border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-21, 09:35 PM   #1
changelingash

Question Effects of Not Eating

Hello again everyone. You may remember me as the one who had a 7-month-old spotted python who refused to eat for nearly two months before finally being given live.

A little update: After a few live feedings to give her some bulk, I put her back onto frozen/thawed, which after taking the first feed, she went off again, and it took about a month and a half for her to finally take a frozen/thawed one again, causing a second 6 week fast. After three feedings, she went off food again for 3 weeks before her next accepted meal.

In summary, she had two 6-7 week fasts and one 3 week fast in her first 11 months of life.

Now that I think(fingers crossed) that she is finally eating well, I was curious if all this fasting was going to have long-term effects on her. When I tried to research the long-term effects myself, I only found tips on how to get them to eat. Does anyone know if this is going to stunt her growth permanently or cause her a poor quality of life? I don't want her to suffer for her having a third of her first year refusing to eat.

She is still very small for being a year old(pic enclosed), so she is clearly stunted in her growth at the moment, but will she bounce back and grow once she's nourished?
Attached Images
File Type: png Amara_outsidetime.png (1.42 MB, 6 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 06-02-21, 01:26 AM   #2
Pythonguy1

Re: Effects of Not Eating

As long as she's eating fine now I don't see any life long effects apart from the fact that she's a bit small for her age. Just feed her up (weekly at this age) make sure her temps are correct and monitor her health and she should be fine.
Genesis 1:24- And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so.
Old 06-04-21, 10:37 AM   #3
changelingash

Thank you so much, I'll be keeping her on her steady feeding schedule!
Old 06-04-21, 10:45 AM   #4
chairman

I agree. I've seen a handful of snakes that suffered long term harm caused by underfeeding at a young age (suspected culprit was organ damage from malnutrition) but it seems to be very rare. I think snakes have, generally, adapted quite well to fluctuations in prey availability and can handle reasonable periods of not eating.
Closed Thread

Tags
baby snake, eating issues, feeding, illness, spotted python