border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-19, 01:47 AM   #1
Whyalwaysdamien

Exclamation A little concerned about my new bci

So I decided to make the jump from ball python to boa. Had my little lesser for 2 years now and he is basically a pet rock. He comes out when he is hungry and he throws a tantrum when there is poop in his nappy (hide). When i first got him he took a while to find his hides he only climbed the glass once and it took me 2 seconds to work put some idiot unplugged the heat mat for her hair dryer. Anyway I'm pretty good and spotting snakes issue is what I'm trying to say.

But my boa has me stumped I have no idea what is wrong with her.... well I have some theories hoping someone can help me. She is climbing the glass which I know is a sign of stress, but she climbs the glass and then sleeps there. Is she isn't doing that she is in her water bowl asleep. Or hiding behind her hide! Never in.

I can't post photos until my 5 post so we will have to work with what we have.

Option one) temperatures, she has a heat matt now this heat mat covers half the enclosure. The heat in her two hides is around 88 90. The rest if the mat is between 80 and 85 depending on substrate deaths.

Option two) humidity the humidity is 70

Option three) hides now I have gone through a series of hides trying to stop her from being stressed yes I see the hypocrisy. I had just the two with some clutter and a branch to climb. After reading it could be to much for a baby boa I went just to two hides. I then read it could be the hides being too big so I made some smaller ones out of boxes at had and stacked them around. 3 on each side.

Option 4) the tank is a 4 by 2 I have half of it sealed off so a 2 by 2 my python used to be in the tank ( before her) any chance she could be smelling where he was next door. But the thing is that is the area she is trying to get too.

Option 5) she has just come from a tub and isn't use to such a large area.

Option 6) i need to stop treating and worrying and leave her alone to settle. But this is day r now and the last think i want is for her to be tortured in something not right.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-13-19, 09:35 AM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: A little concerned about my new bci

Welcome and best wishes. I'm going with option 6 on your list . Your temps and humidity are good and you say she has plenty of hide options. From there I'd just give her time to acclimate. How long have you had her and has she eaten for you yet? She might be hungry.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 09-14-19, 02:20 AM   #3
Whyalwaysdamien

Day 7 today not tried to feed yet. She has calmed down from the climbing the front glass. She is regulating now but not using her hides at all. Instead she sits at the back of them against the walls, which is fine I guess.

When it gets a little later in the day she rest her head and bout 3 inch of he neck again the back wall kinda like my ball does outside of its hide when it is hunting. Just a little odd to see it against a vertical wall. She also managed to dangle from the top air vent which was a little odd but she didn't seem stressed or panicked just exploring ( slow tongue flicks and movements)
Old 09-14-19, 02:22 AM   #4
Whyalwaysdamien

Oh, and thankyou for your time.
Old 09-16-19, 12:48 PM   #5
Scubadiver59

If you have an Imgur (or the like) account, you can post the link to the picture and you don't have to wait to post an actual picture in your thread submission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyalwaysdamien View Post
So I decided to make the jump from ball python to boa. Had my little lesser for 2 years now and he is basically a pet rock. He comes out when he is hungry and he throws a tantrum when there is poop in his nappy (hide). When i first got him he took a while to find his hides he only climbed the glass once and it took me 2 seconds to work put some idiot unplugged the heat mat for her hair dryer. Anyway I'm pretty good and spotting snakes issue is what I'm trying to say.

But my boa has me stumped I have no idea what is wrong with her.... well I have some theories hoping someone can help me. She is climbing the glass which I know is a sign of stress, but she climbs the glass and then sleeps there. Is she isn't doing that she is in her water bowl asleep. Or hiding behind her hide! Never in.

I can't post photos until my 5 post so we will have to work with what we have.

Option one) temperatures, she has a heat matt now this heat mat covers half the enclosure. The heat in her two hides is around 88 90. The rest if the mat is between 80 and 85 depending on substrate deaths.

Option two) humidity the humidity is 70

Option three) hides now I have gone through a series of hides trying to stop her from being stressed yes I see the hypocrisy. I had just the two with some clutter and a branch to climb. After reading it could be to much for a baby boa I went just to two hides. I then read it could be the hides being too big so I made some smaller ones out of boxes at had and stacked them around. 3 on each side.

Option 4) the tank is a 4 by 2 I have half of it sealed off so a 2 by 2 my python used to be in the tank ( before her) any chance she could be smelling where he was next door. But the thing is that is the area she is trying to get too.

Option 5) she has just come from a tub and isn't use to such a large area.

Option 6) i need to stop treating and worrying and leave her alone to settle. But this is day r now and the last think i want is for her to be tortured in something not right.
Old 09-30-19, 02:07 AM   #6
richardhind

HI
and welcome to the forum
you dont say how your male boa is?
most of my boas dont use there hides so i wouldn't worry too much, mine only tend to use them around shed time.they can be very different from a royal python in that respect
the reason i ask about the age of your boa is its breeding season and most of my males are stuck on the glass pretty much 24/7 sniffing for the females that are in there, i know you only have a royal python
but could be that
cheers Rich
0.1 Common het Kahl BCI,,0.1 red pastel hypo het albino bci,0.1 kahl sunglow bci, 1.1 boa longicauda het "Zero",1.0 motley het kahl bci,0.1hypo img,1.0 hypo harlequin het vpi t+, 1.2 hypo 100%het albino and 100% het berry blood, 1.0 guyana bcc,1.0 hypo jungle het blood&het albino,1.0 albino motley0.1 sunglow motley,1.1 mandarinbelly leopard
Old 10-01-19, 12:07 AM   #7
Whyalwaysdamien

The boa ate twice and shed then ate again. Sorry I didn't come back for an update. So it was me who was the issue, which I knee all along. But the last thing I want is to be hurting me little pet so I was checking out of concern.

Funny you should say that about your royal, my male is roaming his vivarium like a dog who has lost his ball. Only think I can put it down to is the time of year being breeding season.

Do you have any female royals? Because i don't and was wondering of he should still be doing this even if he can't smell them.
Old 10-02-19, 01:42 AM   #8
richardhind

Quote:
The boa ate twice and shed then ate again. Sorry I didn't come back for an update. So it was me who was the issue, which I knee all along. But the last thing I want is to be hurting me little pet so I was checking out of concern.

Funny you should say that about your royal, my male is roaming his vivarium like a dog who has lost his ball. Only think I can put it down to is the time of year being breeding season.

Do you have any female royals? Because i don't and was wondering of he should still be doing this even if he can't smell them.
no i dont own any royals just boas
im sure its there own internal body clock telling them its breeding season
especially now the nights are drawing in
0.1 Common het Kahl BCI,,0.1 red pastel hypo het albino bci,0.1 kahl sunglow bci, 1.1 boa longicauda het "Zero",1.0 motley het kahl bci,0.1hypo img,1.0 hypo harlequin het vpi t+, 1.2 hypo 100%het albino and 100% het berry blood, 1.0 guyana bcc,1.0 hypo jungle het blood&het albino,1.0 albino motley0.1 sunglow motley,1.1 mandarinbelly leopard
Old 10-08-19, 01:15 PM   #9
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:

Female around or not then they will do this routine during breeding season. They are antsy to go looking for a female.
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, boa babies boa help