border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > General Crocodilian Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-17, 05:10 PM   #16
Cricket1234

Re: Caiman got ups.

Don't caimans and other crocadillians need more water than that? I know caimans are more terrestrial than other crocs but I usually see them with more water. I don't own any myself, so I do not know though. I am not hatin just wondering because I do not know myself lol
Old 01-06-17, 04:37 AM   #17
KrokadilyanGuy3

Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3

Most crocodilians typically need a 50/50 enclosure. A lot of people house these animals in mostly water with maybe a rock or a stick to bask on and realistically is an incorrect way to keep crocodilians.

Paleosuchus are more of a terrestrial Genus in comparison, and even hatchlings like to venture out on land. Most people do not provide ample land for crocodilians and assume since others keep mostly aquatic set ups, that must be the way to do it. Monkey see monkey do. Can it work, sure but you'll also see a lot of underlying issues, especially if you keep multiple animals together.

This animal is now in a 7'x2'x2' enclosure with a third of the floor space being water. He spends a lot of his daytime activity being in the water, or when I mess with him, he instantly runs towards the water but at night and some hours in the day he will venture out and walk around. He also has a couple of "dens" in the substrate and in the plant containers. He uses the bark hides people buy for snakes at times as well.
There is literally no area this animal hasn't used and keeping crocodilians in small enclosures with mostly water is an injustice, especially this species.
Old 01-11-17, 03:58 PM   #18
Cricket1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrokadilyanGuy3 View Post
Most crocodilians typically need a 50/50 enclosure. A lot of people house these animals in mostly water with maybe a rock or a stick to bask on and realistically is an incorrect way to keep crocodilians.

Paleosuchus are more of a terrestrial Genus in comparison, and even hatchlings like to venture out on land. Most people do not provide ample land for crocodilians and assume since others keep mostly aquatic set ups, that must be the way to do it. Monkey see monkey do. Can it work, sure but you'll also see a lot of underlying issues, especially if you keep multiple animals together.

This animal is now in a 7'x2'x2' enclosure with a third of the floor space being water. He spends a lot of his daytime activity being in the water, or when I mess with him, he instantly runs towards the water but at night and some hours in the day he will venture out and walk around. He also has a couple of "dens" in the substrate and in the plant containers. He uses the bark hides people buy for snakes at times as well.
There is literally no area this animal hasn't used and keeping crocodilians in small enclosures with mostly water is an injustice, especially this species.
Ok I was just wondering, as I always have seen them kept that way. The subject inspired me to do some research, and you were right lol. Good luck with you caiman!
Old 01-14-17, 02:34 AM   #19
KrokadilyanGuy3

Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3

Depending on what you read, it could be stuff I wrote, so it may be a bit biased lol.
Old 05-10-17, 07:49 PM   #20
MM1

Hope you and your caiman are doing well. Just perusing the threads and got curious about he's coming along the past few months. I ant have one, so I have to live vicariously... Lol.
Closed Thread