border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-18, 08:57 PM   #1
pixelsnake

Question Very defensive kingsnake is suddenly calm?? Is there something wrong with her??

Am I worrying for no reason?? For the 2 months I've had my baby ca king, I've made no progress taming her down. She strikes and rattles her tail, and will do everything she can possibly do to not get picked up until today. Today, she let me just scoop her up with no problem, and i handled her for five minutes with no signs of discomfort whatsoever. I was shocked at the sudden temperament change. Is this just a strange occurrence, or could there be other problems? Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 02-12-18, 12:59 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Very defensive kingsnake is suddenly calm?? Is there something wrong with her??

Perhaps she's finally acclimated to her new home. At some point they just realize you're not going t eat them .
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 02-13-18, 05:55 AM   #3
craigafrechette

Re: Very defensive kingsnake is suddenly calm?? Is there something wrong with her??

It sounds to me like your King is starting to acclimate to being handled. Like Ziggy said, sometimes they turn a corner and just know.
That being said, keep doing what you're doing. Keep handling sessions short and sweet. Also, don't be surprised to see more of the tail rattling and defensive behavior and don't let it discourage you.
Kings are fantastic snakes to keep and almost always calm down with age and size. My adult Cal King is sweet as can be, but still sometimes has his moods. He'll rattle and tense up when he doesn't want to be bothered, and I usually just leave him alone when he's like that. The times I do end up grabbing him despite his warnings he's tough to get out of his enclosure, but once out he's usually fine. He's also a jerk when in shed, but who can blame him then?
Old 02-13-18, 07:02 AM   #4
IDvsEGO

One of my kings had a moment like this. It has been tail rattling and musking since I received it. Yesterday it was trying to race out of my hands and I was going hand over hand. I made a little cup and it froze. Just sat there for 3-5 minutes being super chill. I go to put it back in its enclosure and it starts a little tail shake again and scoots around the tub. I figure I am making progress but it isnt totally comfortable yet. This snake isnt a problem or anything but it does show me just how lucky we have been with all of our others. This is our 5th baby and the only one that has shown any real stress. Its eating weekly though so I am OK with it. It will get there.
Closed Thread

Tags
aggresive, baby snake, california king, kingsnake