border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-16, 02:17 PM   #1
Riley

Exclamation Underbelly scabbed up and snake wont eat

A little over a month ago my ball python swallowed a piece of bedding with a mouse and I could tell it tore him up a little bit inside but he didnt seem too effected by it. After his most recent shed, his underbelly looked pretty torn up, I was guessing it was from the woodchip he swallowed and figured he would heal. Well it has been three weeks since he has eaten (usually eats once a week) and his belly has gotten MUCH worse, the part that was torn up now looks scabbed up. He seems hungry, but when a mouse goes near him he gets scared and tries to hide. I think he is affraid the mouse may harm him while he is injured. I tried feeding him frozen and he won't go for it. I have been putting coconut oil on the effected area and trying to feed him periodically, but I am beginning to worry. I also wondered if it was from my undertank heater so I have stopped using that. Can someone tell me what to do next? Is he okay to fast until he is healed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160508_132918.jpg (24.4 KB, 39 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 05-13-16, 09:03 PM   #2
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Re: Underbelly scabbed up and snake wont eat

It looks like a bad burn turned scale rot to me. You need to take him to a vet ASAP if you haven't already.

Do not let his enclosure get cold; that can cause other serious health problems. You need to buy a digital thermostat for your under tank heater to control the temps and prevent it from causing more burns.

What are your tank specs? Humidity, temps, substrate, etc?
Instagram: pareeeee17
Old 05-13-16, 11:16 PM   #3
Albert Clark

Absolutely a critical burn here! Sorry to see this. The animal needs a qualified exotic vet. This is a emergency. The exotic vet needs to know you need to be scheduled in immediately if the snakes prognosis is to be good.
Old 05-14-16, 12:33 AM   #4
Piggybuns

This is definitely from the undertank heater, but you can't just turn it off; snakes need heat. It has to be regulated by a thermostat, the way Pareeeee said, it can keep it from getting too hot. There's not a lot anyone on this board can do for that, that is some serious damage. Get to a vet!
:EDIT: Also there's no possible way a woodchip did that if he swallowed it unless it literally slitted him from the inside, in which... VET?
Old 05-14-16, 10:14 AM   #5
Tiny Boidae

Poor little fella! A vet visit is absolutely 110% mandatory at this point, otherwise that snake will probably end up dying. As others have said, get a thermostat for the UTH and don't just unplug it. What would also probably help is getting out the wood chippings you have in there now and do a really good scrub down of the cage to get it as clean and sterile as possible. Instead of replacing it with more wood chippings, I would use paper towel or something similar. While he's being treated, clean the cage weekly or anytime he soils it with the use of reptile-safe disinfectants. Also, make sure the humidity stays up but don't soak the substrate as that would only aggravate the problem.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, scales, wound