border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-16, 07:32 AM   #16
phassin

Re: Bid Build Thread

Thanks everybody! The snakes are doing great in the set up.

@ JellyBean - Where do you live in SC? I work in Rock Hill and my parents live in Fort Mill.

@Trailblazer - Ask away with whatever questions. I like the idea of branches for carpets. I put a few pieces of wood in and used hook and eye screws to keep them in place while allowing some give. I also agree with ToddnBecca with the sliding glass door being simple and looking good (also on keeping the rails above the substrate). I used acrylic instead of glass and aluminum C Channel for rails. Haven't had any issues with it so far.

@Dannybgoode - Depending on what type of animal you're housing, the background can be good or bad. I realize now most of the excessive decor is not very well respected by carpet pythons lol. They have destroyed much of the things I made from Styrofoam and will continue to reek havoc on anything not durable enough to withstand a python squeezing it....

I painted the inside with a latex paint and cheap 3" paintbrush. The outside was done with a matte black spray paint, though I would probably go with a gloss next time. I think I used like 5 or 6 cans... I don't remember exactly.

Now that I've had the snakes living in there for a few months, I have learned a lot about what works. If it can be slithered on, it will be. Jac has systematically destroyed half of the decor via night sprinting around his enclosure (I swear I heard footsteps in there one time). He gave himself the job of going everywhere very loudly after midnight. He moves the backgrounds and sits behind them sometimes. He slithers up into the light cords and suspends himself. I even saw him slithering upside down on the ceiling like he was in the exorcist. He found a way to knock off the gromets that cover the holes in the back in order to attempt an escape. I don't know how he figured it out without hands. He spent a month trying to shove his little head through the hole just so he could get stuck half way and force me to work some feat of engineering to get his his snake body free. Thankfully he can't fit his head through and I have since fixed the issue.... Jac is still my favorite

On the plus side, the temperatures and humidity are way easier to maintain in a wood enclosure. The snakes love using their ledges and spend most of their time on them. Clean up and snake removal is waaaaay easier from a frontal opening instead of top. There are many more positives than negatives with their set up for sure.
Old 09-15-16, 08:03 AM   #17
JellyBean

I live upstate, in Greenville County. (Taylors, Blue Ridge area)

I love building, and will no doubt be building something for Bean in the next year or so.

I've built custom enclosures for my Sugar Gliders, bearded dragon, Iguana... It's quite satisfying and you get exactly what you want.

I will admit, many times I end up building two, because ultimately you realize exactly what you want after the first build

I'd love an updated pic if you made changes.
Old 09-15-16, 10:23 AM   #18
dannybgoode

I'm thinking more of when I get my gecko. If the paint made the polystyrene durable enough for a gecko to climb on that would work really well.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 09-15-16, 10:35 AM   #19
phassin

I used grout not paint for the polystyrene. Not sure if paint would really strengthen it. A gecko would be fine I imagine.
Old 09-15-16, 11:20 AM   #20
dannybgoode

Grout is even better. Would make it good and strong. Certainly strong enough for my T. lepidus also.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Login to remove ads
Old 09-15-16, 02:21 PM   #21
phassin

@ JellyBean - I love that area. I went to school at Clemson. Upstate is beautiful. Here's the setup with both snakes and climbing logs added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (7).jpg (23.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-15-16, 02:29 PM   #22
JellyBean

Yes, it's a pretty area. I moved here from NY, but that was 20 years ago.

Simply Stunning! And you have some pretty snakes to show off too
Old 09-16-16, 06:22 AM   #23
phassin

Thanks! Hopefully by next year I'll have a bunch of hatched eggs from them.
Closed Thread

Tags
carpet python, diy, enclosure