sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-21, 09:58 AM   #1
Jjamiew

Exclamation Woma Pythons

Hey!
I’m having a problem with my male woma, hopefully some of you might be able to help.
I’ve had my adult male woma for around 2 yrs now, he’s in a 4x2x2 tank with plenty of decorations and things for him to do.
Last winter I got a baby female woma, she’s obviously been growing quite a bit, and in the last couple of months I guess she’s gotten big enough that he can smell her.
He began getting more aggressive towards the beginning of the breeding season (which I don’t mind), but more recently he’s been trying to get out of his tank to get at her and he’s completely scraped the scales off the top of his head and neck by rubbing on the metal lid (it’s like a large metal screen)
There’s no open wounds or anything it’s just the top layer of the scale that’s being scraped off so they’re not shiny anymore.

At this point it’s obviously not causing any real, permanent damage, but I still would prefer if he wasn’t doing it..

If anyone has any ideas on what I could do to prevent this.. or if anyone knows how far away the female would have to be so that he couldn’t smell her, please let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Also, if anyone (preferably in Canada) knows where I can get large (~6ft long) tanks or pvcs please let me know

Thank you !!
Login to remove ads
Old 12-09-21, 10:31 AM   #2
chairman

Re: Woma Pythons

I ran into a similar situation with a male ball python. My solution was to place the male's enclosure higher than the females' so he attempted to search downward for them.

I suppose that another option could be to place one of the female's shed skins in the tank with the male. He might focus his attention on that rather than escape.
Closed Thread

Tags
breeding, help and advice, nose rub, woma python