border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-18, 07:26 AM   #1
AwakeSnake

Question Help! What tank is best for a Corn Snake?

Not sure if this is the place to ask, however, I need some advice.
I really want a corn snake and have done LOTS of research so I know how to set up a viv and what temp to keep them at etc. etc. though I haven't been able to find anything on what the best type of vivariums are. Even though they are very cheap I don't want a plastic tub as I don't think it would be good for the snake, I would also be paranoid about it melting the plastic even though I'm sure that wouldn't happen. Would a fish tank be best or get a proper viv? I want something simple and I'm quite hesitant to go for a normal vivarium with wooden on the base as I've heard you need allsorts of seemingly complicated stuff like thermal blocks so it doesn't set alight. Also I feel like a glass one would be slightly raised so the heat mat wouldn't be touching the surface that your tank is on. Also what size? Is 4ft big enough for an adult or does it need bigger? If I got a fish tank I know the min size is 20 gallons for an adult corn but would it better to go for a 30 gallon? Lastly would it be better to have something higher and narrow,(I know corns like to climb) or long and low (but still with branches and places it can climb and wrap itself around). I just want something reasonably cheap, uncomplicated and what's best for the snake. Please could I have some advice on what you think is best!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-06-18, 04:00 PM   #2
TRD

Re: Help! What tank is best for a Corn Snake?

I would say a 4x2x18-24" (LxWxH) is big enough for most adult corns.. though some can grow past 5ft and may like something bigger.

I like glass too, though I don't like heat mats at all and would prefer a heat lamp (natural coloring, so not red or blue).
Old 03-06-18, 04:03 PM   #3
Bel5191

If you have access to PVC or similar caging and RHP (radiant heat panel) for heat it’s the safest and easiest to maintain an environment in my opinion
Old 03-07-18, 07:12 AM   #4
IDvsEGO

well, colubrids (king/corn/milk/etc) are usually pretty good at getting out so if you want simple then get one of the purpose built tanks with locking doors. Aquariums are cheap but the screen lids can be tricky to get clipped tightly. It isnt too tough but you do have to take care to get it right. We use fish aquariums for all of ours but I am about to start building new enclosures with better dimensions and closing mechanism.

I probably tend to go bigger than a lot of people but I would want bigger than 20 for a full grown corn. My son's 1 year old milk is in a 20 and it barely has room to stretch out. I am building 48x24x18 enclosures for all of the colubrids. That is bigger than a 40 gallon for reference. Might be overkill but the milk uses all of its 20 gallon and isnt full grown so I dont think more space will hurt. If you are getting fish tanks, pay the most attention to the length and width. A 55 gallon normal tank doesnt give a snake much mroe room than a 40 gallon breeder tank because a lot of the volume comes from extra height that the snake wont use.
Old 03-07-18, 08:56 AM   #5
craigafrechette

A 40 gallon breeder tank with a secure locking lid for the an adult is big enough, but juveniles start better in smaller enclosures.

I've kept adult corns as well as adult Kings in 40 breeders for years. They have all done well. That being said, I recently moved my adult King to a custom 4x2x2 enclosure and he uses every inch.

With colubrids I like to start them in something small, like a 10 gallon. Once they outgrow that, I have always gone to the 40, but since seeing Django in his 4x2x2 I say go bihger if you have the space.

Colubrids also do fine in glass because they don't have high temp or humidity requirements.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-07-18, 10:17 AM   #6
IDvsEGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
A 40 gallon breeder tank with a secure locking lid for the an adult is big enough, but juveniles start better in smaller enclosures.

I've kept adult corns as well as adult Kings in 40 breeders for years. They have all done well. That being said, I recently moved my adult King to a custom 4x2x2 enclosure and he uses every inch.
thats how it seems for my oldest. He would be fine in a 40 but if I can afford extra space I think he will use it.

[QUOTE=craigafrechette;1034932]
With colubrids I like to start them in something small, like a 10 gallon.[quote]
I keep my young ones in a tub that has the same approximate floor dimensions of a 20 gallon and they seem pretty well in it.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, corn snake, tank, vivarium