sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-17, 06:35 PM   #1
Elliemay61

Send a message via AIM to Elliemay61 Send a message via MSN to Elliemay61
New snake to me.

I've recently adopted an albino burmese python who measures in at 10 ft. I'm looking for some tips on how to get an older burmese to get accustomed to me and my presence. He came from a home where there was very little handling and I d like to change that.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-13-17, 09:19 PM   #2
bigsnakegirl785

Re: New snake to me.

As long as the snake isn't being bitey, pretty much just handle it a couple times a week. The snake will either come around with time or it won't, you'll just have to settle for it however it turns out.

Hook training it might also help, just rub it or gently tap its head any time you need to work with it, unless it's feeding time. You want the snake to associate the hook with anything except feeding time, so that it sees the hook and knows no food is coming.

Make sure you also have another person with you at any time you open the snake's enclosure, even if it's just to feed it.
Old 03-14-17, 02:32 AM   #3
Scubadiver59

Yes, use the 1:5 or 1:3 rule with big snakes! One person for every five, or every three feet of snake in case things go wrong. You don't need an SFE with a large and powerful snake like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
As long as the snake isn't being bitey, pretty much just handle it a couple times a week. The snake will either come around with time or it won't, you'll just have to settle for it however it turns out.

Hook training it might also help, just rub it or gently tap its head any time you need to work with it, unless it's feeding time. You want the snake to associate the hook with anything except feeding time, so that it sees the hook and knows no food is coming.

Make sure you also have another person with you at any time you open the snake's enclosure, even if it's just to feed it.
Old 03-14-17, 08:06 PM   #4
Elliemay61

Thank you for the advice, I got her out of her tank today with 2 other. And let her take a warm bath, while I cleaned up her tank.
Old 03-14-17, 08:29 PM   #5
uhhlise_nacole

Did he come from less than ideal conditions or simply lack of handling due to size?
you're a brave soul to take on that much snake, hats off to you! wish you the best and hopefully the more interaction he has with you the more he'll come around. I'd say that's a great sign if you were able to get him out for a soak with no incident. I'll be excited to hear how he's coming along in his new home (:
Login to remove ads
Old 03-15-17, 04:22 AM   #6
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Be careful giving snakes a warm bath, being cold blooded, a bath that is lukewarm/cool for us is already warm for them. Your skin temperature is on avarage warmer than normal ambient temperature, so anything actually warm to the touch goes above that. Even if the water is just " terrarium hot side temperature" water heats them up quicker than air, they could overheat since it takes away any option to thermoregulate. It takes a while for them to notice something is too hot. (Hence why they get easily burned from unprotected bulbs) Baths are only truly nessecary for medical reasons, if you insist on giving baths to healthy animals I'd advise to keep it lukewarm. You could be already doing that, but then I ask you to describe it differently. Anyone unknowingly reading "warm bath" might actually put their snakes in a warm/hot bath.
Old 03-15-17, 09:37 AM   #7
Elliemay61

Thankyou Tsubaki, I understand the temperature was more tepid, room temperature if you will. I was under the impression burm liked "soaking"am I mistaken? But again he was in a filthy tank, I rescued him. I removed at least 2 sheds from the packed filth.
Old 03-15-17, 09:45 AM   #8
Elliemay61

Here he is in the tub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-03-15 08.43.12.jpg (94.7 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Elliemay61; 03-15-17 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Wrong headlines
Old 03-15-17, 09:59 AM   #9
dave himself

He's a beautiful boy
Old 03-15-17, 03:16 PM   #10
afsgr88

He looks beautiful! Can't wait for my noodle to reach that size

1.0 Albino Burmese Python (Lotan) ☆ 0.1 BCI (Nagini) ☆ 1.0 Continental Bulldog (Bundy) ☆ 1.0 Boyfriend
Login to remove ads
Old 03-16-17, 06:15 AM   #11
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Pretty boy! Good luck with him
Old 03-16-17, 04:30 PM   #12
Elliemay61

Thanks everyone, he's calming down each day I try to interact with him several times a day .
Old 03-16-17, 06:53 PM   #13
REM955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliemay61 View Post
I try to interact with him several times a day .
I could be wrong, but I have always limited the amount of handling, giving plenty of space around feeding. I did not think there was any exception to it, but I am certain someone can chime in on that.
Old 03-17-17, 09:59 AM   #14
Elliemay61

Rem955 yes that rule is true, I give him his space after feeding due to his staying in hunt mode, as far as my interactions I speak to him daily, I know that sounds silly but hey it can't hurt. I rescued Buttercup from a negligent situation.
Old 03-17-17, 10:28 AM   #15
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliemay61 View Post
Rem955 yes that rule is true, I give him his space after feeding due to his staying in hunt mode, as far as my interactions I speak to him daily, I know that sounds silly but hey it can't hurt. I rescued Buttercup from a negligent situation.
All of my snakes, rescues or purchases, get daily touches and talks. Sometimes, for some that are more stressed out (my recent purchase is very skiddish), they will only get a hello, and a confirmation touch that all is well. for others that are more demanding of their out time, they will get handled quite frequently, even after being fed (depending on how healthy they are). My albino burm, who came from a negligent situation, craves being out of her enclosure. After she feeds, she's on lock down, but there have been times where even lock down doesn't stop her from trying to get out. In those situations, yes, I will have her come out briefly, and lay on a towel. she'll just sit there for a few minutes, I'll put her back in her enclosure, and she'll go into her hide and digest. she just needs to "feel" like she's got options.

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread