border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-20, 10:35 PM   #1
Citrus.snakes

Question Too cold for comfort!

I have a heat lamp and two heating pads (one stuck to the bottom of the tank, the other on the side.) both on the ‘hot’ side of my Ball Python’s 20 gallon long enclosure. But I still can’t seem to keep the temperature high enough for him! It hovers around 80 max. Ive tried higher power heat lamps but all that does is destroy the humidity which is also a struggle to keep up. The only thing I can think of is that I need to better insulate my tank, but I have no idea how! Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. I love my little guy a lot and want him to be as comfortable as possible.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-06-20, 06:58 AM   #2
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Re: Too cold for comfort!

Have you considered trying a RHP? (Radiant heating panel) they even heat up my enclosures fine in winter while the room is near freezing. Also is it a full glass tank?
Old 01-06-20, 07:52 AM   #3
craigafrechette

Re: Too cold for comfort!

I wrap my glass enclosures in 1/2" foam board insulation. I do the back, sides and top. This helps immensely with heat and humidity retention.

Also, it's important to understand that Under Tank Heaters (UTH or heat mat) are made to go Under the tank. They are designed just for a hot spot and not for ambient temps.
Think of it this way...the UTH on the side heats the side glass. And since heat rises, that heat just goes up and out. So unfortunately that UTH is basically useless on the side. BPs definitely don't hang out stuck to the side glass.

You may need to get a higher wattage bulb or CHE.

Also, extremely important....ARE YOUR HEAT SOURCES REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT???

A RHP, like mentioned above, is a great option, but a bit pricey especially for a temporary 20 gallon tank. Might be worth looking into for your next enclosure though.
Closed Thread

Tags
heat issues, heating issues, help and advice, help me please, insulating tank