border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-04, 07:10 AM   #16
bidden

Marisa: there has been a banner on here for a couple months, and not too long ago someone posted a thread in the General box. There was also a banner on reptilerescue.on.ca for quite some time.

Just must have missed it.

on another note.... ANYONE know who won the silent auction since Meghan won't spill the beans??
Old 06-21-04, 07:36 AM   #17
Spreeguy

Went to the show to pick up some stuff.
Found it to be "slow" but it was very nice being able to stop and talk to the breeders without feeling like i'm in the way.
Hopefully it will continue. I might just need to get a table at the next show
Old 06-21-04, 07:39 AM   #18
Reptile Kings

Forgot to add that Mark from Northern Gecko definently brought some humor and laughter into the show, with his auctioning off of some vendors' reptiles. He was quite the funny character as always at this and other shows! He has no limits. lol
-Sam
Old 06-21-04, 09:02 AM   #19
JD@reptiles

Send a message via MSN to JD@reptiles
Good show. However I was not impressed with the auction. I believe the money was going to reptile rescue? and they allowed a burm to go on the auction? Isn’t this in there top 3-4 problem animal? The bearded dragon went for too little. In fact a lot of the vendors got pretty upset when this auction started. I'm not superised some vendors didn't show up. for a couple reasons that I will keep to myself.

Auctioning off live animals is wrong to do. Because I am not saying that it will, but most likely is going to end up in the hands of an impulse buyer and will soon die.

Another However! It was a first show and always room for improvement. Auction I would not do again or a lot of vendors won’t show, more advertising with signs on the streets, post on all the Canadian public forums. Not just on the reptile rescue site.

My two cents

Jordan

"I Don't Get Mad, I Get Even!"
Old 06-21-04, 11:02 AM   #20
Matt_K

I don't recall seeing a banner here on ssnakess.com.. You would think if it was in the rotation, it would have been spotted atleast once in the thousands of times i've visited the site leading up to the show.. I agree with Jordan, some signs outside of the building and in and around Newmarket would have brought many more people through the doors. But, like everyone is saying, it was the first show, so now you take all this feedback and use it to make the next one better..

Definatly down with the auctions...
Login to remove ads
Old 06-21-04, 11:31 AM   #21
exotic_66

Send a message via MSN to exotic_66
the new market show was pretty fun actaully got a chance to talk to some of the other vendors. i picked up a nice rose hair from jordan thanx dude and i got a pink toe trantula from dominic

the auction think ..not the best idea!

~NESSY~ :P
Old 06-21-04, 11:35 AM   #22
marisa

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
I agree with Matt_K....this is one of the only forums I visit, so I log on quite a few times per day. I have never ever seen one banner about a Newmarket Reptile show here. Nor did I see any posting. I also could not find any posting notifying people of the show using the search function from the organizers....some members mentioned it but an organizer should have posted a couple times before the date. These are things the organizers will have to do next time. When a PCPC show is coming about, you see Grant has posting a couple times almost everywhere to remind people of the date, the vendors list, etc.

I hope they do keep these certain things in mind, because I had a good time and I would love to see a successful show in Newmarket as not everyone can get down to Mississuaga.

Marisa
Old 06-21-04, 11:40 AM   #23
bidden

ya, I agree, more external advertising would have helped. When you get to a PCPC show you can't miss that thing

When I got there I couldn't tell if I was in the right place or not.

I think the silent auctions were great. Money went to a good cause. The vendors had already accepted they were giving away the product, so what does the price matter.

I agree though, a live aution at something that small is probably a waste. There wasn't nearly enough buyers for it to be sucessful at all.

I'm sure the next one will be better.
Old 06-21-04, 11:50 AM   #24
Matt_K

Quote:
I think the silent auctions were great. Money went to a good cause. The vendors had already accepted they were giving away the product, so what does the price matter.
No one is complaining about the Silent Auction.. The complaints are about the people with the mic walking up to tables asking if anyone wanted to auction off stuff.. Ball Python's being auctioned off for $30 when you have some breeders there that produce Balls every year is a huge kick in their face.. Same goes for the Beardie being auctioned off when you have some Canada's top Beardie Breeders with tables at the show, it's a kick in their face.. And a burm being auctioned off?? Of all snakes, a Burm??? You honestly can't think that's a good idea, can you??? The Auctions never should have taken place unless all the vendor's agree'd on it.

Im not sure if the money from the above auctions went to 'a good cause' but if it did, they're gonna need it in a few months when whoever won that Burm realizes what they've gotten themselves into..
Old 06-21-04, 11:53 AM   #25
Reptile Kings

The "Silent" Auction's proceeds went towards Reptile Rescue, Canada. I however was talking about the spur of the moment auction that was going on with the microphone in the hall, and the animals that were being sold there were small inexpensive ones. The beardie was originally priced at $35 at the vendors table, and sold for $20. Not bad, if you think that it helped them with a sale, so what they missed out on $15.
The other two items were small items as well, i'm not talking about them auctioning off a huge iguana or something.
It brought some humor and it was funny. Simple as that.

As for advertising yes, their could have been more. Again it was the first show for them up here, and it didn't do too terrible. Heck many vendors sold more there than the pcpc show, so it wasn't too bad. Hopefully next year will be better for them.

I'm still surprised at the many vendors that just decided not to show up without letting her know...rather rude I'd say....hmmm..
-Sam
Login to remove ads
Old 06-21-04, 11:59 AM   #26
Reptile Kings

Just read your latest post Matt, didn't know a burm was auctioned off, must've missed that one. The ones i did see being auctioned was a small young beardie, and two other small things. Missed the burm i guess...ya that wasn't a good idea, totally agree on that.

The Silent Auction bid on the tank combos is honestly going to a great cause. Candy from Reptile Rescue, Canada has helped find tons of homes for reptiles that needed them, she's been doing really well, and this money will help her out some in continuing to do so. This was an absolute great idea. No doubt about that.
-Sam
Old 06-21-04, 12:01 PM   #27
marisa

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
If the profits were going to a rescue, then why in gods name would a Burmese be auctioned? How ironic and dumb is that? I am sorry but please don't beg for donations, then auction off a burm. That's ridiculous.

Another thing I'd like to mention. People seem to be saying "Oh poor Nadia vendors didn't show, they should have told her"

How about she should have not put vendors on a list when those vendors specifically said they were not showing, or even had no idea they were on the list? I know for a fact this happened with a few vendors. It's not up to the organizers to make their list look better before confirming with vendors. I am sure a few DID confirm and not show, but I know for a fact a few specifically said no, and were left on the list.

Marisa
Old 06-21-04, 12:32 PM   #28
Painted Desert

The profits from the SILENT auction went to RR.... not the live auction in the hall itself... i belive the sale money from those animals went directly to the contributor of the reptile itself... but i could stand corrected...

"Mack" Co-Dom Snows/Super Snows NOW AVAILABLE
Old 06-21-04, 12:35 PM   #29
marisa

Well that would make more sense. I hope that is the way it was.

Marisa
Old 06-21-04, 12:40 PM   #30
bidden

oh, I missed that part, you are right, going around and just "auctioning off" what they can doesn't sound like the best idea. totally agree. I don't know much about Bermese, but don't they grow to like 15ft??? I sure hope whoever got that realized what they were getting in to.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread