border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-19, 10:11 AM   #1
Tina the Fishy

Corn snake questions

Hello everyone! I am looking into getting a corn snake. This will be my first snake. I do a lot of research before I get new animals, but I still have some questions that hopefully you all can answer.

1.) I am looking into getting an albino. I really love the color of babies that have a white body with red markings, but all of the adult pictures of albinos that I have seen, the part that is white is usually yellow. Do baby snakes keep the same colors and patterns when they grow up, or does it change? I would really like a white and red corn snake. POST PICTURES OF YOUR ALBINOS AS BABIES AND WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE AS ADULTS PLEASE!

2.) Have you ever been musked on by a corn, and how often? This is a big thing because the people in my house are very opposed to an animal smelling bad even a little.

3.)What is your PERSONAL opinion on getting a snake from a local pet store vs online vs from a hobby breeder? No arguments please. Just kindly state your opinion.

4.) Have you ever been bitten by a corn?

5.) Is your corn active during the day?

6.) For those of you who also have bearded dragons, which would you choose to have if you could only have one reptile; a bearded dragon, or a corn snake? I am also looking into getting a dragon.

Thanks everyone!
Login to remove ads
Old 10-16-19, 10:30 AM   #2
Veronica

Re: Corn snake questions

1) don't know the answer to this one unfortunately

2) Never been musked. I don't think they usually musk. Their poop does smell though, but as long as you clean up immediately it's fine.

3) If it is one of the large chain pet stores, I think that you should bug from a reputable online breeder or hobby breeder.

4) Never been bitten by a corn snake, but have been bitten by similarly toothed snakes. Hardly felt it and it only barely broke the skin. It's pretty uncommon to be bitten as they are very even-tempered.

5) It depends on the time of year and temperature, at least for my snake. During the summer when it's hotter, she is more active at night and hides in her coolest spot during the day. During the cooler months, she is more active during the day.

6) not qualified to answer this one haha
Old 10-16-19, 01:35 PM   #3
ClockwerkBonnet

I personally have never owned a corn snake. However, I did own a gray-banded kingsnake for a few years, and it definitely peed on me a few times and bit me once.

Like Veronica said, corns are relatively even-tempered as opposed to kings like the one I had. However, any snake, regardless of species, may bite or musk on occasion.

I have read that corns tend to be nocturnal, but that's just general information.

I don't really have any experience buying animals (other than mealworms for my gecko) online. If you decide to buy an animal from a pet store or an expo, you can actually check for abnormal areas on the snake using your own eyes and hands. This isn't necessarily the case for online shopping as you don't know what affects the trip to your door will have on the snake. If you do decide to buy online, read each description carefully to see how the animal is currently doing.
Old 10-16-19, 02:20 PM   #4
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwerkBonnet View Post
I don't really have any experience buying animals (other than mealworms for my gecko) online. If you decide to buy an animal from a pet store or an expo, you can actually check for abnormal areas on the snake using your own eyes and hands. This isn't necessarily the case for online shopping as you don't know what affects the trip to your door will have on the snake. If you do decide to buy online, read each description carefully to see how the animal is currently doing.
Even buying in person you're only able to see what you see. Snakes are extremely skilled at hiding illness.

Pet stores should be the last place you buy a reptile, especially the big box chain stores.
Old 10-16-19, 02:35 PM   #5
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina the Fishy View Post
Hello everyone! I am looking into getting a corn snake. This will be my first snake. I do a lot of research before I get new animals, but I still have some questions that hopefully you all can answer.

1.) I am looking into getting an albino. I really love the color of babies that have a white body with red markings, but all of the adult pictures of albinos that I have seen, the part that is white is usually yellow. Do baby snakes keep the same colors and patterns when they grow up, or does it change? I would really like a white and red corn snake. POST PICTURES OF YOUR ALBINOS AS BABIES AND WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE AS ADULTS PLEASE!

2.) Have you ever been musked on by a corn, and how often? This is a big thing because the people in my house are very opposed to an animal smelling bad even a little.

3.)What is your PERSONAL opinion on getting a snake from a local pet store vs online vs from a hobby breeder? No arguments please. Just kindly state your opinion.

6.) For those of you who also have bearded dragons, which would you choose to have if you could only have one reptile; a bearded dragon, or a corn snake? I am also looking into getting a dragon.

Thanks everyone!
I don't keep corns anymore, but here's my two cents:

1) i can't help with morphs, sorry

2) corn snakes musk, it's their only self-defense when they're hatchlings and growing. They generally outgrow it fairly quickly as they gain size and confidence. But if you're bringing home a juvenile you can almost be you'll be musked.

3) PLEASE don't buy your an from a pet store. Your best bet would be to buy online or at an expo from a reputable breeder. Most expos have vendor lists online so you can research before going.

4) I don't think I've been bitten by a corn...Kings, BPs, garters, and my new Bredli, but I don't think by a corn. I've been tagged many times by Kings and I can tell you this...bee stings, cat scratches, stubbed toes, sunburns, paper cuts, etc...all hurt more than a bite from an Adult 4 foot King.

5) corns aren't overly active during the day, but most species of snake in the hobby aren't. You'll see more activity at night, but corns still spend the majority of their time hidden.

6) can't speak on beardies either
Login to remove ads
Old 10-16-19, 06:33 PM   #6
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:

Thanks everyone!
1. Corn snakes do change colour from baby to adult. You'll want to search out a specific line bred candycane corn to keep as much white as possible. There might be some combo out there that helps this out too.

2. I've never been musked. Young corns may poop/pee on you but it isn't musk usually. Musk is a very distinct smell.

3. For your first, search out a local hobby breeder who will support you after purchase. Also, if you're in the right area, a reptile specific pet store would also be okay. A lot of these will breed their own corns. I'd buy from a petco at the VERY last resort. Buying online is okay but maybe not for your first purchase so you know exactly what you're getting by buying in person.

4. Yes. They tend to nip as real young babies but grow out of it quite quickly. It isn't an issue in the least.

5. Corns are active during the day sometimes yes.

6. I'm a snake person so I prefer the corn over the beardie. The snake is far less daily care whereas the beardie will cost more to upkeep, more daily upkeep and need more space. However, with that said, I find more people enjoy their beardie on a handling level more than they do snakes.
Old 10-16-19, 06:46 PM   #7
Tina the Fishy

Thank you everyone for your answers so far! It's been really helpfull! Ive heard about candy cane corns. Here's another question: What is the difference between a candy cane and an albino. I know there is a difference, but I can't tell what.
Old 10-17-19, 04:54 PM   #8
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Quote:

most if not all albinos will yellow as they age. I have a coral albino boa who is about 8 years old now. She started off super peaches and cream and has yellowed into a gorgeous butter color.

I have been musked by a bull snake and an atb and it is not pleasant. Not awful. Just not pleasant. However keep in mind that colubrids poop A LOT and that does absolutely smell.

I've done both and I don't see a problem buying from a pet store

no.

never had one. I imagine they would be more active than snakes that are characteristically nocturnal

both are good beginner reptiles. I'd probably go with the corn. Less maintenance, more forgiving of keeper error, and you don't have to keep live food on hand.

Thanks everyone!
My replies are in bold. I hope that helps!
Old 10-18-19, 08:38 AM   #9
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your answers so far! It's been really helpfull! Ive heard about candy cane corns. Here's another question: What is the difference between a candy cane and an albino. I know there is a difference, but I can't tell what.
Candy cane albinos have been selectively bred for particular traits. In these cases you want to find someone who is trustworthy to purchase from who isn't calling any ole albino a candy cane.
Closed Thread

Tags
albino, corn snake, pictures