sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-13, 02:46 PM   #1
SaveDeafDogs

Lightbulb Hypos and Breeding?

Hey everyone,
I'm brand new here and wanted to start off with a quick hello!
I just found a post on craigslist about a Hypo Brazilian Rainbow Boa, and I was intruiged. I've never seen a Hypo BRB in persona and generally only find normals for sale. I took a look at the pictures and it looked like a Hypo but without a point of reference I really couldn't tell. Regardless I just had to jump on it. I picked him up and he looks like he's in good health and his temperament is to die for, sweet as can be. I currently breed several types chameleons and was considering Brazilian Rainbow Boas as my first snake breeding project. I understand it can be fairly difficult, but I'm will to put the time and research into it to make it plausible.
My question is more about genetics and morphs. He's about 4 years old, so plenty mature for breeding, and I was considering getting a female and trying my luck. But obviously I'd like to produce some pretty babies and the more Hypos the better.
questions!
1. how do i know this snake has the hypo gene considering I have very little information about him? Is he hypo?
2. how can you PROPERLY identify a hypo versus a high color? They're both so beautiful that sometimes I can't tell the difference... it would be really stupid to start a breeding project with a snake that doesn't have the gene I'm looking for haha
3. what kind of female would you suggest for the best results? or interesting results... I'm very open to ideas if anyone has any.
4. do you know where I could find a respectable female?

I'm SUPER excited to start thinking about this project so early in the year. I just need to find the right pair any suggestions are super helpful and i can't thank you enough!

got a 4 year old
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3Ma3Lb3oe5N15Gf5F9d31891b64c114031102-1.jpg (25.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7755.jpg (23.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 3Fd3Mc3Ha5G65F75H6d3132c835345a44177a-2.jpg (25.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7762.jpg (21.5 KB, 80 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 03-10-13, 04:02 AM   #2
medicinhed
Banned

Re: Hypos and Breeding?

To offer a comparison with a high orange. This one is mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0076.jpg (25.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0082.jpg (24.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0077.jpg (24.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-10-13, 04:11 AM   #3
medicinhed
Banned

There's 2 people on this forum to whom I defer vis-a-vis BRB breeding/husbandry.
Cliff Earle and David Colling.

When I take mine in my backyard, and let him on the lawn, he looks fake.

From a purely aesthetic standpoint? I really like high contrast. Maroon, bright orange, defined scimitars, defined dorsal markings and clear white laterals at night.

The above list makes for a stunner, and a wallet buster. But an adult BRB in the sunshine? Justifies a person's interest in herpetology.
Old 03-11-13, 02:27 PM   #4
Snakesitter

Hi SDD, welcome to the forums!

The pictured snake, unfortunately, does not look hypo to me. The key is the black pigment, which I feel is too pronounced for this snake to be a full hypo. He is a beautiful animal, though, and maybe the seller meant het for hypo?

The only way to know for sure is through breeding trials. The cheapest way to prove him either way would be a het hypo female. A breeding between those two would produce one of the following: 50% hypos and 50% hets (if I am wrong and is indeed a hypo), or 25% hypos and 75% “67% hets” (if he is het), or 100% “50% hets” (if he is normal). If you went with a full hypo female (more expensive), you would get 100% hypos (if he is hypo), or 50% hypos and 50% hets (if he is het), or 100% hets (if he is normal).

Also, note that you are actually too late in the year to safely/reliably breed. :-( By the time you found a good female, quarantined them both, and put them together, it would be far past season.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you!
Website, Facebook
Old 03-11-13, 02:30 PM   #5
Snakesitter

Thanks medicinhed! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicinhed View Post
But an adult BRB in the sunshine? Justifies a person's interest in herpetology.
Word. Nothing looks as amazing as one of these snakes crawling in the grass in the afternoon sun.
Website, Facebook
Login to remove ads
Old 03-11-13, 02:49 PM   #6
DeadlyDesires

i so want one of these snakes.. they are gorgeous
Old 03-11-13, 03:38 PM   #7
CK SandBoas
queen of the Chicken Dance

Send a message via Yahoo to CK SandBoas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Thanks medicinhed! :-)

Word. Nothing looks as amazing as one of these snakes crawling in the grass in the afternoon sun.
I will third this, these guys just can't compare to any other snake when they're outside, in full sunshine
Old 03-13-13, 01:44 PM   #8
Snakesitter

Several breeders frequent this page, so browse for a while and you will get an idea of names. Note, however, we are between litter seasons, which means that most litters will have been well-picked over by now. (Litters usually arrive between August and October, though there are always exceptions.) Good luck, wherever you go!
Website, Facebook
Old 03-14-13, 12:04 PM   #9
SaveDeafDogs

Thank you all for your help. I'm in no rush. And unfortunately I still don't really know what my snake is. Haha maybe I'll try breeding him eventually. For now... I'm going to keep my eyes open for a nice female over the next year and hopefully I'll get some pretty babies in time

Any suggestions on morphs or would you guys suggest getting a hypo female anyway?
Old 03-18-13, 03:00 PM   #10
Snakesitter

The proven morph market for Brazilians is tiny. We have hypos, aneries, and ghosts...and that's pretty much it. Albinos exist, but are still being proven out. If you really want to prove him, a het hypo female is the most cost-effective way to go; otherwise, just pick a snake you like, morph or not!
Website, Facebook
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
brazilian rainbow boa, hypo