sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-09, 06:17 PM   #1
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783
Question Spilotes pullatus cloaca problem- help and advice please!!

Hi guys,

I bought a tiger ratsnake (Spilotes pullatus) at a show. It was on eco-sand at the show. When I got it home and took it out of the snake bag it was in, I noticed the cloaca was open and pale. There appeared to be sand all over it, and the scales around it didn't look too good- the snake could not close its cloaca. I didn't notice redness or discharge, but it looks AWFUL and there is a strong odor coming from it. I emailed the seller who told me he'd work with me. I want to know what I should do for this poor guy. I soaked him in warm water in the tub and he drank and drank and drank. I noticed scales and such coming off of him, but didn't find mites. I am going to soak him again, but I am wondering what I can do to clean his cloaca out. Can I use a q-tip to swab in there, or a sterile snake probe to try to scrape it out? I have antibiotic ointment (I think teramycin)- should I put that on it? I am going to feed him tomorrow and watch him to see if he can defecate. I have no idea if it is infected or just has sand inside- it just looks nasty. I took a picture which I've attached- it isn't the best but does show how it can't close to cloaca. I have the snake in a 55-gallon tank with white paper towels, in quarantine. I have a vet close by I trust that I can take him to if I need to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tigerratcloaca.jpg (20.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 08-01-09, 08:49 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Spilotes pullatus cloaca problem- help and advice please!!

The snake probably won't eat for you right away. In it's current condition it almost seems like it's W/C. Was it CBB? I'd personally leave it alone and see how things develop. I don't want to recommend any treatment as I haven't experienced something like this.
Old 08-02-09, 08:11 AM   #3
Will0W783

It is an import.
Old 08-02-09, 01:29 PM   #4
Chu'Wuti

Poor snake! I have no clue what to tell you other than good luck, Kimberly!

Sandy
Old 08-02-09, 02:30 PM   #5
Smilts

I would tend to agree with a soaking but not to long of one and give it a week or so to see how things are going before futher treatment or feeding.. I would stay away from using anything like a Q-tip to try and clean inside it since it may push some sand or debree in further if anything causing more irritation...
Login to remove ads
Old 08-02-09, 02:39 PM   #6
Will0W783

Thanks Coy. An update so far. I was told it was being fed 2-3 live mice a week. I gave it a mouse and it wanted nothing to do with it. That didn't worry me all that much as it is new and might not be comfortable enough to eat yet. It did pee a copious amount this morning. After all the water it guzzled yesterday, no wonder! At the center of the pee was a lump of greenish sand with white cheesy looking stuff around it and a little spot of blood. It was able to close the cloaca now, but it still looks inflamed and nasty. I also think the scales around it are from the last shed and didn't come out. They look dried out and yellowed. I will soak him again tonight for 10-15 minutes. For a wild caught, he is quite calm and docile about everything. He is very alert and inquisitive at least, so I don't think he's in life-threatening condition. Poor little guy- he's soo neat. The scales along his back are like a ridge, and he has ridges of scales down the sides of his tail. The scales are large and triangulated; he feels like what I would imagine a mythical dragon would feel like. I named him Darth Vader (I'm not a Star wars nut; just thought it fit with the alien look and feel of him..lol).
Old 08-02-09, 02:59 PM   #7
Smilts

Tiger rats are pretty cool. I havnt owned one but have been around them... The soaking should help with the irritation, but it sounds like he just needs some time and care. Importing WC's is very hard on the snake they get dehydrated often and care in general is bad. Good luck, with him I hope he keeps improving...
Old 08-02-09, 05:54 PM   #8
Will0W783

The poor guy didn't make it. He seemed a bit lethargic today and showed no interest in the mouse I tried to feed. I went upstairs about a half hour ago and he was limp and twitching. I tried to get him to the tub to warm him in warm water but he was gone before I got him in. I am in contact with the seller to try to get a refund. Lesson learned- check cloacas and DON"t deal with WC.
Old 08-02-09, 08:11 PM   #9
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

I doubt he was eating at all if his back was 'ridged'. It's a sign of weight loss. The guy probably lied to you.
Old 08-02-09, 08:33 PM   #10
Will0W783

Honestly, I don't think this guy knew too much about snakes. He had put them on sand at the show "because it was the only open tank" (he had other open ones when I was at the stand) and he told me in his opinion vets kill more than they save. Also the show claimed all animals had been examined by show vet which I found out is not true. There is a vet on premises, but the vet does not examine all the animals. Needless to say, I'm pissed. A poor snake's life was thrown away for no good reason. Some people's lack of care for the animals infuriates me. That poor poor little snake. I did all I could, but I guess it just wasn't enough. The tiger rats do have a teardrop-shaped body so the "ridge" in the back is actually triangle-shaped scales, but I do not know if the snake was actually eating or when it had last had a meal. I sent the guy an email and called him but haven't gotten a response yet.
Old 08-02-09, 09:04 PM   #11
jparker1167

Send a message via AIM to jparker1167

sorry to hear about the tiger. but i dont think being in the sand for a few hours at the show caused it that fast it was probably unhealthy to begin with. i see your in philly so i imagine this was hambrug. i was talking to a friend and he said a guy up there had a pair of tiger rats that where marked at $650 im trying to find out what kind of tigers they where and who the vendor was if you have any idea that would be awsome..

i have a tiger rat too and he would not eat when i was watching i had to leave the rodent in over night. they are amazing snakes if you get a chance to get another one dont pass it up just check it over.. its insane watchign one eat a mouse in 5 seconds lol.
Old 08-03-09, 06:10 AM   #12
Will0W783

The only tiger rats I saw were a pair marked at $65 from Creatures of the Night. Is your tiger rat wild caught or captive bred? I found 2 month old ones online for $200. Is that a good price?
Old 08-03-09, 06:10 AM   #13
Will0W783

I really liked the snake. It was so gorgeous and incredibly unique. I definitely want to get another one.
Old 08-12-09, 01:29 PM   #14
Will0W783

Ok, so I talked to the seller on the phone last Thursday August 6 and was told that he would go online and issue me a refund for the snake, since I paid for it with Paypal. He claimed he had a tornado hit his house and needed a new roof, gutters, etc. so I don't want to jump down his throat, but it's now August 12 and I still haven't heard anything or gotten the refund. I am starting to get worried. I do not want credit from this guy as I don't want another one of his animals; I just want my money back and I was given a 2-week guarantee on the animal and told him and sent pics the day it died. How long should I wait before I threaten a Paypal dispute and Bad Guy thread on Fauna? I want to get my money back and I was furious with the condition of the animal when I got it home and found out how dehydrated it was. Would it be fair to send him an email tomorrow?
Old 08-12-09, 03:06 PM   #15
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Read everything but the best advice I can offer is too stick with Captive Bred specimens.
WC imports are nothing but problems & should be left to those with lots of experience dealing with illnesses & parasites.
Why risk ones entire collection? Even with quarantine what about the potential of airborne virus?
Importers at any given time have fresh WC specimens from all corners of the globe in close proximity to one another. Just asking for trouble IMHO Mark
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
cloaca, impaction, infected, tiger ratsnake