border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-15, 08:11 PM   #1
MDT

Well folks...it looks like tomorrow is the day...

Looks like FWS will be announcing their decision tomorrow regarding large constrictors to add to the Lacey Act (Boa constrictors, Retics, and Anacondas)...this is going to be a huge blow to the hobby.

Hope for the best, but I fear the worst decision, based on bias and fueled by hysteria. This is definitely not an issue north of Florida, but the whole US will be affected. The wing-nuts at FWS won't address the fact that feral cats do more damage to native wildlife than do non-native species, but hey, why let logic get in the way.

Hopefully USARK has a hail-Mary?
Login to remove ads
Old 03-05-15, 08:18 PM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Well folks...it looks like tomorrow is the day...

=/

Not cool....fingers crossed...

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 03-05-15, 10:58 PM   #3
dave himself

I really hope this turns out well for you guys across the pond
Old 03-05-15, 11:52 PM   #4
PsychoSnake

kingsnake blog Kingsnake.com Blog - Report: USFWS to add boas, reticulated pythons, anacondas to invasive list

Doesn't look good at all.
Old 03-06-15, 12:59 AM   #5
toddnbecka

Hey now, I'm all for adding more snakes to the invasive list. You should see all the non-native dog/cat/small child eaters frozen in my back yard now. Come the spring thaw I'll be up to my eyeballs in deadly monsters the neighbors turned loose. Backfired on one house though, the snakes ate their owners and took it over for a breeding den. And then
...oops gotta go, the mothership is here for me now...
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-06-15, 01:10 AM   #6
Shann

I feel sick. I graduate this semester, and there is no future for my intended career in my current state. I love my boa like most people love a dog. I can't even begin to think of what this will mean.
Old 03-06-15, 02:26 AM   #7
Little Wise Owl

Wow... The Boa Contrictor? Really? Unreal.
Old 03-06-15, 09:11 AM   #8
bigsnakegirl785

This is terrible news. It seems the only laws and regulations that can be passed are on the American people. Organizations get free reign. It was bad news as soon as the Constrictor Rule was passed, allowing them to forego Congress. I'm really hoping for good news in a few hours, but I'm doubtful.

Not to mention at least boa constrictors and retics have been proven to be non-invasive.
Old 03-06-15, 12:36 PM   #9
Ballchris

Dan Ashe just announced that Reticulated pythons and three anacondas will be listed as injurious under the Lacey Act. This is unacceptable and extreme overreach by FWS. USARK will release an email newsletter with our future actions ASAP. This is a rule finalization, according to Ashe.

There it is folks, a huge blow to our beloved hobby, while boa's are right now off the list how long before they attack them or ball python, or carpet pythons again this isnt right I say we protest something we need to do something my heart has never been more broken sad dark day as a reptile lover.
Male het caramel retic - Lord Voldemort
Old 03-06-15, 12:48 PM   #10
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

This law will just mean alot more people will be breaking the law. I don't see people following it just like horses should be vaccinated before crossing state lines but usually aren't. And some people who own animals aren't ones to watch the laws too closely so will probably do it out of just not knowing about it. =/

Sadness....true sadness.....

I stopped counting at 30....
Login to remove ads
Old 03-06-15, 08:00 PM   #11
reptiledude987

So with this law does it grandfather in people who already have animals falling under the restriction? I imagine breeders of them would be impacted far more than the average person who keeps them as a pet. Is this impacting all states? If so I'd be curious to see how many are still for sale at upcoming expos.
Old 03-06-15, 08:27 PM   #12
Sublimeballs

Let me clear some stuff up for everyone. The ban is only on interstate trade. We can all still keep our animals but if you move to a different state with your pet you've commited a felony. If you're a breeder and sell to someone out of state you e commited a felony. So for those of us that have been breeding Retics or have been building a collection to breed you can only sell them in your state. There has already been several people completley doing their whole collections, the Reticulated python world is about to change in a huge way. I know of a few big breeders that no longer have a means of income.

Now... Usark is in the process of suing the federal government over the original listing of the Burms, rocks, and yellows(and now the other Annies and Retics). We have facts and science on our side.... But that might not mean much of anything. The government has shown they will do as they please and make up whatever "facts" are needed to complete their agenda.

Don't kid yourselves any of you... They are out to end our hobby. This isn't going to end at giants! This will spread further and further into the reptile comunity until they destroy us. HSUS and USFWS are out to end the reptile industry. If you care about the animals you keep now is the time to fight for your rights.
Old 03-06-15, 10:11 PM   #13
Derek1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeballs View Post
Don't kid yourselves any of you... They are out to end our hobby. This isn't going to end at giants! This will spread further and further into the reptile comunity until they destroy us. HSUS and USFWS are out to end the reptile industry. If you care about the animals you keep now is the time to fight for your rights.

This^ A strong lobby will be needed. Which I doubt the pro reptile industry has, but the opposition does have.
Old 03-07-15, 02:43 AM   #14
jjhill001

Large pythons are terrible for the Florida ecosystem and damaging to local wildlife. This is a fact. The only problem is that this law was released 20-35 years too late because breeding populations are already in Florida and this law will do nothing to fix the issue. Congratulations government on accomplishing absolutely nothing. Then again what were you guys expecting the government hasn't done anything useful since the Clinton administration.
Old 03-07-15, 04:35 AM   #15
CrotalusR#1

This is only going to make the underground "black market" erupt. If people really want there snakes they will make it happen, they will find ways with disregard to the law. That's only going to make things worse.... I almost can't help but chuckle when I hear these outrageous claims on what these "man eaters" and "monsters" are capable of, truly asinine.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread