sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-19, 10:13 AM   #1
TxYogaUnicorn

Question Humidity Tweaking

Good Morning,

Ok, so I finally got my humidity right in the tank for my Brazilian Rainbow Boa hatchling. So happy, BUT now I'm noticing that the substrate stays very very wet. That makes sense obviously, but there are some areas of substrate where it is WET y'all. REAL wet. Am I leaving my fogger on too long? Am I needing to turn my lamp back on? Should I not even worry because it's basically a Thai rainforest in her tank? I'm finally hitting that 80% - 90% humidity in there, but that possibility of TOO wet is worrying me.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-22-19, 10:42 AM   #2
craigafrechette

Re: Humidity Tweaking

You definitely don't want wet substrate. Wet substrate becomes a breeding ground for bacteria which can lead to scale rot or respiratory infection.
Old 07-22-19, 11:11 AM   #3
TxYogaUnicorn

Arrow Re: Humidity Tweaking

Ooooook. THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT!!! What would you recommend? I have plenty of substrate that's brand new. Should I just change it out and start over with it?
Old 07-22-19, 12:06 PM   #4
craigafrechette

I don't keep BRBs or any species that requires the high humidity they do. But one thing I do to increase humidity is add a second, or third water bowl in my enclosures.

I've never used a mister, but depending where you live you may need to, I'm really not sure. I just know I hate having to mist my enclosures, so I've tweaked things to improve humidity without wetting the substrate.

This is why it's so important to have the enclosure up and running and have temps and humidity dialed in BEFORE bringing an animal home. It saves a LOT of stress on the keeper, and more importantly, the animal.

But, we live and learn. Just do your best to get your situation settled and your snake will be fine.

There are plenty of other tricks to increase humidity. You just need to do some research and find what works for you and your animal.
Old 07-22-19, 12:22 PM   #5
TxYogaUnicorn

I already have a very large water source in her enclosure and had everything right before I put her in. The hardest element to get right for me has been the humidity. I've misted and sprayed, along with that large water source and couldn't get it anywhere near 80%. The fogger was a last resort for me honestly. I'll do a little more research and see what I can come up with. Thank you so much for your help
Login to remove ads
Old 07-22-19, 12:53 PM   #6
craigafrechette

Ok, what substrate are you using?
And even with one large water dish can you add another?
What type enclosure is the snake in? What size?
How are you heating the enclosure?

I'll likely be able to give you a few more tips once I know your setup.

I'm having the opposite problem where I live right now. I've had to make changes to lower humidity in most of my enclosures.

Like I said, I've never used a fogger, but I'm thinking with some tweaks you won't need to either.
Old 07-22-19, 02:31 PM   #7
TxYogaUnicorn

**UPDATE** My husband helped me dump out about 98% of the real wet substrate. My girl is still in there and still fat after 4 days post feed, so we didn't want to move her. He also noticed that the drainage drip from my fogger was dripping directly onto my substrate, hence the soak. We rerouted it so that the drip now happens over the water source.

My setup is a 29 Gal tank with a cage/mesh top. The Large water source is on the left and it is actually a corner litter pan for a guinea pig. So it is BIG. I have a nice large flat aquarium rock in there to prevent downing. That's the left. The right side has a under tank heated mat attached to a setable thermostat. BRB temps range from 75 deg - 84 deg. I stay middle of the road at 80 deg. Humid hide is on this side as well. One of those rock hides for a gecko. I use Eco Earth loose coconut substrate because of the need for such high humidity. I also have ample amounts of the zoo med terrarium moss around the water source, the giant buddha head sculpture with holes, and surrounding the base of an aquarium wood looking tree log. I even have a teenie bit of sphagnum moss mixed in with the zoo med terrarium moss that I actually resoak every mmmm 4 days or so.
Old 07-22-19, 03:34 PM   #9
craigafrechette

Ok, here's what I would do if it were me. But if course, there's more than one way to do things, so it's really up to you.

A) I'd ditch the fogger

B) I'd cover the screen lid using Plexi glass or foam board insulation. This will help with both heat and humidity control.

C) I'd add another water bowl or two. This will boost humidity while keeping the water contained. I know it sounds like overkill, but I've been doing it for years with all my snakes that have humidity requirements.

I would try that out and see what happens. Although now that the drip is falling into the water bowl the water would be contained, so maybe you'll be all set. I just think swapping out water bowls is easier and less messy than a drip system might be. You may actually find that a combination of water bowls and the dripper is what works best.
Because we don't all live in the same climate it's impossible to have a "one size fits all" answer. Some trial and error will be required, but you'll get there. Heck, you might already be there since moving the dripper.

Just a few other things I noticed in the pics that I feel are important enough to share...

I would DEFINITELY move the enclosure away from the window. Windows can have a greenhouse effect that can cause dangerous heat spikes. I've read of many cases of snakes being "cooked" because the enclosure was in front of a window.

Be careful of what decorations you use. Avoid aquarium decor or anything hollow. I've seen and read of some horror stories where snakes got stuck inside those decorations.

I'm not sure what type of adhesive is on the sticker on the water dish, but I'd remove it asap. Any and all tape, stickers, etc...should never be inside a reptile enclosure. The glue will slowly break down due to the heat and humidity. So the animals find their way behind the tape and get stuck. I've read some unfortunate stories of very serious scale damage caused by tape as well as one story that was fatal. Apparently the snake was stuck on the tape and thrashed to get free and broke it's spine.

