border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Corallus Family

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-22, 06:47 PM   #1
BoaGuy66

My Amazon tree boa will not eat .....

I have a sub-adult Amazon Tree Boa ....this snake is very difficult to get to eat. I try and try and try, and this animal will not take the pinkie. She is losing weight, I know if she does not begin eating, she is going to die and I don't know what to do. I offer her F/T pinkies and it normally takes a good 10-minutes to get her to take the pinkie - but tonight, she wouldn't take it at all. Is there any other way I can get this snake to eat ? Thanks for all of your help.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-24-22, 01:56 PM   #2
chairman

Re: My Amazon tree boa will not eat .....

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Couple thoughts on your problem.

First, double check temperature and humidity. The snake might not have a hot enough basking spot, or the ambient is too hot and the snake is stressed.

Is a pinky large enough for a sub-adult? I thought ATB would be taking large mice if not small rats. It could be that increasing to a prey with more hair could induce feeding.

Another idea would be thawing the mouse in chicken broth to scent it a little stronger.

You could also try feeding at night, preferably when the snake is perched in a hunting pose. Possibly even with the cage covered with a blanket or towel for extra privacy.

Another strategy involves placing the snake and mouse in a small, opaque feeding tub inside the original cage and leaving them overnight. You might have to get creative with that since ATBs usually eat from a perch- maybe move the snake's perch to the tub, or find a way to place the tub around the perched snake?
Old 12-27-22, 04:25 AM   #3
BoaGuy66

I tried again last night. this ATB would not take the pinky. I will try again this evening, mahybe dip the pinky in chicken broth.
The ambient temp in the enclosure is about 82.
This ATB stays on the ground - don't know why - she has vines and branches in the enclosure, so I'm not sure why this animal chooses to remain on the ground. Looking at her, I sincerely doubt she would be able to take and swallow a mouse. Her neck is thinner than a pencil, I don't really know how on earth she would be able to swallow a prey item that size.
At this point, I'm just not sure what to do, or what more I can provide her or her enclosure to make her eat. Because I was concerned for her health, I took her to the Vet - he gave her an injection of B-complex Vitamins and asked me to get a stool sample to test for parasites.
Old 12-29-22, 10:00 AM   #4
chairman

My carpet pythons prefer branches that are at least as thick as they are for perching. Otherwise they'll just hang out on top of other objects like cork flats or the top edge of their water bowls.

Your snake may also want a more secure feeling perch. You could try to make sure that some vines are hanging down over a branch, or maybe use something like a finch nest? They appear to make some small bird nests out of coconut shells, they might be easy enough to get a snake out of.

Is the humidity in the tank where it needs to be? Fall/winter can be a drying time.

You'd be surprised how large of a prey item the snake can actually eat. The size of the prey is determined by the thickest part of their body, not their neck. I completely understand what you're saying about the neck size, though, because it doesn't seem like it should stretch as much as it does. They do sell extra small fuzzies that aren't much larger than pinkies. And just a little bit of hair can increase the scent and induce feeding.
Old 12-30-22, 04:47 AM   #5
BoaGuy66

I've tried twice to feed this ATB a Hopper. She refused both times.
She stays on the bottom of the enclosure. Her enclosure is all glass - each side is an individual panel - if you put pressure on them they will fall out and the enclosure will collapse, so I am not able to get any type of branches that will put pressure on the glass. There is no UTH for this enclosure. Only a blue daylight heat bulb at the top of the enclosure.

If this animal does not eat, she's going to die. She's never pooped because she has not eaten enough to make poop. Temp at bottom of enclosure is about 67-72. Temp at top near daylight bulb is 83. Humidity is at least 68-70%.

So, is her entire enclosure the wrong type of enclosure? Does she need branches higher up close to heat source? I've offered her WARM Prey items at night. She won't eat. I can't imagine she would be able to handle a full-sized mouse. She'd never be able to swallow it. So I offer her Hoppers, but she still won't eat them.

I'm at a total loss her and just really don't know what to do for this animal....
Login to remove ads
Old 12-31-22, 09:18 AM   #6
BoaGuy66

Thank You, Chairman, for responding to my post.
To be honest, I'm rather surprised....ok, Shocked, that you were the only member of this forum to reply to my posting.
When I joined sSnakess I really thought I would find a large community of members who would be able to help and assist me as a relatively new hobbyist in the reptile/snake community.
But after seeing that No one (except you, Chairman) bothered to even respond to my post, and after seeing the NUMBER OF VIEWS my post had, I think this is definitely not the Forum I wish to be part of.

Thank you again, Chairman, for your kindness and generosity in responding to my Post. All the very best to you ....

Regards,
Patrick Bowen
"BoaGuy66"
Old 03-19-23, 01:04 PM   #7
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoaGuy66 View Post
Thank You, Chairman, for responding to my post.
To be honest, I'm rather surprised....ok, Shocked, that you were the only member of this forum to reply to my posting.
When I joined sSnakess I really thought I would find a large community of members who would be able to help and assist me as a relatively new hobbyist in the reptile/snake community.
But after seeing that No one (except you, Chairman) bothered to even respond to my post, and after seeing the NUMBER OF VIEWS my post had, I think this is definitely not the Forum I wish to be part of.

Thank you again, Chairman, for your kindness and generosity in responding to my Post. All the very best to you ....

Regards,
Patrick Bowen
"BoaGuy66"
Not everyone who may be viewing these threads has any experience. Forums are relatively quiet but all the best to you.

As for your snake if you read this, if you haven't tried live then you should.

Also, ATB's are not arboreal snakes like emeralds and green tree pythons. They are semi arboreal and spend a great deal of time grounded so your snake spending it's time on the ground isn't out of the ordinary. Additionally, I would also double check that the snake feels secure higher up. As in strong branches/plants as well as feeling hidden.
Closed Thread