sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-13, 09:29 PM   #1
ErikBush97
Banned

JCP or GTP?

Hi, there. I'd consider myself an intermediate keeper and I'd like to add a new addition.
I've been into GTP's and JCP's since I've heard about 'em. I like GTP's a lot more than JCP's, to be honest with you. However, I'd like to know how hard they are to care for. I don't want anything that's going to take tons and tons of energy. I am perfectly happy with putting in effort but I don't wanna break my back on this, because I have a lot going on and I don't wanna take bad care of my (maybe) new pet. I'm also going to checkout a few care sheets, bit for now, I'd like to hear your opinions and info.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-01-13, 09:33 PM   #2
Mikoh4792

Re: JCP or GTP?

I'd say jungles take a little more to take care of than GTP's. They require a bit more space and hotter temperatures. Not only that they eat bigger food.

So far my GTP has been the snake that I've had to put the least effort into. If you have a "real" snake cage and not a screen top enclosure, you won't have problems with humidity. In fact you might have trouble trying to keep the humidity down. I've had to drill a lot of holes in my setup to keep the humidity less than 65% without misting.

Although GTP's are more sensitive, so they are less forgiving of husbandry mistakes. But once you have husbandry down they are very rewarding to keep.
Old 10-01-13, 09:35 PM   #3
ErikBush97
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
I'd say jungles take a little more to take care of than GTP's. They require a bit more space and hotter temperatures. Not only that they eat bigger food.

So far my GTP has been the snake that I've had to put the least effort into. If you have a "real" snake cage and not a screen top enclosure, you won't have problems with humidity. In fact you might have trouble trying to keep the humidity down. I've had to drill a lot of holes in my setup to keep the humidity less than 65% without misting.
I absolutely despise mesh tops FISH tanks used for snakes. Which race is considered most tame?
Old 10-01-13, 09:37 PM   #4
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotsaQuestion View Post
I absolutely despise mesh tops FISH tanks used for snakes. Which race is considered most tame?
Well I don't have the personal experience to compare all the different races. But Biaks and Yapen definitely come to mind as the more aggressive races. But even then that has mostly to do with w.c. vs c.b.b, husbandry and individual personality.

I've handled cyclops/lerehs, sorongs, misools...etc and they were all very docile with no inclination to strike. I'd say you increase your chances of getting a tame one if you buy a captive bred and just talk to the breeder first.
Old 10-01-13, 09:43 PM   #5
ErikBush97
Banned

Quote:
Well I don't have the personal experience to compare all the different races. But Biaks and Yapen definitely come to mind as the more aggressive races. But even then that has mostly to do with w.c. vs c.b.b, husbandry and individual personality.

I've handled cyclops/lerehs, sorongs, misools...etc and they were all very docile with no inclination to strike. I'd say you increase your chances of getting a tame one if you buy a captive bred and just talk to the breeder first.
How do you control your temps and what type of heating are you using? Sorry... Flooding you with questions lol don't some Thermostats have a night drop feature?
Login to remove ads
Old 10-01-13, 09:50 PM   #6
Mikoh4792

Quote:
How do you control your temps and what type of heating are you using? Sorry... Flooding you with questions lol don't some Thermostats have a night drop feature?
I have the night to myself...I'll be here all night lol.

For which snakes? For my chondros I use a radiant heat panel hooked up to a thermostat. The probe goes on the highest perch set to 85F. From that spot the temperatures taper off. At night I give them a night drop of mid to high 70's.

for my carpets I use anything. I have one in a large enclosure for it's size so I use both RHP's and heat mats to create small basking spots, just small enough to let the cage cool down towards the end.

In the smaller enclosures I use either only belly heat or only overhead heat.

edit: Yes the herpstat gives you a night drop feature. Although I think the lower end models do not, you'd have to check with the site.
Old 10-01-13, 09:53 PM   #7
ErikBush97
Banned

Quote:
I have the night to myself...I'll be here all night lol.

For which snakes? For my chondros I use a radiant heat panel hooked up to a thermostat. The probe goes on the highest perch set to 85F. From that spot the temperatures taper off. At night I give them a night drop of mid to high 70's.

for my carpets I use anything. I have one in a large enclosure for it's size so I use both RHP's and heat mats to create small basking spots, just small enough to let the cage cool down towards the end.

