border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-16, 06:40 PM   #1
i3ora

Exclamation New Snake Owner Needs HELP!

I am a new snake owner living in a herp veterinarian deficient area in desperate need of help.
I recently bought a new 1 1/2 year old California Kingsnake from PetSmart who was seemingly healthy at the time I bought him. I received a feeding schedule showing that two weeks before I bought him he had graduated from 3x pinkies to 1x fuzzy every Wednesday. He was usually a very good eater. However, he had not eaten the week before I bought him (probably in preparation of shed). His shed was perfect, no tears and the eyecaps came off nicely. I kept his cage humid. Right now his cage has a gradation, the warm side being 85-90F and the cooler side being 65-70F. The natural lighting of my house is a little darker than what he is used to. Regardless, he is very active and explores his cage and several hides regularly and seems healthy otherwise.

The only issue is that he refuses to eat. He has been on frozen mice his entire life. I even offered the same brand he is used to. Whenever I put him in his feeding container, he shows absolute disinterest in the mouse. The first time I offered a fuzzy (the Wednesday after I bought him), he bit into it, let go and never showed additional interest in any other mice I offered. Every Wednesday I continue offering mice and having to toss them. It has been over a month. I suspect brumation and feel possible weight loss. What should I do?
Login to remove ads
Old 02-19-16, 12:11 PM   #2
reptiledude987

Re: New Snake Owner Needs HELP!

Just stop feeding in a tub. simply offer the food in the enclosure without removing him.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 02-19-16, 12:40 PM   #3
Albert Clark

Yep! Just what reptile dude said and also any new snake needs a acclimating period to a new enviornment and also needs to be quarantined. The acclimating period should be about 1 week to about 10 days. A quarantine period can last between 30 days minimum to 90 days. Quarantine period is the time frame used to monitor the animal for any illnesses or abnormal behavior , injuries and such. Also when you feed frozen thawed foods make sure the rodent is thawed and warmed thoroughly.
Old 02-19-16, 09:58 PM   #4
Derek1

I feed my Cal King in the enclosure and can handle her anytime I want. She likes them wet (thawed in hot water and not in a ziplock)
Old 02-19-16, 10:30 PM   #5
macandchz

13ora, i know this sounds gross but try getting a large needle and poking the fuzzy in the brain area. some snakes pick up on the scent right away and are more willing to eat.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-19-16, 11:24 PM   #6
Lefitte

Yeah I would definitely feed in the cage. After seeing the way my king strikes and tracks after eating even large meals, I cant imagine trying to handle her around feeding time. She'a also a big baby about things. She ate well for me but when winter hits she immediately starts throwing fits. She also refused to eat if its not hot and moving but if it wiggles too much then she wont touch it. And if I drop it I ruin the whole game. Keep trying, try to play on your snake's instincts and listen to it. Maybe it wants a moving prey item, maybe it wants a still one. You can also try going back down a size until it starts eating again.

Tags
california, feeding, kingsnake