border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-21, 07:15 AM   #1
Helena_S_P

Question Hognose won't come out of his burrow

Hi! This is my first post and I wasn't sure which forum this should go in so I've put it in general discussion.

I've just got my first snake, he's a hognose and he's just over a month old. I got him yesterday, he explored his viv for a bit and then started burrowing, but he hasn't come out since. I'm probably just a bit nervous because I'm new to this, but should I be concerned that he's been in there for 24 hours? I don't really know what 'normal' behaviour is.

Any other advice for a new owner also welcome!

Helena
Login to remove ads
Old 01-07-21, 11:51 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Hognose won't come out of his burrow

Welcome to the forum Helena. Congrats on the new hoggie. They're so cute . If you just got him, and his temps/husbandry are dialed in, I'd advise just leaving him alone for a couple of weeks except for cage maintenance. Once he gets acclimated to his new enclosure I'm sure he'll start to explore more. Best wishes with your new critter.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 01-08-21, 12:12 AM   #3
poison123

Nothing to worry about. Common for new snakes to stay hiding. Hognoses are huge burrowers so he's just doing what is natural.
Old 01-09-21, 07:59 AM   #4
Helena_S_P

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
Welcome to the forum Helena. Congrats on the new hoggie. They're so cute . If you just got him, and his temps/husbandry are dialed in, I'd advise just leaving him alone for a couple of weeks except for cage maintenance. Once he gets acclimated to his new enclosure I'm sure he'll start to explore more. Best wishes with your new critter.
Ok, thank you. I’m working on getting the ambient temp up, he’s in a vivexotic 2 foot viv and currently only has a mat set at 32°c. Ambient at 23 in the middle of the viv so I’m looking into a lamp/ceramic heater as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
burrowing, hognose, new owner, question, snake behavior