In the smaller enclosures I use either only belly heat or only overhead heat.

edit: Yes the herpstat gives you a night drop feature. Although I think the lower end models do not.
I think I want to go with a GTP. Maybe I'll go with Animal Plastics cage, Ceramic Heat Emmiter, Humidifier, and a Herpstat. Not 100% on whether or not I'll buy one for sure.
Old 10-01-13, 09:55 PM   #8
Mikoh4792

Quote:
I think I want to go with a GTP. Maybe I'll go with Animal Plastics cage, Ceramic Heat Emmiter, Humidifier, and a Herpstat. Not 100% on whether or not I'll buy one for sure.
Why not a radiant heat panel?
Old 10-01-13, 10:01 PM   #9
ErikBush97
Banned

Quote:
Why not a radiant heat panel?
I've heard that they're a pain to setup. How hard was it to get yours up and working?
Old 10-01-13, 10:04 PM   #10
Mikoh4792

Quote:
I've heard that they're a pain to setup. How hard was it to get yours up and working?
They are easier than a light bulb/CHE in my opinion. Just screw it to the top of the enclosure using two screws and that's it. With a bulb or CHE you need to get a guard and a socket.

Both are easy I guess, but RHP's take less work and don't dry out the enclosure as much.

I would ditch the humidifier. It will make things too humid and create an environment for bacteria and mold.

I only mist my chondro cages once a week.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-01-13, 10:14 PM   #11
ErikBush97
Banned

Quote:
They are easier than a light bulb/CHE in my opinion. Just screw it to the top of the enclosure using two screws and that's it. With a bulb or CHE you need to get a guard and a socket.

Both are easy I guess, but RHP's take less work and don't dry out the enclosure as much.

I would ditch the humidifier. It will make things too humid and create an environment for bacteria and mold.

I only mist my chondro cages once a week.
Awesome. What brand and model caging are you using?
I think I'll just copy your setup lol
Old 10-01-13, 10:19 PM   #12
Mikoh4792

I use a 3x2x2 from PVCcages.com. Great enclosures for chondros. They normally ship out one week after ordering which is probably the quickest turn around time compared to other caging manufacturers.

Depending on whether you use paper or substrate, the size of your water bowl...etc you may have to drill some holes like I did using a power drill. Those cages are crazy good at keeping in humidity and heat....maybe too good.

You can also order a radiant heat panel from the site that they actually screw onto the cage for you.
Old 10-01-13, 10:24 PM   #13
ErikBush97
Banned

Quote:
I use a 3x2x2 from PVCcages.com. Great enclosures for chondros. They normally ship out one week after ordering which is probably the quickest turn around time compared to other caging manufacturers.

Depending on whether you use paper or substrate, the size of your water bowl...etc you may have to drill some holes like I did using a power drill. Those cages are crazy good at keeping in humidity and heat....maybe too good.

You can also order a radiant heat panel from the site that they actually screw onto the cage for you.
Still a little iffy. One thing that is a little bothersome is the fact that all the care sheets, and most people say that they shouldn't be handled frequently. Interaction is one of the best things about owning snakes, imo. :/
Old 10-01-13, 10:29 PM   #14
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Still a little iffy. One thing that is a little bothersome is the fact that all the care sheets, and most people say that they shouldn't be handled frequently. Interaction is one of the best things about owning snakes, imo. :/
Well people keep snakes for different reasons. Green tree pythons can be handled, but they are not the type to handle as frequently as other snakes. I personally don't handle mine unless I need to for maintenance. I like to appreciate them from afar and enjoy observing them in their habitat instead of interacting with them.
Old 10-01-13, 10:33 PM   #15
ErikBush97
Banned

Quote:
Well people keep snakes for different reasons. Green tree pythons can be handled, but they are not the type to handle as frequently as other snakes. I personally don't handle mine unless I need to for maintenance. I like to appreciate them from afar and enjoy observing them in their habitat instead of interacting with them.
I still think it'd be awesome to have and observe one, but they're like the most beautiful snakes ever. It's like having a Ferrari, and looking at it in your garage.. But not driving it lol
Anyways, I'm still thinking about it. Still amazing animals. I did get to hold a few and they're super awesome! Should Hide spaces be offered to them, being primarily Aboreal?
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread