border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-15, 08:12 AM   #1
EcoM

Advice for becoming a breeder?

I am a college Junior working on my BS in Ecology, and since I started volunteering at my local nature center I have been looking into the possibility of breeding Western Hognose snakes. I will not be able to start affording this until I finish my degree but I want to do my proper research until I can
I have researched the proper permits and licenses for my state and city, and since this is a native breed it's not a problem to keep, breed and commercially sell nongame species. What I really want to know is where to purchase good racks and 6-25qt tubs to keep my snakes in over their lives, where/who are good vendors/breeders to buy Hognose snakes from, how much is too much, and how to build a proper incubator. I have cared for many snakes and lizards growing up so care is not an issue and I plan to do this as a hobby any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Login to remove ads
Old 04-08-15, 12:27 PM   #2
Jim Smith

Re: Advice for becoming a breeder?

It's great to see you doing your homework before you take the plunge. That said, there's tons of good information out there and I would recommend that you read through several sources to determine what will work best for you. If you haven't done so yet, look on Facebook to join some specialty reptile groups related to breeding and/or Hognose snakes. As far as good breeders, vendors, etc. since you are not ready to make your investments yet, I suggest that you start doing this research a bit closer to your start date. When you do get ready to start, I strongly recommend that you get your enclosures all set up and ready for your animals prior to buying your snakes. This will allow them to acclimate more easily and be less stressed. You should also plan on starting small, perhaps with a trio from a reputable breeder. Since it takes the same amount of effort to produce "normal" snakes as it does to produce some of the fancier morphs, I would save enough money to get the morphs I wanted rather than doing all the work for "normal" Hognose snakes. If that's the direction you choose to take, then about a year out from your planned start date, you could start shopping some of the known quality breeders and put your name and money on the list for the snakes that you're wanting for your breeding project. Just my thoughts... Good Luck!
Old 04-08-15, 06:12 PM   #3
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Since you've got time on your hands before you get into this I would take Jim's advice. Just surf around on the web, find out who's who on forums and social media. Join a few classified pages on FB and just keep an eye on things.

As for racks, you can build your own or buy some. Plenty of great companies. One name that comes up often is Animal Plastics. Give them a look.

As for prices of snakes. Again, you've got time. Things will change so I would keep an eye on the forums and classifieds and just see what seems to sell for what. Goto a couple local expos and see what's around. Ask questions.
Old 04-09-15, 12:07 AM   #4
toddnbecka

Here's a link to a FB group that's all about building racks and enclosures. Plenty of sellers on there too.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6332...?ref=bookmarks
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 04-09-15, 10:03 AM   #5
EcoM

@Jim I plan on getting all of my enclosures ready long before I buy any snakes, I'm actually planning on making my own reptile room out of a 10 Ft x 16 Ft shed broken into two rooms. It's going to be a life time investment but it's something I am very passionate about doing, I know full well it won't be my only source of income. I've got about two more years until I'll have all the required credits to graduate, until then I'll be going to shows and asking questions

@Aaron I'm kind of a research nut so I'll be keeping my eye on market trends over the next two years

@todd Thank you for the link I can already see this is a pretty awesome group!
Login to remove ads
Old 04-09-15, 12:47 PM   #6
CUNeuroTox

As someone who started breeding boas a few years ago, take the time to consider both monetary and time variables. Most breeders ultimately engage in breeding because its a passion of theirs, not for the money. If you are dedicated and ambitious it is a very rewarding hobby. If not, it does become a major load and time suck. I personally love it, but I have seen others build racks, get breeding stock, have hatchlings and then fizzle out, only to be left with a ton of unwanted animals.
Old 04-10-15, 07:56 PM   #7
EcoM

I completely understand, it is irritating when you see people with animals that they don't care for and just bought them on a whim, I have had too many friends that have done this and it usually resulted in the death of the animals, I for one can not stand that. I realize this would take up quite a bit of my money and time but I will find a way to make it work, I have always loved animals, especially reptiles. That is why, out of respect and love for these animals, I will prepare as much as possible before I ever bring any into my home with the intentions of breeding them.
Old 04-11-15, 08:15 AM   #8
pet_snake_78

Do you want to make money or just do it for the love of raising the animals? There are already lots and lots of people breeding Western Hognose snakes. If that's the species you truly love then I'd say go for it, but if you're doing this as a passion I'd research all available species and see what really strikes your fancy. I will hardly go to most reptile shows because you see the same 2 or 3 species on almost every table... but this one is a willy wonka het yadda yadda lol
Old 04-13-15, 07:51 PM   #9
EcoM

pet_snake I actually enjoying raising animals, I always have. I don't really plan on this being a major money maker, just a way for me to enjoy the species of snake I love. I understand that it is quite a popular species and I'm sure lots of people breed and sell them. I'm a genetics nerd and the amount of amazing morphs that come with this species gives me a challenge that I very much enjoy, I know there are plenty of other species out there that have just as many morphs but I absolutely adore hogs. For now I want to start with the species I love and see where it takes me.
Old 04-15-15, 06:59 PM   #10
pet_snake_78

Sounds like a plan! There are also madagascar and tricolor hognoses, so plenty of variety in the umbrella of species we refer to as hognoses.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
breeder, first time, hognose