I'm not trying to scare you with these other changes, just trying to help you avoid learning the hard way.

Anyway, it seems like you're doing a great job tweaking things. Keep up the good work. I hope I helped. Ask all the questions you may have, we're happy to help. We were all new once, so don't feel like any questions are silly either. Asking shows you care.

Good luck and please keep us posted!
Old 07-22-19, 04:38 PM   #10
TxYogaUnicorn

1) Thank you for being incredibly nice lol.
2) I truly appreciate all of your insight. I AM still new to this, and while researching is researching, Real life is Real life.
3) I completely agree about different climates nationwide/worldwide being a factor to consider lol. We're in NC now but it will be different back in TX.
4) Going to remove the label as soon as I finish this reply post!
5) Normally, I'd pull the buddha head out after what you mentioned about the hollow, but she really enjoys curling up inside the base and slithering out the back of the head lol. When she's a little bit bigger, I'll happily suck it up and remove it....so sad lol, but better for her.
6) Ironically hubs and I were talking about plexi glass. Might switch to that as well. Going to see how shifting the fogger works for a little while and then yes, I may have to SOMEHOW add more water sources lol.
7) I'll try to find somewhere that's not by a window for her. (Thinking right now as I'm writing) Might take me about 24 hours to relocate her, but I'll figure it out.

Thank you for not laughing or poking fun at my yes, seemingly ridiculous questions, OR for wanting my snake to have a pretty ambiance as well lol. I really appreciate it. I didn't think that I would be posting a thread in this forum so quickly, but I'm truly glad that I did.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-22-19, 05:26 PM   #11
Veronica

Somewhat off-topic, but what a great idea using a litterbox as a water dish!
Old 07-22-19, 06:13 PM   #12
TxYogaUnicorn

Hahahahaha I thought it was a GREAT use of corner space, BIG, and CHEAP lol. Military families know how to make anything fit anywhere lol.
Old 07-23-19, 08:38 AM   #13
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxYogaUnicorn View Post
1) Thank you for being incredibly nice lol.
2) I truly appreciate all of your insight. I AM still new to this, and while researching is researching, Real life is Real life.
3) I completely agree about different climates nationwide/worldwide being a factor to consider lol. We're in NC now but it will be different back in TX.
4) Going to remove the label as soon as I finish this reply post!
5) Normally, I'd pull the buddha head out after what you mentioned about the hollow, but she really enjoys curling up inside the base and slithering out the back of the head lol. When she's a little bit bigger, I'll happily suck it up and remove it....so sad lol, but better for her.
6) Ironically hubs and I were talking about plexi glass. Might switch to that as well. Going to see how shifting the fogger works for a little while and then yes, I may have to SOMEHOW add more water sources lol.
7) I'll try to find somewhere that's not by a window for her. (Thinking right now as I'm writing) Might take me about 24 hours to relocate her, but I'll figure it out.

Thank you for not laughing or poking fun at my yes, seemingly ridiculous questions, OR for wanting my snake to have a pretty ambiance as well lol. I really appreciate it. I didn't think that I would be posting a thread in this forum so quickly, but I'm truly glad that I did.

You're very welcome. I'm happy to help people enjoy their pets. I'm passionate about these animals and will happily do what I can to help others love them as well.

I actually have a Buddha in each of my snake's enclosures too. I've just had to be careful which ones I out in. I've found good luck with garden decor Buddhas.

And this is something to consider long term, but completely up to you. I'm just tossing it out there...
You may find that with a species like a BRB that requires higher humidity that a PVC or plastic display enclosure might be worth the investment. Adding a RHP (Radiant Heat Panel) would make heating and humidity control a breeze.
The initial investment won't be cheap, but may be worth it long run. I recently added 2 after using glass for almost 20 years. I still use glass, and for many species glass works great. But the PVC enclosures that are designed specifically for snakes are honestly worth every penny.

Again, just something to think about.

Keep up the great work!!
Old 07-23-19, 10:10 AM   #14
TxYogaUnicorn

I'm going to have to research the pvc tank idea. I've never seen those and they sound intriguing. That's really cool that you have Buddhas as well and understand my ambiance lol. I'm definitely going to do some more research today on those types of tanks.

By the way! ***Update*** So far humidity and heat are holding well with the new substrate, and relocating the drip from the fogger has eliminated the soaked substrate. We moved the tank to another room where it's on a table away from any windows, too. So I'll see what happens over the next few days.

From what I've read amd seen about BRB they only require such high humidity levels while they're a hatchling. So hopefully in a few months I can let those levels drop some. My friend in Massachusetts has a fish tank and my learning about the snake take amuses her hahahaha.
Old 07-23-19, 11:15 AM   #15
craigafrechette

That's awesome that humidity seems to be in control! Nice job!!

I do know that neonate (not to nitpick, but boas give live birth rather than eggs, so they're not technically hatchlings) require the higher humidity that you're striving for and that the humidity requirements do decrease, but I'm not too sure on specifics.
So you're right about that. I'm also not sure at what age their requirements change.

The PVC enclosures are fantastic. You can check out
Animal Plastics, Reptile Basics and Boaphile for some options and ideas. Neodeshas are harder to find but I have one I love.
You can also scour Craigslist and FB if you have it. Used PVC enclosures seem to sell quickly though. But since you have plenty of time while your snake grows you've got plenty of time to find what works best for you.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
brazilian rainbow boa, concern, humidity, moisture, overly wet