border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-17, 12:24 PM   #1
teddybear_

Burmese Python + Toddler

Hi! This is my first time posting to this forum, so I hope I'm doing it right? Anyway, as you can probably guess by the title, I'm currently the proud owner of a Burmese, who caps in at about 10 feet, currently. The problem is, my fiancé and I have plans to move in together, and he has a three year old daughter. And I have some concerns.

Has anyone kept a Burmese and a small child in the same household? Were there any problems? How did you manage to keep both the snake and the child safe?

Currently, both my Burm's tank and the room the tank is kept in have locks, and she's never let out without my constant supervision. For the years I've had her, she's a very docile thing, never even tried to bite, and is very easy with my ten year old nephew. But, I don't know. I still feel anxious about the whole thing.

Obviously, my step-daughter will be my first priority, and if necessary, my uncle (Burm's original breeder) is willing to take the snake off my hands. But before I make any decisions like that, I'd love to hear some of your takes on a situation like this.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-06-17, 03:12 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Burmese Python + Toddler

Locked enclosures, locked rooms and never let the kid near the snake while it's out is pretty reasonable to avoid any situation.
Old 03-06-17, 04:37 PM   #3
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Locked enclosures, locked rooms and never let the kid near the snake while it's out is pretty reasonable to avoid any situation.
This is right on.
Old 03-06-17, 04:43 PM   #4
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

I agree with Aaron_S. I think you are already doing what needs to be done. How does your fiancé feel? Having this kind of pet could be really enriching for his child

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Old 03-06-17, 08:28 PM   #5
bigsnakegirl785

Agree with the above. The snake poses no danger if it can't escape and has no interaction with the child. Once they get old enough, then you can work on introducing them.
Old 03-06-17, 08:38 PM   #6
Kathryntheclean

I would think that, as with any animal, if you are watching said child while she feels or pets the snake, they will both be okay. She will learn from the experience and the snake will have another friend. But, at the toddler's age, I would always keep your snake locked away unless you were there to mediate. I don't have a toddler now, thank God. I do have two teens, help me God. They can handle the snake but are too grossed out by poo, pee, cleaning of the cage, etc...to really take care of our corn snake. But, if you do indeed have a "safe" snake who's never bitten a human, then everything should be hunky-dory.
Old 03-06-17, 08:42 PM   #7
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryntheclean View Post
I would think that, as with any animal, if you are watching said child while she feels or pets the snake, they will both be okay. She will learn from the experience and the snake will have another friend. But, at the toddler's age, I would always keep your snake locked away unless you were there to mediate. I don't have a toddler now, thank God. I do have two teens, help me God. They can handle the snake but are too grossed out by poo, pee, cleaning of the cage, etc...to really take care of our corn snake. But, if you do indeed have a "safe" snake who's never bitten a human, then everything should be hunky-dory.
I personally would not let a toddler around a giant, just because of the size and speed they have. If they got spooked and bit, a giant could kill the toddler. They're dangerous for adults, let alone a baby. Letting the baby touch something small and harmless like a corn snake or ball python is one thing, but I'd save the giants until they're older. Generally, they're pretty docile and not willing to strike (depending on the individual), but they can have their bad days and they can get startled.
Old 03-06-17, 09:18 PM   #8
Kathryntheclean

I'm certainly not suggesting the baby hold the snake. Gentle pets are not okay? I mean, with the owner coaching, saying, pet gently and right here. I wouldn't let a toddler near it without very close supervision, but could a snake like that really hurt a baby? That is, if it's considered very gentle and has never hurt any human? I am new to snakes, but it seems like any animal could potentially harm one that little? Or am I totally off base?
Old 03-06-17, 10:44 PM   #9
Jim Smith

I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that extreme caution is a much safer and wiser path to take. Knowing the curiosity of children, all it would take is one simple error (which we are all prone to) by not locking the door, or letting the child see where the keys are kept, and you could easily end up a tragedy that you would never forgive yourself for. If it were me, I would let my uncle take the snake and settle for a much smaller, less potentially harmful species. Admittedly, I am an Aviation Safety Consultant so I consider risk first in all situations, but given the possible outcome, however remote, I simply would never take that chance. Just one man's opinion...
Old 03-06-17, 11:10 PM   #10
Skipper7

I agree with the above.

And Kathryn, yes, a 10 foot burm is capable of killing a grown man. Unlikely, but possible. It just isn't a risk I would take. That said, the OP knows the snake and its habits- he can make a better judgement than I can.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-07-17, 01:10 AM   #11
Kathryntheclean

Wow! I guess I need to do more research on the bigger guys, then. I had no idea they could really kill a grown man. A little scary. I tend to get too comfortable with my pets, I guess. My mother's the same way. She feeds dogs on the side of the road who look hungry to her. Once when she did that the dog attacked her. Had a motorcyclist not been passing by to see this happen and attacked the dog with a tire iron to save my mother, she'd be dead. She had to have stitches everywhere. The dog had been abused by someone and had just gone crazy on her. So, yeah, always use caution...with all species.
Old 03-07-17, 04:03 AM   #12
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Even if a larger snake would not kill (which they can), a single bite could mutilate the child for life. Burms have puncturing bites with long teeth, a grab to the face/neck or anything with major blood vessels could be extremely hazardous. Retic teeth even lacerate through flesh with their more knife like teeth, they pose an even bigger risk than burms (I know this is about a burm, just sharing info). I never let children get close to any snake large enough to give them more than a scratch at most, and then still keep the head away and never let them bring them close t their faces (Eyes are easily damaged!). Children are curious, and even the most docile snake might snap when poked in the eye or grabbed by the tail (past the vent). Keeping toddlers and giants apart completely is the only way to go in my book. Locked room, Locked enclosure.
Old 03-07-17, 08:01 AM   #13
Jim Smith

Speaking of constrictors killing a grown man, there is one person who used to frequent this board who had a large red tailed boa in his collection. He was going to do some spot cleaning, change the water etc. so he removed the snake and placed it over his shoulders while he prepared to do the work. Something spooked the snake and it constricted around his neck and before he could properly react, he had passed out due to lack of blood to his brain. His brother in law just happened to be walking by his snake room which has an internal window and saw him fall. He rushed in and removed the snake so there was no permanent harm done. That said, if the brother in law hadn't just been walking by, there is a real possibility that the snake would have continued to constrict until the man man was dead. Just something to consider....

Tags
advice needed, burm, burmese, burmese python, safety