border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-20, 02:23 PM   #1
changelingash

Quarantine Options

I'm currently planning out for when I get my second snake in a few months, but I will be moving into a shared apartment. Do you think that one snake in my bedroom and 1 in my connecting bathroom would work for quarantine? They're the only rooms that are "mine". I'm not sure if it's far enough apart but I'm set on getting a second snake.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-13-20, 08:45 AM   #2
dangernoodles

Re: Quarantine Options

What do you mean by quarantine? If you are worried about the snakes showing aggression towards each other, as long as they are housed apart youŽll be fine- It also depends on how much space you have and how much you are willing to give up.
Old 03-13-20, 10:27 AM   #3
chairman

It is good that you are looking to quarantine a new acquisition. Quarantine is a very useful way to keep parasites and diseases from new snakes from infecting your current snakes.

You will find a lot of opinions about proper ways to quarantine. The real answer is that you do not have the resources to properly quarantine an animal. Neither do I. You essentially need a laboratory environment to properly quarantine.

But what you can do is keep the snakes as far away from each other as possible. And by possible, I mean given the space you have and the ability to keep the snake's environment correct. There's no value in quarantining a snake in the bathroom if the room is too cold, too hot, etc. Bathrooms are going to have massive swings in humidity, so research your snake and see if the humidity changes are going to be an issue. It is better to stick the snakes in opposite corners of the same room than make it difficult to meet the husbandry requirements of your snake.

Wash your hands after handling each snake. Either use different equipment with each snake (like feeding tongs, snake hooks) or thoroughly wash off such equipment before using it on your other snake. Don't contaminate things, say by washing off both water bowls in the same sink at the same time. If a snake refuses to eat then don't try to feed off the mouse/rat on your other snake.

And then just keep an eye on your new snake. Keep it on paper towels and soak it occasionally for the first 2-3 weeks to watch for mites. Monitor its breathing, listening for sounds associated with respiratory infections. Look for other odd behavior, too.

After your new snake has gone for 3 months without issues then you can look into changing the housing arrangements, either by placing the new snake in your rack or sticking the cages closer together.
Old 03-13-20, 11:33 AM   #4
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangernoodles View Post
What do you mean by quarantine? If you are worried about the snakes showing aggression towards each other, as long as they are housed apart youŽll be fine- It also depends on how much space you have and how much you are willing to give up.
Quarantine is an extremely important part of acquiring new snakes when you have existing snakes at home already. I see you commenting an awful lot, which is great, and most of what you're saying is on point. However, when it comes to stuff you're unsure of, maybe let those more experienced help out the newcomers rather than lead them the wrong way...
Old 03-13-20, 11:40 AM   #5
craigafrechette

I personally wouldn't. Bathrooms are just not good rooms for snakes. If it were me, I'd wait until my living situation changed.

Adjoining rooms really aren't far enough to properly quarantine. I'm fortunate enough to have a two story house and I quarantine my new animals on the first floor as far away from my snake room on the second floor as possible.
My thought is this: it's our choice and our responsibility when we bring animals into our homes. They don't get a choice. So unless we can provide the right home and situation for the animal it's not fair to bring it home.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-13-20, 11:48 AM   #6
dangernoodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
Quarantine is an extremely important part of acquiring new snakes when you have existing snakes at home already. I see you commenting an awful lot, which is great, and most of what you're saying is on point. However, when it comes to stuff you're unsure of, maybe let those more experienced help out the newcomers rather than lead them the wrong way...
You are completely right, I guess I donŽt know everything. It would be much better for me to let people who are more experienced to answer questions than I lead them the wrong way. IŽll have to do more research on quarantine to understand what it is, thanks.
Old 03-13-20, 12:58 PM   #7
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangernoodles View Post
You are completely right, I guess I donŽt know everything. It would be much better for me to let people who are more experienced to answer questions than I lead them the wrong way. IŽll have to do more research on quarantine to understand what it is, thanks.
Hey, I'm happy you're so eager to help and active on the forum. I wish this forum had more traffic and more active members like you.

Thanks for being so understanding too. Many people in today's society would have found a way to take offense to my post. So thanks!

Please don't slow down with your replies, like I said, it's almost always spot on!
Old 03-15-20, 04:09 PM   #8
changelingash

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman View Post
It is good that you are looking to quarantine a new acquisition. Quarantine is a very useful way to keep parasites and diseases from new snakes from infecting your current snakes.

You will find a lot of opinions about proper ways to quarantine. The real answer is that you do not have the resources to properly quarantine an animal. Neither do I. You essentially need a laboratory environment to properly quarantine.

But what you can do is keep the snakes as far away from each other as possible. And by possible, I mean given the space you have and the ability to keep the snake's environment correct. There's no value in quarantining a snake in the bathroom if the room is too cold, too hot, etc. Bathrooms are going to have massive swings in humidity, so research your snake and see if the humidity changes are going to be an issue. It is better to stick the snakes in opposite corners of the same room than make it difficult to meet the husbandry requirements of your snake.

Wash your hands after handling each snake. Either use different equipment with each snake (like feeding tongs, snake hooks) or thoroughly wash off such equipment before using it on your other snake. Don't contaminate things, say by washing off both water bowls in the same sink at the same time. If a snake refuses to eat then don't try to feed off the mouse/rat on your other snake.

And then just keep an eye on your new snake. Keep it on paper towels and soak it occasionally for the first 2-3 weeks to watch for mites. Monitor its breathing, listening for sounds associated with respiratory infections. Look for other odd behavior, too.

After your new snake has gone for 3 months without issues then you can look into changing the housing arrangements, either by placing the new snake in your rack or sticking the cages closer together.
Thank you so much for the info, and pointing out the issue with the bathroom, I hadn't thought about that. I'll take all those precautions and tips into account!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
I personally wouldn't. Bathrooms are just not good rooms for snakes. If it were me, I'd wait until my living situation changed.

Adjoining rooms really aren't far enough to properly quarantine. I'm fortunate enough to have a two story house and I quarantine my new animals on the first floor as far away from my snake room on the second floor as possible.
My thought is this: it's our choice and our responsibility when we bring animals into our homes. They don't get a choice. So unless we can provide the right home and situation for the animal it's not fair to bring it home.
I suppose that is true. I would have to talk to my roommates about possible arrangements to see if he would be able to situate somewhere in the basement for a while, and if not, I could follow the advice of chairman for precautions, or figure out something with a friend or my family to watch over him until the quarantine is over.
Old 03-15-20, 04:20 PM   #9
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by changelingash View Post
Thank you so much for the info, and pointing out the issue with the bathroom, I hadn't thought about that. I'll take all those precautions and tips into account!

I suppose that is true. I would have to talk to my roommates about possible arrangements to see if he would be able to situate somewhere in the basement for a while, and if not, I could follow the advice of chairman for precautions, or figure out something with a friend or my family to watch over him until the quarantine is over.
There ya go. I'm not saying don't get a new snake, not by any means. But trying to find a better quarantine option would definitely be in the best interest of the animal.

If I wasn't lucky enough to be with my fiance and own a house, I'd be in the same boat you are, sharing an apartment with a roommate or two and trying to find places for my snakes.

Good luck! I hope you can get something figured out.
Closed Thread

Tags
disease, new snake, quarantine