border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-21, 09:44 PM   #1
Jimmy whispers

Retic breeding

So, I've been thinking about breeding my retics. Not cause i wanna try n turn a profit, but im curious to see what I can create. But I cant help feeling its just irresponsible as I'd want to sell some of the clutch, but I just dont think there's nearly enough environment for them in captivity.
I do have a couple reptile store owners interested in buying babies wholesale, but I wouldn't be happy not knowing their fate.
Seems like I shouldn't do it. But if I could sustain income to just pay for more cages and feeders, that would be great.
Any thoughts on this? Is it worth it? Friend of mine says I could net 25 grand with a pair I had in mind, but i doubt that
Login to remove ads
Old 01-04-22, 01:58 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Retic breeding

I mean yes retics can be profitable. You have to sell them though. Find buyers, deal with shipping and such. What happens if a new law is passed? Sucks.

NERD has come out and said they are trimming their retic breeding programs and want to produce less. Take it however you want to take it.

I PERSONALLY think the writing is on the wall. This isn't the best idea anymore.
Old 01-06-22, 08:47 AM   #3
Jimmy whispers

I actually have private buyers and shop owners that would buy if I produced. Some are actually pushing for it. But they dont want anything real high end in their shop obviously.
I wanted to do some cow/ogs stuff
Old 01-11-22, 12:06 AM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy whispers View Post
I actually have private buyers and shop owners that would buy if I produced. Some are actually pushing for it. But they dont want anything real high end in their shop obviously.
I wanted to do some cow/ogs stuff
What happens when they buy your first round of retics? How many are the private buyers going to buy? Are they suitable keepers who can keep a 20 foot snake for 20 years properly? Have they given you money up front? A lot of people say things until it's time to pony up and then you're stuck with a bunch of retics.

Shop owners want wholesale prices or trades. You want to sell your snakes for 50 cents on the dollar? What happens when they sit on their retics for 3 months? 6 months? How are they going to want more? Are they prepared to buy 60 babies from you?

Do you really want shop owners selling retics to 18 year olds who can't keep them for 20 years or properly?

Why do you want to do low end stuff? Why not high end stuff?

Also, you asked for opinions and then defended your ideas. Sounds like you want opinions that only agree with you.
Old 01-11-22, 07:34 PM   #5
Jimmy whispers

These are all things that I needed to hear. Sucks cuz i think breeding would be exciting. But if I cant be sure everything i produce ends up in a good home, that's enough for me to just not do it
Login to remove ads
Old 01-12-22, 09:19 AM   #6
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy whispers View Post
These are all things that I needed to hear. Sucks cuz i think breeding would be exciting. But if I cant be sure everything i produce ends up in a good home, that's enough for me to just not do it
If you want to go with retics go with super dwarfs. Reach Out Reptiles specializes in them. I would go check them out and see what they are doing.
Old 01-12-22, 06:11 PM   #7
Jimmy whispers

Funny you say that, I was actually watching some of their videos earlier. Thanks!
Closed Thread