Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-04, 10:10 PM   #1
zero&stich

Send a message via MSN to zero&stich
Pituophis ruthveni caresheet?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good caresheet for P. ruthveni? I been eyeing a "baby" and I wanted to read up on them a little. Any help would be great.

Thank you.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-15-04, 09:31 AM   #2
zero&stich

Hmm, noone??
Old 09-15-04, 01:08 PM   #3
vanderkm

I suspect that there are few responses because no one here specifically keeps the Louisiana pine snake. I think a google search for pituophis in general would likely turn up some info and the care and managment of pines, gophers and bullsnakes in captivity is all pretty similar so you could apply what you get from a general search to Louisiana pinesnakes.

Would love to see photos if you end up getting this guy - the pits are great snakes. One general site that has info on pits is called The Pituophis Page - but it is based on another site that doesn't crosslink with ssnakess - so can't post the web link here. Try a google search for that one though.

mary v.
Old 09-15-04, 08:32 PM   #4
zero&stich

Mary,
Thanks so much for the response. I'm a bit rusty on keeping colobrids(5 yr lapse) so I wanted to read up on them and more specifically this little dude.

I'm setting up a small rubbermaid enclosure at the moment, soo theres a good chance I'll end up with em!

After he's all settled in and eating, sure, I'd love to post a pic, if my comp cooperates, lol.

Thanks again.
Jess
PS Will run that search also.
Old 09-15-04, 11:56 PM   #5
Vanan

Send a message via MSN to Vanan
Jess, doubt anyone on ssnakes has the experience with such a cool and underrated Pine. Also given the fact that they're protected.

I'm sure general pine husbandry similar to Southern Pines would work just as fine. Never heard anyone mention anything special about keeping them. Congrats on owning (if you have already got it. If you haven't, go get it!!! lol!) such a cool species. Post some pics when you have the time!

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs" - C. Cornell
Login to remove ads
Old 09-16-04, 10:31 PM   #6
zero&stich

Snakes paid for, now comes the fun part. Settin up the enclosure!
Hehe I got the pine. Actually never owned a pine before. But I'm not new to Colubrids. Seein how I was readin that these guys can take rabbits, sounds like these guys get a decent girth, lol. I'm all for it!
As soon as he's settled in and the landlord doesnt tag me, I'll post pics of my new Louie Pine.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Oh, one question before I go, I'm not totally sure on humidty. Does 50% sound ok? And I'm assuming 85 for a temp should be good in a rubbermaid sweater box complete w/pad+thermostat? Heh just double checking.
Jess
Old 09-17-04, 09:00 AM   #7
vanderkm

Congrats on getting the pine!! Pics will be great.

I am not too sure on the humidity but think that should be fine - we haven't had pines - just bullsnakes - but expect you are right about the size of these guys - if they are like bulls they do get girthy.

The sweaterbox with 85 degree hot spots sounds fine - likely with a drop of 5-10 degrees at night. Expect Vanan can help more with the details.

Look forward to seeing him,

mary v.
Old 09-17-04, 10:48 AM   #8
Vanan

They may have been known to take rabbits in the wild but only on occasion though. Feeding such a large prey item may stress your snake and result in a regurgitation. Take it slow with feeding initially and stick with rats for a while. Otherwise everything else sounds great! Looking forward to seeing pics!!

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs" - C. Cornell
Old 09-17-04, 11:42 AM   #9
Crazycorn

Send a message via ICQ to Crazycorn Send a message via AIM to Crazycorn Send a message via MSN to Crazycorn Send a message via Yahoo to Crazycorn
I want a louisiana Pine! lol All I have is a s... shhhh lol
Old 09-17-04, 02:43 PM   #10
Vanan

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazycorn
I want a louisiana Pine! lol All I have is a s... shhhh lol
LOL! Ssshhh!!!

Login to remove ads
Old 09-17-04, 05:48 PM   #11
zero&stich

Hmm what would be too much humidity? I put him on cypress and enitically(please forgive my spelling) when the mulch comes out it is a bit damp.

I may need some help. To recap he's being housed in a sweater box that is 18 inches L and 9 inches W(roughly) He is about 20 inches long, though I havent phycially measured him yet. So basically hes bein housed in a 10g almost.

I have a small shallow bowl on the cool end heat pad w/thermostat on the other.

Temp is reading 79 degress w/ humidity at 60% which I think is too high. But maybe I'm wrong? Since these animals are native to the states and is not an animal thats from a different continent, would these animals be more adaptable?

If worse comes to worse I can drill more holes, and yep I'd admit I wasn't too patient, lol, bout waiting. Good thing though I have 1 glass tank if need be to move em temporally but the little guy is crusing all over the place wondering where he is, lol. I also admit I'm new to rubbermaids and there is 16 holes of like this ( ) total, 8, on each side of the enclosure. So any helpful advice would be welcomed.

I can't really take pics of the enclosure 1. Little guy is stressed. 2. I only have a webcam to take pics and it takes VERY large pics. And its hard to crop them. I tried postin pics of my other snakes and cropping 8 times, they were still too large for this forum.
Thanks so much for the advice,
Jess

Last edited by zero&stich; 09-17-04 at 06:00 PM..
Old 09-17-04, 07:14 PM   #12
zero&stich

well temps are now at 80, 50% humidity. God he's so cool looking. I saw adult pics. I can't wait! Jumbo rats for him.

I so hope I dont get tagged by the landlord, lol. I can only keep 2, but this hobby is like potato chips. You just cannot stop with one.
Closed Thread