border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-16, 10:32 PM   #1
snakekid6996

Exclamation Baby snake help

I had my first clutch of snakes about two weeks ago. I'm more than excited, however unfortunately I'm having bad luck and I'm not sure what to do or what the problem is. Everything started off fine. 4 out of the 6 ate on the first try, taking it straight from the tongs, but the next day 3 of which had regurgitated. The one that didn't is now eating fine, but none of the others will take any food. Within the past 4 days two of the snakes have been found dead in their enclosure for no apparent reason. I'm not sure if this is something I'm doing wrong or if it's just a bad batch of babies. I need help!
The babies are all kept in 6qt. Tubs in a rack system with paper towels as substrate, and a hide/waterdish. They are kept at a temp. Of about 80°F.
Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-17-16, 11:50 PM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Baby snake help

Congrats on the new clutch!

To start out, what are they?

Also, I believe you want to wait a minimum of 7 days after a regurgitation. I may be wrong on those numbers, but it sounds like you fed too soon and then offered again too soon.

I stopped counting at 30....

Last edited by Minkness; 08-18-16 at 12:04 AM..
Old 08-17-16, 11:58 PM   #3
dannybgoode

Did you wait until they had shed? For that first bit before first shed they are absorbing the yolk sac and should not be offered additional food.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 08-18-16, 01:59 PM   #4
snakekid6996

Sorry, they're corn snakes! And I did wait until most of them had shed before the first meal and that's when the 4 ate with no issue, but I'm not sure why 3 of which (who had shed) regurgitated and why two of them have passed for no apparent reason
Old 08-18-16, 02:07 PM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Check your temperatures. It could not be warm enough to digest so they threw up the meal.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-18-16, 02:39 PM   #6
Albert Clark

Thiis^ ^^^^^^^^. Definitely sounds husbandry related. Sorry for the loss. Double and triple check your temperatures. Number one reason for a regurge is improper temperatures.
Old 08-23-16, 12:00 AM   #7
snakekid6996

Lost a 3rd baby. Triple checked the temps with a thermostat, temp gun, and a spring gauge and they all read right. I even readjusted the prob. of the thermostat so it was in one of the tubs just to make sure that the inside of the tubs were at 80 degrees. It's frustrating, because I'm keeping them the same way I've always kept all of my babies (I get them wholesale from a friend) and haven't had any issues.
Old 08-23-16, 07:12 AM   #8
Albert Clark

I think you should consider raising the temps to about 87F. First I would take them all out and administer 2 to 3 drops of acidophilus directly into the back of their mouths. Only the ones that regurged. Deep clean the tub and put them (the ones that regurged) into separate tubs if possible but maintaining that 87F temp. Don't feed them for ten days and then offer a smaller prey item.
Old 08-23-16, 07:21 AM   #9
snakekid6996

I'll try that. Thanks for the help! I'll let you know what happens
Old 08-23-16, 07:22 AM   #10
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

86-88 degrees is what you should be aiming for in order for these babies to digest their first couple meals. Other than that, the way you have described that you are keeping them sounds fine. Hopefully things turn around soon.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-23-16, 07:54 AM   #11
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekid6996 View Post
I'll try that. Thanks for the help! I'll let you know what happens
Cool. Just make sure they have plenty of fresh clean water. If it's too much to put the acidophilus directly into the back of their mouths (regurges only) then put the drops into the clean , fresh drinking water. Good luck.
Old 08-23-16, 04:17 PM   #12
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
I think you should consider raising the temps to about 87F. First I would take them all out and administer 2 to 3 drops of acidophilus directly into the back of their mouths. Only the ones that regurged. Deep clean the tub and put them (the ones that regurged) into separate tubs if possible but maintaining that 87F temp. Don't feed them for ten days and then offer a smaller prey item.
Why would you put that stuff in a snakes mouth? Thats even more stress.
Old 08-23-16, 04:45 PM   #13
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Why would you put that stuff in a snakes mouth? Thats even more stress.
It's the required preparation used in animals that have regurged and it's a replacement for lost gastric digestive enzymes. The brief period of stress is outweighed by the benefit of instilling the drops. If op is unable to adequately perform the procedure i said it was acceptable to put the drops in the water. After two regurges, I think it's acceptable to give the drops as quickly as possible.
Old 08-23-16, 04:59 PM   #14
Albert Clark

Lactobacillus acidophilus is a benign enzyme replacement for animals (reptiles) that have been or are on antibiotics. It's the good bacteria that is being replaced by the cultures in the product. Animals that have regurges are also benefitting from l.b.acidophilus. It's a natural preparation and is widely used in these instances. It's perfectly acceptable to instill the drops into drinking water.
Old 08-24-16, 07:17 AM   #15
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
It's the required preparation used in animals that have regurged and it's a replacement for lost gastric digestive enzymes. The brief period of stress is outweighed by the benefit of instilling the drops. If op is unable to adequately perform the procedure i said it was acceptable to put the drops in the water. After two regurges, I think it's acceptable to give the drops as quickly as possible.
1. Nothing is required. I don't know who has begun saying these drops are required for a regurge.

2. How do you know the snakes will drink from the water with the drops in them? It goes like this. Someone puts drops in the water, the snake eats fine the next go around. The person then proclaims "WOW these drops did it!" When in actuality the snake just handled it all on it's own and never drank.

Quote:
Lactobacillus acidophilus is a benign enzyme replacement for animals (reptiles) that have been or are on antibiotics. It's the good bacteria that is being replaced by the cultures in the product. Animals that have regurges are also benefitting from l.b.acidophilus. It's a natural preparation and is widely used in these instances. It's perfectly acceptable to instill the drops into drinking water.
Do you have a study since you've specifically outlined reptiles? As well these animals aren't or have not been on antibiotics so why would you be using the product?
I get the idea I'm just having a hard time changing my opinion on how to handle a regurge without solid facts.
Plenty of times people in the reptile world jump on something like this and proclaim it as amaze balls but it's really not.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
baby, corn snake, death, feeding