sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-17, 02:36 AM   #1
simon07989

What Colour Morph is this?

What Colour Morph is this?

And will this change Colour as it gets older? Thanks Everyone..

Login to remove ads
Old 05-16-17, 03:16 AM   #2
simon07989

Re: What Colour Morph is this?

Old 05-16-17, 03:39 AM   #3
bigsnakegirl785

I believe it may be a sunfire.
Old 05-16-17, 06:32 AM   #4
simon07989

Also people. Does He look like a good weight for 4 months old?
Thanks..
Old 05-16-17, 06:33 AM   #5
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

If it's a morph I'd say platinum, I miss the fading towards the tail and the softer edges / cleaner look that sunfires tend to have. Platinums get more yellow as they age (Sunfires also brighten up, but they get a more cleaner/faded look to them). I looked a lot into the difference between sunfires and platinums since I have a rescue girl with an unknown morph myself, suspected platinum. Remember though.. It's not an exact science to determine certain morphs just by looking at the snake.

He resembles my girl a bit, here's the most recent picture of her.

Edit: B.t.w. did you not mention you bought it as a platinum? Also may I ask why you're bathing him?
Also to know if he would be a proper size we would have to know a lot more about his lineage.
Old 05-16-17, 06:57 AM   #6
simon07989

Yes, I was told it was a Platinum. I wanted though to ask what people thought, without putting the idea in there mind.

Bathing him. I am not sure. I think this was when we first bought him back from the pet shop and just wanted to clean him up.

I was told to bath weekly to get them used to it?

And, WOW. You have a nice looking snake. How old is she?
Old 05-16-17, 07:04 AM   #7
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Snakes don't need baths...therefore you don't have to get them used to it.

Nice retic.
Old 05-16-17, 07:22 AM   #8
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

I have to agree with Andy on the baths!

And thanks, she's from 2015 that's all I know. Don't have an exact date of birth for her, don't have an exact anything for her. I got her from someone who was new to snakes and didn't remember a whole lot specifically about her, or about her parents besides them both being Super-dwarves one having a yellow head and the other being a "yellow morph". They gave her up for being aggressive and therefore not being able to care for her, though she has not displayed a single ounce of aggression to me and is actually one of my most easygoing reticulated pythons
Old 05-16-17, 07:57 AM   #9
simon07989

Well there you go then, there loss and your gain..

As a keeper of Retic's can you answer a question for me.
If I was to get a Male Burmese, would they be able to be out together when both around 2/3 or would the Retic try to fight, see the Burm as a threat to its territory?
Old 05-16-17, 08:31 AM   #10
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

I keep all my snakes separate, very rarely take them out for anything besides to look them over and the occasional pictures. I would never mix species up having them both out at the same time, I don't even feel all that comfortable taking multiple males out from the same species. I've seen people do it, but I'm definitely the wrong person to ask. Because I would not take any risk that can be avoided so easily. There's always a risk..
Old 05-16-17, 08:33 AM   #11
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

As far as giants go, having one out at a time will probably be challenging enough.
Old 05-16-17, 10:30 AM   #12
dannybgoode

Again I appreciate I may come across as harsh and that's not my intent. I'm a Yorkshireman and just say it like it is that's all.

You've took on a potentially challenging snake without doing the research. Hey it happens and it's done but you need to be aware of what you've taken on.

This snake has the potential to exceed 18', even 20'. Ok it's a male so those sizes are unlikely but 14-15' are a distinct possibility and it *may* get larger still. . That is lot of snake. If you have a decent zoo near you see if they have retic display (Chester Zoo for example have a pair of beauties) and if they do go and see them and consider how that'll feel in your house.

I won't take a retic on - just too much snake for me and I've moved into giant territory with some of my collection.

That's a big intimidating snake even for someone with experience. It's also going to need a big viv - I'd be measuring up for an 8'x3'x3' as a minimum. It's going to be eating rabbits eventually so you need a source of them and they are not the cheapest food.

You also need to think about safe handling. It's not just the constricting risk from something like this, a bite can xxxx you up big time. I know a guy who nearly lost his foot from an upset retic taking a chunk out of it. He'll never walk properly again.

As I say this isn't intended to have a go at you, just get you thinking about the future. It's good you're asking questions but you need to do research beyond this forum as well (I'll admit I'm at my limit with the scrubs I'm taking on so there's nothing wrong per se with taking something on but you need to know the potential issues). Retics are snakes to be treated with the utmost respect - they can be brilliant animals but read their mood wrong and it could change your life.

There's a pinned thread at the top of the giant forum specifically on what to consider when taking one I and it's an excellent starting point.

As to your question. No I wouldn't have a burm out with a retic. If I'm honest I wouldn't even think about getting a burm until this guy is full grown as you may find it quite with snake to be dealing with.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 05-16-17, 10:33 AM   #13
sattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
Snakes don't need baths...therefore you don't have to get them used to it.

Nice retic.
I had this vision of trying to give a 15 foot retic a bath... My guy fights me when I spray him down with Nix; I can't imagine giving him a bath when he's full grown...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Old 05-17-17, 06:25 AM   #14
simon07989

Danny, I appreciate your honesty.

On the day I bought the snake I was taking some heavy duty pain medication for 2 slipped discs and so life was great! lol

However, I am the kind of person who becomes obsessed with a subject until I know everything there is to know. Hence I am now making sure I am armed with all the knowledge I need to know to grow and mature with this snake.

I know that it will be a challenge, which I accept, and Thank Everyone for there helpful replies and honesty.

I will NOT become another Giant snake owner who in 3 years time looks for a re-home. I accept that this guy will be with me now for 20 years plus.

Keep up the good work Guys, and any more helpful hints or tips would be really appreciated.
Old 05-17-17, 06:48 AM   #15
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon07989 View Post
Danny, I appreciate your honesty.

On the day I bought the snake I was taking some heavy duty pain medication for 2 slipped discs and so life was great! lol

However, I am the kind of person who becomes obsessed with a subject until I know everything there is to know. Hence I am now making sure I am armed with all the knowledge I need to know to grow and mature with this snake.

I know that it will be a challenge, which I accept, and Thank Everyone for there helpful replies and honesty.

I will NOT become another Giant snake owner who in 3 years time looks for a re-home. I accept that this guy will be with me now for 20 years plus.

Keep up the good work Guys, and any more helpful hints or tips would be really appreciated.
As I say I'm taking on a pair of snakes that are at the limit of what I think I can deal with and far beyond anything I currently have - it's the knowing that you're at your limit that's the important thing.

Just grow with the snake, learn to read it's moods, don't ever ever underestimate or trust it completely. The retic the guy nearly lost his foot to had owned in over 10 years without a hint of aggression and he got it wrong one day.

Do try and find a good retic keeper near you perhaps and handle a few adults so you know what to be expecting.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
reticulated python