border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-19, 07:13 PM   #1
ReptileJedi

Thumbs up Corn Snake Enclosure help!!

Hello, I have a some questions about corn snakes. My younger brother has been wanting one for a very long time and he is saving up for everything he needs. Here is a list I have come up with of stuff he needs to get to ensure his new friend has a happy life. Any tips and pointers you can add would be nice. He plans on getting a juvenile 4-6 months old

And one major question I have is about UVB. I keep reading corn snakes don't need it. I thought they did. I have only onwed lizards and have always used UVB. Also if this helps my brother was looking at some red morphs and some have red eyes. I read that UVB can be harmful to snake with red eyes, as it can hurt their eyes. Any imput you can give me on uvb is much appreciated!

Here is what we have come up with so far:

• 20 Gallon tank 30x13x13 (LxWxD)
• Corner shaped water dish big enough for the snake to soak if he pleases
• Exo-terra 75W Intense Basking Spot
• We decided Bio-active is the best way to go. So we are using The Bio Dude Corn Snake Bio Active Kit. It comes with all the bio active substrate you need for a 20 gallon tank (incudes soil, moss, leaf litter), 3 cork bark flats, 8" LED (to help with plant growth), 2 4" tropical plants
• Springtails and Isopods for clean up crew.
• Eventhough The Bio Dudes kit comes with the cork bark we will be adding more hides and different logs and sticks as well to make it more natural and provide plent of spaces to hide.

Thank you for any advice you can give!!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-19-19, 08:29 PM   #2
ClockwerkBonnet

Re: Corn Snake Enclosure help!!

You don't necessarily have to give the snake UVB, but it does help strengthen their immune systems. Needless to say, it doesn't do much (if any) harm to the snake.

As far as I know, corn snakes are nocturnal, so they don't necessarily need basking spots. But do make sure you have a warm side of the cage with an undertank heater regulated by a thermostat.

I am sorry that I can't help you with everything listed. I'm still in the beginner stage myself and currently only have an 8-year old leopard gecko (I also used to have a gray-banded kingsnake, but he died 5-6 months ago). The best I can do is give you advice that I fully understand.
Old 08-20-19, 12:09 PM   #3
Herpin' Man

Here's my advice- ditch the aquarium and use a cage built for snakes.
I know, you've probably got a top that you were informed was "escape proof". However, snakes seem to find a way out of them, eventually. I have yet to see an aquarium cover that was truly escape proof.
I also think that heat tape, or a heat pad designed for reptile use, would be better than a basking spot.
Old 09-29-19, 09:53 AM   #4
Bonjers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin' Man View Post
Here's my advice- ditch the aquarium and use a cage built for snakes.
I know, you've probably got a top that you were informed was "escape proof". However, snakes seem to find a way out of them, eventually. I have yet to see an aquarium cover that was truly escape proof.
I also think that heat tape, or a heat pad designed for reptile use, would be better than a basking spot.
I couldn't agree more. I caught a juvenile corn snake in the wild June of 2018. Five days later, I came home from work and checked on my snake first thing and after going into a state of panic and five minutes later, I found it curled up in the overflow for the tub. I named him Houdini that day and he hasn't gotten loose since. I took an aquarium and laid it on its side and custom folding glass doors. I've done a lot of research and from what I can suggest you don't want to use a heat rock or basking spot. Heat rocks will most likely burn your snake because the heat is not evenly distributed throughout and snakes can not sense the difference. Really, depending on where you keep the terrarium and where you live determines if you need to heat it or not. I live in Pensacola, Florida.I have my terrarium outside on the covered back porch. When I use the heater, humidity stays at 70 and temp stays at 90. I also use led lamps which run about 12 hours and get very hot, adding additional heat. I don't need to run lights or lamps because its so and humid where I live, but I like to give my pet a balanced day and night cycle, as it helps to regulate his feeding cycle. I still consider myself a novice, but If you have any other questions I'll answer them to the best of my ability.
Old 10-04-19, 08:17 PM   #5
Bonjers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin' Man View Post
Be Careful! with heat pads though! I cracked the glass on the tank I'm using by attaching a heat pad to the pane. In my case, I believe it cracked because I'm using an 'aquarium' and not a 'terrarium' (which use different types of glass). Has anyone else had problems with heat pads breaking the glass???
Login to remove ads
Old 01-04-20, 10:35 AM   #6
alexejnra6518

Send a message via ICQ to alexejnra6518 Send a message via Yahoo to alexejnra6518 Send a message via Skype™ to alexejnra6518
Corn Snake Enclosure help

So I was thinking of starting a saltwater tank. I have a 40 gallon that I would convert to a SW. I want a FOWLR tank. I have a heater,hang on the back heater, a SW hoydrometerthingie that tests salinity. Can you guys give me pointers and costs and what else I need? Thanks
Closed Thread

Tags
corn snake, corn snake morph help, enclosure, lighting