border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-18, 01:35 AM   #1
JOSEPH02

Bearded Dragon or Leopard Gecko?

I have recently decided I wanted to start breeding lizards but am having trouble deciding between bearded dragons or leopard geckos. I do plan on selling the babies but profit is not a priority, however I do wish to at least stay in or around the green and not go too far into the red. That being said which species would be worth breeding starting off? Which one has the better market? I have a lot of experience owning exotics (mainly reptiles) and have the funds to start breeding. I am just having trouble getting started.
Thanks
Login to remove ads
Old 10-28-18, 07:54 AM   #2
DJC Reptiles

Re: Bearded Dragon or Leopard Gecko?

Personally, I would like to see more bearded dragon breeders, the problem is both bearded dragons, and leopard geckos are bred to the point where there are too much of them. While I love both bearded dragons and leopard geckos, I would love to see some more of the exotic lizards that are starting to pop up a bit more, like ackie monitors, fire skinks, blue tongue skinks. Either way your going to run into a similar problem with whatever you choose, finding people to actually take the babies off your hands. No matter how cute they are, it’s impossible to take care of so many; especially with very expensive supplies, that seems to cost more every hour that goes by.
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Old 10-28-18, 03:21 PM   #3
Neon Aurora

I agree on the leopard gecko side, they are overproduced. Can't speak for beardies. I'm speaking as someone who produced a handful of leopard geckos of marketable morphs and having a hard time finding (good) people who want them, even for far less money than what some of the bigger breeders sell them for. Something to keep in mind with the really popular lizards such as these.

It's fun to work with all of the different morphs, but if I were to breed anything again (which I don't plan to for a long time) it would be something less popular.
Old 10-28-18, 06:30 PM   #4
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEPH02 View Post
I have recently decided I wanted to start breeding lizards but am having trouble deciding between bearded dragons or leopard geckos. I do plan on selling the babies but profit is not a priority, however I do wish to at least stay in or around the green and not go too far into the red. That being said which species would be worth breeding starting off? Which one has the better market? I have a lot of experience owning exotics (mainly reptiles) and have the funds to start breeding. I am just having trouble getting started.
Thanks

Which are YOU more passionate about working with?
YOU will be the one working with them, so pick which one feeds your fire.
Old 10-29-18, 10:04 AM   #5
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

There are already a ton of breeders of both of these species, so consider what you want to work with, and also consider whether there's something that can differentiate what you are doing from what someone else is. If not, you may be stuck with a bunch of offspring. I know that a few beardie morphs do suffer from inbreeding depression but am unaware of the specifics since I have no desire to work with the species. Best of luck in whatever you may decide.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
bearded dragon, breeder, breeding, dragon, leopard gecko