border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-13, 09:54 PM   #1
wrecker45

Advice on escape behavior

Maybe try a thin strip of rubber or soft plastic along the top of the dam.
1.Corn snake. 1.Mexican milk snake. 2.California king snakes. 2. Western hognose snakes. 1. Pastel checker garter. 1. Checker garter. 1.Columbian red tail boa. 1. Ball python. 1. Smooth green snake. 1. Five lined skink. 1. Grey tree frog. 1. Chinese water dragon. 3 Bearded Dragons. 2 Leapard Geckos. 1. Black cat. and Lucy my border collie/lab.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-15-13, 10:01 PM   #2
Kari

Advice on escape behavior

I recently moved my 1.5yr coastal carpet python into a larger enclosure which was made from an old DNA extraction chamber. The front opening door hinges at the top so that the they swing upward. One of the features I installed in the tank was a substrate dam along the front rim, right where the doors latch along the bottom. Lately my snake has been wedging her head between the dam and the plexiglass in an attempt to push the door open. Although it is very well latched, I'm becoming concerned that she may injure herself. She squeezes into the space so tightly that her head flattens out completely. I am aware of the pliable nature of snake skulls yet I can't help worrying. Her lower jaw spreads and distorts and even her eyes squish. Afterwards it often looks like her jaw is misaligned but she makes no attempt to realign it again. Today I witnessed an attempt at escape. It looked like she was stuck and she didn't move until I unlatched the door and opened it. Afterwards she acted completely normal.

My main concern is that I leave tomorrow for Christmas in Alaska. I have a housemate who is going to look in on her and replenish water while I'm away for 2 weeks. Will she be OK until I get back and can figure out a long term solution or is this serious enough issue that I should secure her in the older (smaller) enclosure until I return?

I fed her this evening after the troubling squished head event and she showed a normal appetite and her jaw seems realigned again. As for her setup, her humidity fluctuates between 40 and 60 percent. Basking temp is 85-92F. Hot side hide is around 80 and cool side in the mid 70s. Great sheds every time, eats like a coastal.

Any advice or reassurance appreciated. I'll try and snap a picture for visual reference.
Old 12-16-13, 05:16 AM   #3
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Re: Advice on escape behavior

I would personally try to figure something out before I left. Not worth the risk to me anyway.
Old 12-16-13, 05:24 AM   #4
Starbuck

I think many young snakes like to have h ides/spaces that are barely big enough, the tightness makes them feel secure.
I would probably put her back In the smaller one for jow, amd try to find some more hides etc when you get back.

Your dna chamber cage sounds neat, I'd love to see some pictures!
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 12-16-13, 06:19 AM   #5
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Just add some weather striping to the front side of the dam.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, carpet python, problems, snake, snake behavior