border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-15, 06:59 PM   #1
Sasha2

Extra large reptibreeze, what are they for?

I was given this extra large reptibreeze and am thinking of putting it up on craigslist. But Besides chameleons what else could even live in a big screen cage like this? Its the 24x24x48 tall.
Im not much into lizards but have considered a trio of crested geckos, thats about the only thing I can think of to use it for. .Its kind of a monstrosity and not sure what its worth on cr..Maybe 50 bucks?
Its in good shape after I replaced the one screen panel that was ripped.Maybe put a canary in it
Login to remove ads
Old 08-09-15, 07:44 PM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Extra large reptibreeze, what are they for?

Wouldn't suggest birds. They can rip it, and if they poop on it you'll never get it clean. Cresties are a high humidity critter, so not good in such an airy thing. You could turn it into a small butterfly enclosure. Not really sure what other critters you could keep in it honestly.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 08-10-15, 03:25 PM   #3
Sasha2

They seem kind of worthless except for chams and even those are high humidity. Not sure how that works even with a mister.The mist would just go everywhere. If humidity can be kept up for chameleons in these why not cresties?

BTW I was joking about the canary..
Old 08-10-15, 04:12 PM   #4
Tiny Boidae

Sasha2-

Even with chameleons, it's generally pretty difficult to keep humidity up unless your willing to raise the humidity of the entire room (which risks their health and yours as you run the risk of growing mold in the walls).

If anything, the only species I would really keep it for are those that like it cool and don't need a huge amount of humidity. (Maybe a rat snake of some sort?)

I actually have one of these in my living room that I got for Christmas one year. I have some plants growing in it- but no animals. They're not durable nor suitable for use in most cases.

Edit:

Actually, a five lined skink or two might work in this sort of enclosure if you tipped it on its side. They lay their eggs in my garden all the time, and you see them everywhere during the spring and summer.

Last edited by Tiny Boidae; 08-10-15 at 04:22 PM..
Old 08-10-15, 04:29 PM   #5
reptiledude987

Ive never seen them used for anything aside from Chams.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Login to remove ads
Old 08-10-15, 04:34 PM   #6
trailblazer295

How do you guys keep humidity up in a mesh cage like that? I'm having a hell of a time with a mister in a glass cage with a screen top.
Old 08-10-15, 05:04 PM   #7
reptiledude987

A humidifier for the room is pretty much all you can do. For your vines you can do the same to help bump your ambient room humidity.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 08-10-15, 05:08 PM   #8
trailblazer295

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptiledude987 View Post
A humidifier for the room is pretty much all you can do. For your vines you can do the same to help bump your ambient room humidity.
I might have to in the winter time. Mistking told me they are working an humidity prob timer for their systems that should be done in 2 months. So I'm waiting to see how that turns out.
Old 08-11-15, 02:46 PM   #9
Sasha2

I was thinking maybe a ratsnake like kunashir rats that are mostly arboreal but would worry about nose rub. I dont know that any snake could be kept in a screen cage without getting nose rub.
I also thought about tipping it on its side but then I would have rig up a base for the substrate and dont feel like doing that either.
I think I may just sell it.Im pretty sure I can use the money to buy another cornsnake
Old 08-11-15, 03:02 PM   #10
reptiledude987

As far as the nose rub goes i wouldnt worry about it wth the nylon screens but may be an issue. With the metal screens it could be an issue.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-11-15, 11:26 PM   #11
daisymaisy

sell it and buy another snake! I don't know how tough those cages are....are there weak spots that a snake could nose into and slowly push apart? That would be my worry...anyway good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 08-12-15, 01:01 PM   #12
reptiledude987

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymaisy View Post
sell it and buy another snake! I don't know how tough those cages are....are there weak spots that a snake could nose into and slowly push apart? That would be my worry...anyway good luck with whatever you choose!
Again it depends on the type. some have hinged latching doors. They would be fine. The ones with the zippers I wouldnt trust. The type of snake is also a big factor as well. Something like my vines with minimal strength i wouldnt worry. However I wouldnt trust any of them with anything strong like a RTB or even a King as theyre known escape artists.
Old 08-13-15, 06:31 AM   #13
Sasha2

This is the nice metal screen with hinges but I am going to put it up on cr. My dh had a colonoscopy and they nicked his colon so he has been in the hospital this week, in massive amounts of pain. Stupid usless doctors.
Closed Thread