border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-13, 05:36 AM   #16
smy_749

Re: Varanus melinus husbandry (help!)

Nice to see you again david, any updates or pics for us?
Old 06-20-13, 03:55 PM   #17
arnoldosu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocdoc View Post
I'd be willing to bet that if you told us you wanted to keep your monitor in a blue bucket with a flower pattern you'd be able to find a youtube video showing someone else keeping their monitor in a blue bucket with a flower pattern.
Point well taken crocdoc...I will go find a pretty bucket and keep a monitor in it!...haha no but that is why I wanted to discus these things with experienced keepers, so as to not just go by what supports my preconceived notions. It makes the most sense to emulate a monitor's natural habitat as closely as possible...anything else like you said could lead to health concerns and would be selfish on my part. So with that in mind I agree there is no reason to risk poor health or worse death.

Thank you for your input crocdoc, I've seen your name on other forums and such. It would appear you know what you are talking about.
Old 06-20-13, 11:40 PM   #18
crocdoc

Send a message via AIM to crocdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldosu1 View Post
Thank you for your input crocdoc
You're welcome. I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way. Have you considered any of the species from slightly drier areas, like gouldii or even panoptes (which, admittedly, are found both in dry and humid areas)? They are not only a bit more tolerant of dry conditions but are also less shy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy_749 View Post
Nice to see you again david, any updates or pics for us?
It's winter here, so not much happening with my monitors or the wild ones. This is the time of year I have a break from monitors.
Old 06-21-13, 12:15 PM   #19
arnoldosu1

Quote:
Have you considered any of the species from slightly drier areas, like gouldii or even panoptes (which, admittedly, are found both in dry and humid areas)? They are not only a bit more tolerant of dry conditions but are also less shy.
I do not know too much about either of those...but I will look into them more. I briefly looked at the varanus panopetes and they seem to be very bold in nature as you said. It also seems that they would do well free roaming part time if they do well in both humid and dry areas, so maybe that would be a good option!

So to answer your question; no I hadn't considered them before, so thanks for the tip! Any place with good info on them that you know of?
Old 06-21-13, 04:32 PM   #20
crocdoc

It depends on what sort of info you are after. There's a guy called Justin in Florida that breeds panoptes on a regular basis. Buying captive bred is always a better idea than wild caught.

They're really bold animals with one hell of a feeding response, so keep that in mind.

They also tripod, which is way cool.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-21-13, 10:04 PM   #21
arnoldosu1

Well I was thinking in terms of educational information...but that's definitely useful to know a breeder! I was planning to get a captive bred monitor for sure, I understand how big of a difference that makes, not to mention I'm not a fan of capturing animals from the wild any more than necessary. I appreciate it! When the time comes how could I get in touch with Justin? Does he have a website?

O and I've seen them tripoding, that is pretty cool!
Old 06-21-13, 10:19 PM   #22
crocdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldosu1 View Post
I was planning to get a captive bred monitor for sure
Oh, I thought you were originally planning to get melinus?

Send me a PM and I can send you Justin's email address, when the time is right. Don't panic if I don't respond right away, as I travel a lot.
Old 06-21-13, 10:30 PM   #23
arnoldosu1

Quote:
Oh, I thought you were originally planning to get melinus?
Ha well I was wanting to find a captive bred melinus. After looking I am now aware of how unlikely it would be to find one. They were only discovered in 97.

Anyways, thanks I will send you a PM when I am ready for one...need to sort some stuff out first!
Old 06-22-13, 01:35 AM   #24
crocdoc

I can't recall hearing of anyone that's bred them. Loads of babies that show up in the trade, probably through the wild collection of gravid females (which is even worse than buying a wild caught animal, for the prime reproductive females are removed from the population).
Old 06-22-13, 08:19 AM   #25
smy_749

David, Last time I talked to Justin he said he wasn't breeding any argus this year unfortunately.

" I have chosen to not incubate Argus eggs for some time although my pair still lays regularly. That's all I have going on right now. Thanks. -Justin"
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
babies, husbandry, respiratory infection, varanid, varanus