border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-19, 06:39 PM   #1
Alpha.kbn

Exclamation Hatchling central boa not eating

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can shed some advice on my situation. I currently have 2 ball pythons, 1 corn snake and a central boa. I purchased the boa on 9/16. He was only 3 weeks old and weighted about 40 grams when I brought him home. I will admit I'm stupid because I moved across the country on 9/27 and I shouldn't have purchased him knowing I was going to move. I have always wanted a boa and decided to treat my self without really thinking things threw. Anyway the breeder said he feed him on friday and he eats live hoppers. So on 9/23 (7 days later) I attempted to feed him. With no luck. After the move I waited a week and tried feeding him again on 10/7 and still no luck. We are now just past 5 feeding attempts and no luck at all. He is in a small maybe 3 gallon tote with a che. The tote is "blacked out". Temps are 92 basking And 85 ambiant. Humidity is usually around 60-65. He has 2 hides one on each side with a small plant. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have tried frozen and live. I have hand picked babies move from the breeder trying every size between fuzzy and hopper wondering it the prey was to big or to small. He is active at night. Moves from the warm side to the cool. Besides not eating he acts normal. I'm really at my wit's end. I have never had a snake that's this troublesome to get to eat. I'm really worried about him. I've been trying to find a vet that will work with reptiles, and I haven't had any luck or a vet visit would have already happened. What do you think?
Login to remove ads
Old 11-03-19, 08:36 AM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Hatchling central boa not eating

I'm surprised the breeder sold him at only 3 weeks old. How many times had he eaten before you got him? I think he's probably still acclimating. He's very young and he's already had two stressful moves in a short period of time. How often are you offering food? Your temps are a few degrees warmer than I keep my boas but they're in range. If he's behaving normally and not losing weight I'd keep offering food once every 10 days until he starts eating. I'm a firm believer that the hunger always wins in the end. I've never seen a healthy snake starve itself to death. Stay the course. If it's mice or rats, f/t or live. They all eat eventually. Keep us posted on your progress.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, hatchling, not eating