border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-20, 08:25 PM   #1
swawnsymbiote

Food for red tail boa

I recently bought a large(around 30) bag of mice for my red tail and fed her a few of them, but she just had a growth spurt and needs bigger food now. Is it okay to feed her two of the smaller ones I have now so I don't waste them?
Login to remove ads
Old 04-12-20, 09:22 AM   #2
thealien

Re: Food for red tail boa

Yes if she will take them.
Old 04-13-20, 12:24 PM   #3
bigsnakegirl785

I wouldn't personally, it isn't healthy. She'll be fine either eating the smaller prey for a bit longer, or I'd just go ahead and get the next size up. You could see if anyone local needs those mice, with the covid crisis, there may be some people in need of them.
Old 04-13-20, 10:37 PM   #4
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I feed all of my snakes 2 prey items on occasion. I wouldn't do it for every meal though.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 04-14-20, 11:09 AM   #5
thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
I wouldn't personally, it isn't healthy. She'll be fine either eating the smaller prey for a bit longer, or I'd just go ahead and get the next size up. You could see if anyone local needs those mice, with the covid crisis, there may be some people in need of them.
@bigsnakegirl785

Please elaborate on this? What is not healthy about it? I am not saying this is how someone should feed all the time but the original post asked if it would be OK until he is out of what he has. I am willing to learn, please explain what is not healthy about it?
Login to remove ads
Old 04-16-20, 12:45 PM   #6
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealien View Post
@bigsnakegirl785

Please elaborate on this? What is not healthy about it? I am not saying this is how someone should feed all the time but the original post asked if it would be OK until he is out of what he has. I am willing to learn, please explain what is not healthy about it?
2 mice have more fat, calories, protein, etc. than a single rat (or mouse) of the same weight. It's harder to digest, and I've seen keepers experience bloating when feeding multiples. Though to be fair, in those cases it may be because they didn't offer them close enough together? Overall, I avoid it. Multiple prey items have resulted in way faster growth and weight gain than a single large prey item ime, and it's already so easy to overfeed. It'd be one thing if it was a couple of meals, but OP is probably going to be feeding multiples for months before they run out.

Tags
boa, feeders, feeding, food, red tail boa