border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-14, 11:25 AM   #1
DCMandHisHerps

Help on BP Humidity?

Hey guys I'm excited to be apart of the forum now I just made this right now, but for my BP who we call Rocky all because hes my little fighter, needs increased humidity. I have him in a 20G tank right now but I can increase to a 40G very soon. He has a towel over the top, a bowl to bathe in, coco fiber as substrate but its not holding humidity too well. So I have a little question, I had this Eco Earth for a while and I don't need it much anymore. Can I mix that half and half with the coco fiber so the humidity can be raised a bit?

Thank you!
Login to remove ads
Old 10-06-14, 09:47 AM   #2
LISA127

Send a message via Yahoo to LISA127
Re: Help on BP Humidity?

Eco Earth is coco fibre isn't it?

Also, use a large surface water bowl and try covering the top of the enclosure with heavy duty aluminum foil.
Old 10-06-14, 11:39 AM   #3
NewHerp293

Welcome to it!! Sorry cant help with an answer but im sure someone here can. Also check out the ball python section here, probably lots of people with similar humidity issues!

1.0 Leopard Gecko 0.1 Rosy Boa 0.0.1 Western Painted Turtle
Old 10-06-14, 03:40 PM   #4
Tgunz127

Put a fish tank airstone in your water dish the bubbles will greatly increase the humidity in the tank ... Also like said above cover the top with something to hold humidity inside
Old 10-06-14, 04:13 PM   #5
mrgrimm

Are you pouring water on the towel daily? Not so much to where it pours down on the substrate, but a few drips is OK and that way you know the towel is saturated.

Also, pick up a spray bottle and lightly mist the enclosure several times a day.

If you are using a heat lamp that will dry it out quickly, so try to get your heat from an under tank heater pad or tape.

What are your actual % readings? I try to keep mine between 50-65% and before a shed bump it to 75% or so and it seems to work well.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-07-14, 12:41 AM   #6
bigsnakegirl785

The easiest way to increase humidity would be to switch to a plastic tub on flexwatt or a UTH.

As far as keeping the tank: How do you take care of your bedding? With EcoEarth, it's best to just pour water into the bedding and mix it up. You just need to be careful how much you pour into it, you don't want it to be too wet otherwise it could cause scale rot. Just misting doesn't do anything in my experience. EcoEarth is coco fiber, so you'll just be mixing two different brands together. You can also switch to a UTH or heat tape as well, which should help retain humidity as heat bulbs have a very intense, dry heat. If you can get rid of lamps completely, you can also replace the top with plexiglass and drill a few holes into for air flow.

Tags
ball python, herp, humidity, snake humidity