border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-18, 09:33 AM   #1
kingolive

Retic Breathing and Scale Problems

My reticulated python, Jasmine, has started to concern me greatly. Her breathing sounds very mucusy. She has repticarpet substrate, an under tank heater, a 35-watt heat bulb, and the humidity is at 26 when she is not in shed, and raised to 33 when she is in shed. I have tried raising her temp, from an average of 95 to 100. I have also raised the humidity due to her problems with shedding, which she is now shedding fully. She is currently showing signs that she is about to shed (cloudy eyes, dull skin). I am debating whether or not to take her to a vet. I am up to constructive criticism and I am willing to change anything to keep my girl healthy.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-28-18, 03:18 PM   #2
DJC Reptiles

Re: Retic Breathing and Scale Problems

It sounds like your retic is suffering from a respiratory infection. I want to warn you that your humidity is very low, and this is most likely what caused it. Raise the humidity to 60% when she is not in shed, and 80% when she is in shed.
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Old 01-28-18, 03:43 PM   #3
kingolive

Thank You so much! I will raise the humidity right away.
Old 01-28-18, 06:22 PM   #4
MDT

kingolive... just a bit of advice. Firstly, the repti-carpet needs to go. Look into other substrates that will hold moisture better and easier to keep clean. Additionally, that heat bulb is baking your retic, unless you have it and the UTH on a thermostat, you'll never be able to regulate temps properly. Your retic needs a gradient of heat from high 70's on one end to high 80's on warm side. Lastly, yes, take to a qualified retile vet. The lack of humidity didn't cause the infection per se (that is either from bacteria, viruses, or fungi), but the quality of husbandry ( poor humidity, temps, etc) will cause the animal to be stressed and lower the ability to fight off infectious organisms. You will need an exam and most likely lab studies to determine the cause and best treatment for your animal.
Old 01-28-18, 08:10 PM   #5
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
kingolive... just a bit of advice. Firstly, the repti-carpet needs to go. Look into other substrates that will hold moisture better and easier to keep clean. Additionally, that heat bulb is baking your retic, unless you have it and the UTH on a thermostat, you'll never be able to regulate temps properly. Your retic needs a gradient of heat from high 70's on one end to high 80's on warm side. Lastly, yes, take to a qualified retile vet. The lack of humidity didn't cause the infection per se (that is either from bacteria, viruses, or fungi), but the quality of husbandry ( poor humidity, temps, etc) will cause the animal to be stressed and lower the ability to fight off infectious organisms. You will need an exam and most likely lab studies to determine the cause and best treatment for your animal.
I agree, this all is very necessary. I hope your pet turns out okay.
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Login to remove ads
Old 01-31-18, 11:56 PM   #6
Shauna0522

Send a message via MSN to Shauna0522 Send a message via Yahoo to Shauna0522

Quote:
I'm sure that's what DJC was meaning. I hope your baby feels better kingolive.
Old 02-05-18, 01:27 AM   #7
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Too low of humidity can dry out the mucus membranes, causing damage, and opening them up to infections by destroying that protective layer. Low humidity can definitely be a cause of an RI (depending on how you look at it), retics should have constant high humidity of 70-80%+.
Old 02-05-18, 06:13 AM   #8
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Too low of humidity can dry out the mucus membranes, causing damage, and opening them up to infections by destroying that protective layer. Low humidity can definitely be a cause of an RI (depending on how you look at it), retics should have constant high humidity of 70-80%+.
Not argue semantics, but the cause will be from a pathogenic organism. Without bacteria/virus/fungi, there will be no infection. The inciting event will typically be environmental (weather the keeper's husbandry, or a naturally occurring phenomena).
Old 02-05-18, 05:17 PM   #9
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Not argue semantics, but the cause will be from a pathogenic organism. Without bacteria/virus/fungi, there will be no infection. The inciting event will typically be environmental (weather the keeper's husbandry, or a naturally occurring phenomena).
That's why I said it depends on how you look at it. Sure, the pathogen infected it, but they wouldn't have been able to get in if the humidity wasn't so low the snake's protective membranes were split open, and as long as the humidity is too low, it will be a constant battle to heal the infection.
Old 02-05-18, 10:47 PM   #10
MDT

Login to remove ads
Old 02-06-18, 01:36 PM   #11
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts.
Closed Thread