respiratory Infection - Â*BambooZoo
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 12-21-16, 05:36 PM   #5
Adem2660

I'll get my zoo med fogger in two days so I'll do the F10 nebulization for a few days just to be sure she's completely cured. I'll continue with antibiotics of course.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-21-16, 06:33 PM   #6
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

F10 is a surface disinfectant. Right on the bottle it states not to come into contact with mucous membranes, and some snakes have actually suffered from burns within their respiratory tract using this method of "treatment"...so please use extreme caution when using it outside of it's intended and approved for use like what's being advised in the above link. Although it's becoming a common treatment method in our hobby...I know of zero vets who would advise to do this.

Last edited by Andy_G; 12-21-16 at 06:40 PM..
Old 12-22-16, 06:17 PM   #7
Adem2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
F10 is a surface disinfectant. Right on the bottle it states not to come into contact with mucous membranes, and some snakes have actually suffered from burns within their respiratory tract using this method of "treatment"...so please use extreme caution when using it outside of it's intended and approved for use like what's being advised in the above link. Although it's becoming a common treatment method in our hobby...I know of zero vets who would advise to do this.

Many breeders (even high-end) uses this. I know it's a disinfectant but apparently it works wonders (along with antibiotics).

I actually received my fogger today but it isn't working, lol. Apparently it's a common issue with the zoo med Repti fogger.

And yes, I will be very careful. Wouldn't want to hurt my lille baby
Old 12-22-16, 10:57 PM   #8
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem2660 View Post
Many breeders (even high-end) uses this. I know it's a disinfectant but apparently it works wonders (along with antibiotics).

I actually received my fogger today but it isn't working, lol. Apparently it's a common issue with the zoo med Repti fogger.

And yes, I will be very careful. Wouldn't want to hurt my lille baby

Yeah...that's what scares me. I am in the health care field and I have seen what misuse of different solutions and medical devices can cause when used outside of what they are approved for and a LOT of people do...the majority just luck out. Just be careful, that's all.

I've heard of that fogger having issues for years and i''m surprised they haven't fixed it yet, wow.
Old 12-23-16, 06:12 PM   #9
Adem2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
Yeah...that's what scares me. I am in the health care field and I have seen what misuse of different solutions and medical devices can cause when used outside of what they are approved for and a LOT of people do...the majority just luck out. Just be careful, that's all.

I've heard of that fogger having issues for years and i''m surprised they haven't fixed it yet, wow.
I sincerely thank you for your concerns It's always nice to get free advice

Woah, they've had this issue for years? Haha! That's so tragic
Closed Thread

Tags
bci, boa, infection, respiratory, respiratory infection