border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-15, 08:20 AM   #1
imnotarobot

I have a 12Lx12Wx18H tank and heater. Any snake that could live in it permanently?

Anything small enough to live in it as an adult. I am short on space and can't really set up anything larger, plus I already have this tank and enough extra stuff to set it up without spending any money. I prefer arboreal since it is tall but that is not a must. I am an experienced snake keeper so it doesn't have to necessarily be a beginner level snake, so open to anything but that being said the easier the better. The only thing that is really a must is non-venemous. Prefer something good for handling bu that is not a must.

Off the top of my head I was wondering about a garter snake and if there was a specific type that was smaller than the rest, or a ring neck, or if there was another kind that I maybe didn't know about.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-02-15, 01:30 PM   #2
trailblazer295

Re: I have a 12Lx12Wx18H tank and heater. Any snake that could live in it permanently

I was going to say MAYBE a male hognose until I read the non-venomous part. Other then that I don't know of any snakes small enough for that. It would be really hard to get a temperature gradient over a 12" distance.
Old 08-02-15, 05:20 PM   #3
imnotarobot

Re: I have a 12Lx12Wx18H tank and heater. Any snake that could live in it permanently

Sorry, I don't how to say what I'm trying to say. I wouldn't mind a rear-fanged, mildly venomous like a hognose or a garter. A male hognose was one of the things I was wondering about although a garter snake would probably be my top choice I was also thinking I could maybe do a ringneck.

The rule I've always heard is that the snake can be as long as two sides of the tank put together. So by that logic I should be ok to have anything that should top out at two feet. Right?
Old 08-11-15, 10:54 PM   #4
Katt

Male sandboa perhaps?
Old 08-13-15, 06:36 AM   #5
rubbertoes

If you want it to be arboreal, a ringneck, hognose, or garter wouldnt work... Ringnecks typically never ever stop squirming around, they are not good with handling. Plus you would never see it, they are fossorial. And as far as i know, they are not sold anywhere in the pet trade. It would have to be wild-caught. That space might be a bit small for a garter... But a hognose or sand boa like the others said might work!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-13-15, 06:42 AM   #6
rubbertoes

Or you could do a rough or smooth green, or a vine snake.
Closed Thread

Tags
small snake, what type of snake