sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-12, 05:23 PM   #181
BarelyBreathing
Varanus Queen

Re: Ban threads combined

By that logic, so are cats and dogs. Should there be a cat and dog ban, too?
Old 01-19-12, 05:23 PM   #182
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Point of logic? They are dangerous animals. Case closed. I would be for this ban even in Canada so that isn't an excuse.

I don't believe the border restrictions should be included but as I said before I'm ok with amendments. I wish for the animals to be banned. Large snakes are not easy to care for or handle solo, no matter who you are or what you think. I know this first hand.
I understand your opinion even though I dont agree with it. Btw, this ban only restricts interstate transportation of these animals so that doesnt solve the problem at all.

I had to take a class to get a permit to be able to have Black Betty. She is NOT dangerous to me or anyone else. She is tame as can be or I wouldnt have her. Im not going to repeat how I feel about snakes I cant handle since I have said this in numerous other posts.

The problem lies if we needed to relocate to another state. Then the choice is to go underground and be a felon or give up my entire collection. Thats a tough choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-10-11951933.jpg (22.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 12-10-11951931.jpg (21.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-19-12, 05:37 PM   #183
Norm66
Cold Blooded Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarelyBreathing View Post
By that logic, so are cats and dogs. Should there be a cat and dog ban, too?
- Call for U.S. to Ban a major wildlife threat!

Posted without comment.
Old 01-19-12, 05:39 PM   #184
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

They already do have cat and dog bans. Pitbulls as well as tigers,lions,jaguars etc. Those are all cats too. GIANT cats actually. Just like GIANT snakes are up in the air to be banned.

That is a dumeril's boa. To my knowledge they aren't in the paperwork to be banned. As I have stated, I would like a size amendment where those snakes AREN'T included. If you have to move states then move a state that keeps boids or don't move at all? All I can say.

I won't touch on the fact I wouldn't trust any snake to be "tame".
Old 01-19-12, 05:43 PM   #185
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
They already do have cat and dog bans. Pitbulls as well as tigers,lions,jaguars etc. Those are all cats too. GIANT cats actually. Just like GIANT snakes are up in the air to be banned.

That is a dumeril's boa. To my knowledge they aren't in the paperwork to be banned. As I have stated, I would like a size amendment where those snakes AREN'T included. If you have to move states then move a state that keeps boids or don't move at all? All I can say.

I won't touch on the fact I wouldn't trust any snake to be "tame".
He was getting at the fact that domestic cats are a huge nuisance and domestic dogs, regardless of breed, can be just as tempermental and dangerous as a large boid.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-19-12, 05:45 PM   #186
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

She is 9 1/2' long and Idc if you dont touch on the fact that any snake can be tame. Yes shes a Dum but an exceptionally large one.

Why is it that Iowa has banned even the SD retics in their ever inclusive "Anaconda, Reticulated Python and Rock Python" ban and yet the Burms and Amethistines are totally legal? Its because these laws were written by emotional politicians who dont know what theyre doing. Again this is my opinion
Old 01-19-12, 05:47 PM   #187
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Domestic dogs are banned. Pitbulls.

Are domestic cats 120 pounds and 16 feet of pure muscle? No. Bring some logic closer to the target. A 3 pound cat would have a ridiculously hard time killing me. A 120 pound snake? Quite a bit easier if it wants to.
Old 01-19-12, 05:47 PM   #188
BarelyBreathing
Varanus Queen

Domestic, household cats are invasive species that are devistating to our natural wildlife in EVERY state of the US. Also, there is no statewide pit bull ban, only city ordinances. There's a pit bull ban in Denver, but I live just outside of it with my pit bull. If I move across state lines, I can bring her with me and not be a felon. Still, I am against this ban. It isn't the dog's fault, nor is it the snake's fault. I wouldn't entirely disagree with a permit system on large pythons or boas. I already hold several permits. I just don't agree with the logic and reasoning behind this current ban. I don't think that responsible keepers should be considered outlaws if they move across state lines and want to keep their beloved pet with them.
Old 01-19-12, 05:48 PM   #189
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Exwizard, I have said again and again a size amendment would be most ideal. I am for that which would change Iowa's laws as well as keep your snakes safe.
Old 01-19-12, 05:51 PM   #190
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

I know what pitbull bans are. Again you said they should be banned by my logic. They are, even in one place, banned up here too. Proves my point that there are bans on dogs.

Also, responsible keepers of pitbulls are outlaws in these areas of the bans. The same will be for the snakes. Just sucks to be them.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-19-12, 05:56 PM   #191
red ink
Wandering Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
I'm ok with that.

Yeah.. me too, in fact I prefer it to open slather .
Old 01-19-12, 05:58 PM   #192
BarelyBreathing
Varanus Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm66 View Post

This is great. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-19-12, 06:44 PM   #193
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

Ah... I try to avoid this topic but the pitbull ban is ridiculous. It's "the deed, not the breed." Banning pitbulls does not solve the problem of pitbull fighting dogs. I work in a shelter rehabilitating pitbulls that were previously fighting dogs. Targeting animals in these situations does NOT solve the problem. Same logic applies to giant snakes. Most (if not all) of the burmese pythons in the Everglades (40mins from my house, btw, and I've been to quite a few of the city meetings about this) are not released pets by irresponsible owners (as the press sometimes likes to have people believe), but rather most of them can be linked as breeding lines that are from two facilities that used to have burmese pythons in south florida that were wiped out during Hurricane Andrew. They should be removing the wild burmese pythons that they find in the Everglades (which they're doing a poor job at), and they should make stricter regulations about keeping big snakes, and fine/punish the people who do not abide by them. But banning the burmese python, rock python, and yellow anaconda will only create a black market and worsen the problem. Sigh
Old 01-19-12, 06:48 PM   #194
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

I wish I could like your post Alessia... I would love it if we had a button for that also!
Old 01-19-12, 06:56 PM   #195
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Alessia, I understand pitbull bans but they aren't the topic of discussion here. I use it as proof that a domestic dog has been banned.

Secondly, I don't get where people say it'll just worsen the problems we're having. If you can't just walk into a pet store and buy any of these animals how does this worsen the problem?

Someone pointed out on another forum I belong to that we had our chance to police ourselves. We failed. The bad apples ruined it for all of you good, responsible keepers. Blame them.

I will say that I have yet to hear someone debate my safety argument if one of these got out on their own and someone ended up in my dwelling and injured myself or a loved one. I will put it out there, if any child died due to someone wanting to keep their pet do you think it's fair to the parents who had to bury that child? No. Put yourselves in those people's shoes before you ONLY think of yourself and YOUR wants when fighting this ban.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread