border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-15, 02:20 PM   #1
megaquake2012

Unhappy Rattlesnake killed by feeder squirrel

I was feeding my rattle a squirrel I caught and made sure was not sick with any disease or parasite I fed him to my rattle but to my surprise the squirrel charged at the rattlesnake and did a sort of crocodile death roll and kept biting at it before I could intervene my poor rattle got a big hole in his head which sadly got infected he later died why did this happen? I thought squirrels were commonly fed to snakes
Login to remove ads
Old 02-07-15, 07:47 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Rattlesnake killed by feeder squirrel

Eat or be eaten in a closed environment. Sounds like survival of the fittest. Sometimes the predator becomes the prey. Sorry for your rattler.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 02-07-15, 08:00 PM   #3
SnoopySnake

I'm sorry to hear that, but this is a very good example on why frozen thawed is a good idea.
Old 02-07-15, 09:13 PM   #4
pet_snake_78

Did you keep the squirrel as a pet since it lived or ?
Old 02-07-15, 10:23 PM   #5
MDT

And you made sure it was not sick with any disease or parasite how?
Login to remove ads
Old 02-07-15, 10:46 PM   #6
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
And you made sure it was not sick with any disease or parasite how?
This is exactly what I was wondering...
Old 02-08-15, 06:20 AM   #7
SSSSnakes

WHY? F/T rodents are easily obtained.
Old 02-08-15, 08:41 AM   #8
fishingfool

Sorry for your loss man but now you know.the importance of checking for a feeding responce befor droping a live anamal in for feeding but i can see how with a rattle snake you would think it could at least strike it once even.if it.wasn't hungry and i only have seen squirrels feed to something that could take down a jumbo rat anyways I'm noticeing a lot of injuries. happening beacuse of improper food size i wouldn't feed a rattle snake anythink.much bigger then a medium rat live honestly and i also think the fact you caught a wild squirrel might have played a part in this you caught a wild anamal and put it in with a captive critter and wild tends to be tpugher in the long run sorry for your loss rattlers are awsome snakes
Old 02-08-15, 10:29 AM   #9
Stewjoe

Squirrels are downright aggressive, it's not uncommon for them to attack other animals and when you trap it in a container with a threat it's going to defend itself.
Old 02-08-15, 12:13 PM   #10
D Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopySnake View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, but this is a very good example on why frozen thawed is a good idea.
Amen, this is exactly why my Cali King (let alone any other snake I ever own) will be fed youthenized or F/T. Its simply not worth the risk.

Sucks to hear about this, on that note thank you for not posting pics. These stories that are accompanied with pics are heartbreaking.
Anatolius - 1.0 Honduran Milk (Lampropeltis Triangulum Hondurensis) Valentina - 0.1 Sonoran Gopher (Pituophis Catenifer Affinis) Medusa - 0.1 Black-Tailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus Molossus Molossus) Bubba - 1.0 AZ Mountain King (Lampropeltis Pyromelana)
Login to remove ads
Old 02-08-15, 01:18 PM   #11
MDT

So, one post with kind of an odd story...no responses from OP? Seems strange. Further...OP knew about "infection" on snake's head...no treatment mentioned..no vet (don't know what venomous laws are in the Great White North)...just seems weird.
Old 02-08-15, 04:09 PM   #12
jjhill001

There is random posts in this forum with just something stupid that makes it seem like it's there to cause people to get mad. I think it's the same person over and over.
Old 02-08-15, 11:25 PM   #13
Dcuccio742
Banned

Your an idiot for feeding a crazy wild animal thats much bigger and has claws and teeth much larger that a rat to your snake thats in an enclosure.thats just asking for trouble and you wonder why a great creature is now dead..
Old 02-10-15, 08:47 AM   #14
fishingfool

I'm ganna go ahead and scream TROLLL
Old 02-10-15, 09:50 AM   #15
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaquake2012 View Post
I was feeding my rattle a squirrel I caught and made sure was not sick with any disease or parasite I fed him to my rattle but to my surprise the squirrel charged at the rattlesnake and did a sort of crocodile death roll and kept biting at it before I could intervene my poor rattle got a big hole in his head which sadly got infected he later died why did this happen? I thought squirrels were commonly fed to snakes
I have been keeping snake for over 20+ years and have never heard of any one feeding squirrels.

I am think troll to.
sign0009.giffeedtroll.gif
Closed Thread

Tags
death, feeder, rattle, snake, squirrel